Returned Maztica

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.

Re: Returned Maztica

Postby Sturm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks for your answers, useful insight!
It's interesting that Maztica did not have common humanoids as Faerun, but some monsters appear in the Campaign set, particularly chac, jagre, aarakocra, beholders, dopplegangers, fire and hill giants, harpies, jackalweres (as coyotes), werejaguars, kelpies, mermen, mudmen, nixie, sahuagins, selkies, treants, tritons and yeti, just to name only the intelligent ones listed on page 63.
Even if these creatures are supposed to be relatively rare, the people should have legends about them and some interaction with them, at least occasionally, or places could exist where they are common.
Also the halfling and dwarves of Maztica should have their unique culture which has not been explored much.
And I think there are nomadic elves too in the northern continent..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Jürgen Hubert » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 pm

The nomadic elves in the north are under pressure from the Kultakan Empire, who have enslaved a fair number of them and sometimes sold them elsewhere (which allows you to justify the presence of an elven character elsewhere in Maztica - half-elves too, for that matter).

The dwarves are descendants of dwarves from Faerun (and some were even born there), and thus they aren't all that alien. Many of those who have left the desert have settled in Tukan.

Halflings mainly lived in Far Payit, where the Queen of Fang and Poison has turned them into their pet slave hunters. Since they were already horrible misogynist little bastards before that, this has done little to improve their disposition. Those who have left for other regions tend to drift into organized crime, which is organized in "villages".
Jürgen Hubert
Orc

Postby Sturm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm

I think you mean Maztican halflings are misanthropic, i.e. against humans, and not misogynist, i.e. against women. :)
The elves anyway should have a culture greatly different from the one of Faerunian and even Evermeet elves.. probably something vaguely similar to Native North Americans, which would fit well with elves.. I'm thinking shamanistic-animistic elves with a lot of druids and rangers.
Dwarves still lived in the desert for three centuries. It is mentioned they used stone tools and weapons, probably because they could not find much metal, so at least the younger generations would have skills as ceramist, stone carvers and woodcutters, but not as metal workers. That is something to make them quite different from Faerunian dwarves. Probably, even if they are re-adopting metals, they still heavily favor wood, leather, stone and ceramic. They could also have developed the habit of war paints and feather decorations, copying them from natives.
BTW dwarves were in the northern desert or to the south of Nexal?
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Jürgen Hubert » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Sturm wrote:I think you mean Maztican halflings are misanthropic, i.e. against humans, and not misogynist, i.e. against women. :)

Nope, they are both. Contemplate the following tidbit from the Boxed Set:

"Males are free to take as many wives as they can comfortably support. Occasionally a challenger will approach a male halfling and demand one of his wives; the two fight a duel with knives to determine who claims the female."

And now they have spread from their home villages. Imagine every ugly stereotype about the "machismo" culture of immigrant groups - for the halflings of Maztica, this is actually pretty accurate!

The first combat encounter in my previous "Returned Maztica" campaign involved a bunch of halfling thugs trying to rob the player characters, and I think I will do the same for the next one.

The elves anyway should have a culture greatly different from the one of Faerunian and even Evermeet elves.. probably something vaguely similar to Native North Americans, which would fit well with elves.. I'm thinking shamanistic-animistic elves with a lot of druids and rangers.

I'd want to avoid basing them too closely on specific Native American cultures, though. About those on the northeastern coasts we know that they refused all contact with outsiders but that (as of 1366 DR) elves of Faerun have arrived who attempted to communicate with them. Perhaps they succeeded before the Spellplague hit and they were forced to "go native".

"City of Gold" also mentions of elven tribes in the Northeast:

"Poscadar Elves

The plateau north of the Pasocada River and Long Canyon is home to the Poscadar Elves—a tall, bronze skinned tribe of demi-humans who lead a nomadic existence hunting bison and other great game across the grassy plains. Poscadar lore says the elves came from the north, generations ago, where they were first created by the gods in a land of perpetual ice and snow. A wise shaman led them south, where the sun shone warm in the summer, and the great wild herds assured health and plenty year round. Here they met humans—ancestors of the Azuposi—who befriended them and traded grains for hides and meat from the elves. For all remembered generations, even to the present day, the Poscadari and the Azuposi have been at peace."

Dwarves still lived in the desert for three centuries. It is mentioned they used stone tools and weapons, probably because they could not find much metal, so at least the younger generations would have skills as ceramist, stone carvers and woodcutters, but not as metal workers. That is something to make them quite different from Faerunian dwarves. Probably, even if they are re-adopting metals, they still heavily favor wood, leather, stone and ceramic. They could also have developed the habit of war paints and feather decorations, copying them from natives.
BTW dwarves were in the northern desert or to the south of Nexal?

To the south - near to the new, "cosmopolitan" city of Tukan. At least for a few decade they could have reestablished contact with their kin in Faerun, and even after that falls through new trade routes will have developed which bring metal ores to the city.

As for the other races you mentioned:

I think I will use doppelgangers as one of the descendants the "clay people", the gods' first attempt at creating humans. Eventually, they were able to assume a proper form (unlike the mudmen, who failed at this task), but thanks to their origin their appearance remains fluid in nature.

I haven't done anything with hill or fire giants yet, but I am using jungle giants in my version of Lopango (for the proper "Attack on Titan" flavor).

I will have to think about the other races later on.
Jürgen Hubert
Orc

Postby Zeromaru X » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Stoopid question. What you have posted here, is the same that you have posted in RPG forums?
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Jürgen Hubert » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Stoopid question. What you have posted here, is the same that you have posted in RPG forums?

The same idea, although the texts are different - I plan to publish my more "polished" texts here, while I will use the RPGNet forum as a general brainstorming thread.
Jürgen Hubert
Orc

Previous

Return to Maztica