Xanathar's Guide to Everything

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Re: Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Postby zontoxira » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:56 pm

finarvyn wrote:I'm wondering if there is a Master Plan(TM) here of providing options such that certain campaigns might allow only certain options. For example, there seems to be a cleric-style option for Barbarian so an all-Barbarian campaign might be set up with several class options. Or a Lankhmar-style game could be rogue based with multiple options. Or a Poul Anderson-like Fey versus Trolls campaign might allow several classes to have Fey contacts. All of this may be with the notion of minimal multi-classed characters, since there would be options that blur the classes already. Just a theory. I have no evidence to support this, but it seems logical to this guy. :D

It could be that way, or it could be the next big thing. 2e had kits, 3e had prestige classes, 4e had paragon/epic paths, 5e has subclasses. Either way, I'm glad there are class options to fill in some roles, instead of relying on multiclassing, a trait I don't particularly fancy.
Now, for the DM's tools, you can find plenty of neat stuff in there. Sure, some of it had already been in UA (like traps and downtime activities), so no big surprise here. But you also get details about tool proficiencies, encounter building (alternative way of tossing monsters to your PCs), and random encounter tables.
Overall, I find it a superb addition to my D&D library.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Hobgoblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Found an image of the ToC online, thought I'd share it here. Click on the image to see it more clearly.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Seeing what is in it based on the Table of Contents has me super stoked to get my hands on it...just need to wait nine more days. :shock: :o
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Seeing what is in it based on the Table of Contents has me super stoked to get my hands on it...just need to wait nine more days. :shock: :o

I am reading it fairly closely and slowly. I am up to page 23 (out of 192) now. By the time you get it and read it, you will have read it all before I will! :lol:

(But I am really liking what I'm reading so far - up to Druid Subclasses now!) :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Hugin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:14 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Found an image of the ToC online, thought I'd share it here. Click on the image to see it more clearly.

Really, Angel?! I had myself convinced that I didn't want/need The Guide. Now that I've seen the contents in more detail, I DO want The Guide! :mrgreen:
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:20 am

Hugin wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:Found an image of the ToC online, thought I'd share it here. Click on the image to see it more clearly.

Really, Angel?! I had myself convinced that I didn't want/need The Guide. Now that I've seen the contents in more detail, I DO want The Guide! :mrgreen:
Funny how that works, eh? :lol:
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 am

I just thumbed through the rest of it for the first time a little over an hour ago - while I was telling another player at the FLGS all what is in it. :shock:

There are many things that I liked and wanted to see in XGtE but didn't make the cut for one reason or another, and there are some tables that I don't have much use for, but - these things happen, and I still love this book. (Unlike one guy on FB 5e group who ranted about "...if I'd known my favorite thing didn't make it into the book, I wouldn't have bought it!" :oops:

"This is Your Life" section has birth tables, which are very similar to AD&D's Unearthed Arcana & Oriental Adventures' Birth tables, so, I like these.

The Background/Class "Personal Decisions" tables, "I became a _________ because...." are one-shot background fluffers, but tables like these are always inspirational, and can lead experienced players down paths never thought of, if tweaked just right.

The same with the "Life Events" tables that break down into expanded tables, like "Boons", "Crime", "Punishment", "Supernatural Events", "Tragedies", "War", etc... these tables are full of ideas, and waiting to be tweaked!

"Racial Feats" made it into the book, but "Skill Feats" didn't, but we all know that feats come 'round fewer and far(er) between than certain other editions that had feats - so there are still PLENTY of new feats to choose from. And IMO, it just makes deciding which ones to take every 4 levels (or so, depending on actual class taken) even harder.

"Dungeon Master's Tools" covers a lot of material that has been handled in previous editions, but, reiterated here makes these common sense rulings based on previous rules into common "RULES" for 5e.

Tool Proficiencies and tool kits covers ground that I didn't really have the background from other specific editions to cover without much hand-waving "make it so" rulings, so these are nice to see. I like that each tool set or kit has applications to skills. Or, should I say that skills have applications to each set of kits and tool sets?

Encounter Building is another sore subject for me in 5e, specifically assigning CRs to newly minted monsters. I don't know if this section delves that much into assigning CR's accurately without much guessing and blind dart-board choosing that the DMG excelled at.

Monster Personalities and Relationships Tables are going to be the closest thing to "Monster Morale" tables that I will probably ever see for 5e. :lol: I like these. I can use & tweak these to fit.

"RANDOM ENCOUNTERS" tables arranged by terrain & levels 1-4, 5-10, 11-16, 17-20! Yippee! (Or... Breeyark!

"Traps Revisited" is good, but I wish they'd also included "20 New Traps" by James Introcaso (I downloaded this from DM's Guild), and it has some dandy new traps in it! I can't tell without reading it thoroughly, but it looks like XGtE has expanded the UA version of "Traps Revisited".

"Downtime Revisited" looks much like the UA article of the same name, so I expect only a few cosmetic changes here.

Downtime, btw, is one of the things I was grateful to see in UA format, as it really helped to fill out the campaign play while my party spent months in a port city. Without having a concrete path to follow, or any 'random' strings of encounters, having the Downtime rules expanded on helped us all achieve many things in R&R, without fumbling through half-hearted roleplay events or (even worse) half-assed encounters/scenarios ad-libbed by yours truly!

"Awarding Magic Items" is something I did not see in UA, (could mean I simply missed those articles...) but looks like a doable alternative to the DMG treasure/magic tables, which I hate. I created a set of AD&D1e treasure & magic tables, modelled after those very tables from the 1e DMG to replace the 5e DMG tables.

"Common Magic Items" list of common magic items not appearing in the DMG! Treat! :mrgreen:

"Magic Item Tables" are not random generation tables, but charts that show items by minor/major, rarity, type, and if they require attunement! USEFUL as all get-out!

New Spells. 'nuff said. ;)

Appendix A: Shared Campaigns. I don't have an opinion on this yet, will have to do a closer read, and also for Appendix B: Character Names.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Previous

Return to D&D 5th Edition