Mystaran NPC Generator (BECMI)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Havard

Re: Mystaran NPC Generator (BECMI)

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:29 am

The file is not moved at all, as you understood. `pwd` is just the command to read the current directory in Linux. mv is to move the file to its final position (it generates it in the working directory). I'll need to add windows specific commands to replace these.

I have uploaded a new version at the usual link, it should solve the issues with running the code on Windows. Please, let me know if it works!

I have also added a link to your installation guide in the first post. Thanks for writing it!

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby aklanda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm

agathokles wrote: mv is to move the file to its final position (it generates it in the working directory). I'll need to add windows specific commands to replace these.

Thats exactly what I meant, but my English is probably not good enough to express it well.

Tested the new version and it works well! Just created 100 characters from Karameikos from level 1 to level 6. And the output really looks great! You made the right decision to trust on LATEX! I'd wish my favorite programming-language (xojo) would allow me to use it without spending about 1000 Dollars for this option.

I get (minor) error messages, which don't seem window specific, like
"failed to load nickname Traladaran" and
"AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'startwith'"

but they don't crash the programm and in my point of view all is well.

A question to the "-o"-parameter:
Am I to give the path as absolute path or as relative path to genpdf.py?
Cause
"genpdf.py -n 100 -m 1 -t 6 -r Karameikos -o 'karameikos.pdf'"
still does create a pdf-file named "npc.pdf", but no pdf-file named "karameikos.pdf".

I had a glimpse at the code (though I am not a professional programmer). To tell the truth I was wondering why you didn`t seperate data from code. But as I went through it I understood, that all the seperate rules for character-creation (for example the dependence of height from region) makes it difficult to do so.

Anyway, it's excellent work and I will surely use some of the generated characters when I play my next round of D&D.
aklanda
Hobgoblin

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks for the praise :-)

"failed to load nickname Traladaran" is expected: I haven't implemented a specific nicknames set for Traladarans.

The other message is an error. I'll need to check it. It may be the cause of the problem with -o you got.

As to the separation of data and code, well, it is a problem of lack of design... I didn't start with the goal to cover all this ground, so at the time, it was easier to just put everything together. On the other hand, in some point having code with the data helps (e.g., I can duplicate easily data sections by copying them).
I've moved a lot of data stuff into config.py, but full separation at the moment is not so easy. I could move a lot of stuff out of the Python code and into JSON data files, though, but then the difference between a JSON data structure and a Python dictionary is so small that it is not really worth the effort, IMO.
Also, as you note a lot of data is rich in dependences.

BTW, I've implemented gender specific height and weight. It is available in the online generator, but not in the code (it's in my git repository, but not yet on google drive).

GP
Last edited by agathokles on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby aklanda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

agathokles wrote:Thanks for the praise :-)

Honor to whom honor is due.

agathokles wrote:As to the separation of data and code, well, it is a problem of lack of design... I didn't start with the goal to cover all this ground, so at the time, it was easier to just put everything together.

I know this problem too well!

agathokles wrote:I could move a lot of stuff out of the Python code and into JSON data files, though, but then the difference between a JSON data structure and a Python dictionary is so small that it is not really worth the effort, IMO.

I agree!
aklanda
Hobgoblin

Postby aklanda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:50 pm

agathokles wrote:The other message is an error. I'll need to check it. It may be the cause of the problem with -o you got.

But is the parameter after "-o" meant as absolute path or as relative path to the main-script? (I insist ;) )
aklanda
Hobgoblin

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Could be either. I generally use it as relative, but absolute should work as well.
G
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:04 pm

"startwith" should have been "startswith". That's why it still doesn't recognize Windows... I'll upload the fix with the next release.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Windows bug fixed -- let me know if it works now.

Also, I've added Hule.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Updated todo list:

Well, actually at this point almost all of this stuff is done. Remaining open issues:
  • Regions to add: Alfheim, Shadow Elf Territories, possibly Sind, Minrothad and Ierendi.
  • Name generators: Robrenn (currently using the Dunael one, but Robrenn names are out of Asterix's Gaul, not Scotland), Cimarron, Simbasta, Ierendi, Minrothad, Glantrian Ethengarians, Sindhi.
  • Weapons from the Mystaran Armory
  • Races to add: Gnome, Aranea, possibly others (from PC or Savage Coast)
  • Classes to add: Atruaghin Shamani, Norse Wise Woman, Elf Druid, Elf Cleric, Shadow Elf Shaman, Elf Treekeeper, Elf Wizard
  • Special or additional classes to add: Secret Crafts, Elf Paladins/Druidic Knights, Darokin Merchant, Minrothad Sea Prince

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby agathokles » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:45 am

Added Alfheim as a region! Ierendi might be coming next.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Korro Zal » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 am

Would love to see Minrothad as a region with Merchant Princes. Since their mages are supposed to focus on air and water magic, perhaps the Marine magic tradition from Tome of the Magic of Mystara (Volume 1, page 21) would be appropriate?
Korro Zal
Orc

Postby agathokles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 am

Korro Zal wrote:Would love to see Minrothad as a region with Merchant Princes. Since their mages are supposed to focus on air and water magic, perhaps the Marine magic tradition from Tome of the Magic of Mystara (Volume 1, page 21) would be appropriate?

Indeed. The option to add the traditions from Tome of the Magic of Mystara is in place. However, transcribing them is a lot of work :shock:

Regarding the Merchant Princes, I need to check the rules. Implementing new classes is not terribly difficult, but there is currently no support for multi-classes, so that needs to be added.

For now, I'm working on Ierendi (much easier), while I think on how to implement multi-classes -- I need a solution that, in time, will be used for Secret Crafts, Witch Doctors and Shamans as well.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby agathokles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Ierendi is up on the online generator (however, it does not generate Makai NPCs, only immigrants).

agathokles wrote:Updated todo list:

Well, actually at this point almost all of this stuff is done. Remaining open issues:
  • Regions to add: Alfheim, Shadow Elf Territories, possibly Sind, Minrothad and Ierendi.
  • Name generators: Robrenn (currently using the Dunael one, but Robrenn names are out of Asterix's Gaul, not Scotland), Cimarron, Simbasta, Ierendi, Minrothad, Glantrian Ethengarians, Sindhi.
  • Classes to add: Atruaghin Shamani, Norse Wise Woman, Elf Druid, Elf Cleric, Shadow Elf Shaman, Elf Treekeeper, Elf Wizard
  • Special or additional classes to add: Secret Crafts, Elf Paladins/Druidic Knights, Darokin Merchant, Minrothad Sea Prince

GP

P.S.: The Makai name generator has been added, Ierendi is mostly complete, though some fine tuning may be needed.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Very cool!

I got a couple of odd names:

r Adam McIntyre
m Neutral Klantyrian Fighter 35 , follower of Philosophy of Neutrality

S Publiela Livia
f Lawful Mongrel Lupin Fighter 10 , follower of Philosophy of Law

Are these single letters before the name a glitch or a title or name convention I have missed?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 pm

It's a glitch, only in the HTML version AFAIK. I haven't found the reason yet (not that I've investigated that deeply...).

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:51 pm

agathokles wrote:It's a glitch, only in the HTML version AFAIK. I haven't found the reason yet (not that I've investigated that deeply...).

Ah okay. It is easy enough to ignore. Just making sure this wasn't some intentional thing that I didn't get :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:45 pm

New release: Atruaghin is now fully covered as a new region, with the Atruaghin Shamani class and the appropriate name generator.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby agathokles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Updated todo list:
  • Regions to add: Shadow Elf Territories, possibly Sind, Minrothad.
  • Name generators: Robrenn, Cimarron, Simbasta, Ierendi, Minrothad, Glantrian Ethengarians, Sindhi.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Thanks to aklanda I was able to get everything to run properly last night. I was doing something that I thought was smart (but was actually stupid) - I had a bat file set up to run the app, but it was running from outside of the becmi_gen directory... and the MikTek version of Laytex had to download some additional plugins, but because of they way I set it up, it wasn't doing that. Anyway long story short, once MikTek updated everything worked fine.

@Agathokles
I've got a question relating to dwarves (but it could be relevant to Ethengarians, Atraughins, and others). Have you thought about how to implement Clan affiliation? I've seen some "of Clan X" on some NPCs (Ethengarians I think), but that seems to be part of their name rather than an attribute. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to include the clan choices as part of the name generator, but was just wondering if you had other plans for that.

I'm going to attempt to get some BC2300 dwarves generated tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby agathokles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:43 am

Excellent! BTW, does the Gooey GUI work in Windows?

Regarding dwarven clans, there are two possible approaches:
- Adding clan names to the name generator (very easy but only adds random clan names; this is the approach used for Rakasta and Ethengarians)
- Creating different "origins" for each clan (allows to customise more, as "origin" is then used to drive the selection of many aspects of the NPC; however, at the moment it is not used for skill selection -- at some point I'll need to rework the skill selector to take into account origins...)

For BC2300, I suggest creating a new region ("Shimmering Lands") and new origins as needed (a minimum of one is certainly necessary).
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Previous

Return to Mystara