[Earth] [HRef] Red Sails Campaign

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Earth] [HRef] Red Sails Campaign

Post by Havard »

This campaign setting, created by Paul Leach, centered around the Slavic world in the Dark Ages. It was detailed in several articles in Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine.

The articles I have found related to this campaign are the following:
  • Red Sails: Tempest on the Steppes (Dragon #290)
  • Red Sails: Sun and Earth (Dragon #290)
  • Red Sails: Fell and Forelorn (Dragon #290)
  • Rivers of Blood (Dungeon #89)
I originally believed that these were supposed to be tied to the Vikings and Charlemagne's Paladins Sourcebooks from the AD&D HR series. However, I am not sure if there was ever a specific connection between the articles and the books?

Has anyone used this campaign? Do you know if there was ever published more material for the Red Sails Campaign?

What about other articles that could connect to the HR series?

Paul Leach also wrote two articles in Dragon after the release of Red Sails. One called the Thane (#323) and one called Viking Raider (Dragon #337). Does anyone know if these were connected to Red Sails at all?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NiTessine
Goblin

Re: [Earth] [HRef] Red Sails Campaign

Post by NiTessine »

I never used the campaign setting, but I did adapt "Rivers of Blood" as the first adventure of a D&D 3.0 campaign set in the Warhammer world back in... 2002, it seems.

I don't remember much about what I did with it, but I did write about the campaign on EN World's Story Hour forum. The thread's at http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... arch-17th)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Havard wrote:
  • Red Sails: Tempest on the Steppes (Dragon #290)
  • Red Sails: Sun and Earth (Dragon #290)
  • Red Sails: Fell and Forelorn (Dragon #290)
  • Rivers of Blood (Dungeon #89)
Dragon #290 also had an article on the city of Novgorod on page 76. It wasn't labeled "Red Sails" but it was a useful addition to the setting.
I originally believed that these were supposed to be tied to the Vikings and Charlemagne's Paladins Sourcebooks from the AD&D HR series. However, I am not sure if there was ever a specific connection between the articles and the books?
Red Sails was 3rd edition and the two books you mention were 2nd edition, so the only connection is that they both depict roughly the same time period and the same planet.
What about other articles that could connect to the HR series?
Dragon #257 included an article called "Dark Ages" by Ian Malcomson, a very well-done campaign setting detailing Saxon Britain from the time of the Saxon conquest to the time of the Norman conquest. It tied very closely to the Vikings Campaign Sourcebook.

There was a follow-up article by the same author in Dragon #263 called "Hearth & Sword," detailing the Saxon gods (which aren't exactly the same as the Norse gods).

Ian Malcomson also wrote an article called "Steal from the Rich" in Dragon #274, detailing a 3rd edition campaign setting based on Robin Hood. You might tie that into HR7 The Crusades.

For more Russian fantasy, I suppose you might also look at "The Dancing Hut," an adventure by Roger E. Moore that was published in Dragon #83 (March 1984), and the "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Kostchtchie" article in Dragon #345 (July 2006). The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga was also a 2e adventure.
Paul Leach also wrote two articles in Dragon after the release of Red Sails. One called the Thane (#323) and one called Viking Raider (Dragon #337). Does anyone know if these were connected to Red Sails at all?
The thane is a variant fighter class, "professional fighters sworn to protect a clan or tribal chieftain." It would work well enough in a Red Sails campaign, but there's no explicit connection.

The viking raider article gives a little historical background on historical vikings and provides a new feat, Seafarer. You could use it in a Red Sails campaign, but again there's no explicit connection. The article suggests you could use it in a historical campaign or to represent Greyhawk's Frost Barbarians or viking types from the Forgotten Realms' Sword Coast.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

I got to talk to the author, Paul Leach yesterday. A very nice guy. He pointed me to his blog where he wrote about the Red Sails articles and how they came to be.

From the article, it looks like Chris Perkins was instrumental in encouraging the author and also made his own suggestions. Paul Leach told me that he was indeed thinking in terms of the AD&D 2nd Ed HRef Books when writing the articles and that they were originally written for 2nd Ed, but that he changed the rules to 3E for publication.

He also did several other articles in Dragon based on historical earth type settings well worth looking into.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Other Worlds”