Revenge of the Kobolds for 4e

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Revenge of the Kobolds for 4e

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:47 am

I came across Revenge of the Kobolds, a new 4e adventure on DriveThruRPG, today. It's pay-what-you-want, so you can check it out for free. I didn't realize anyone was still producing 4e materials (or that the license still permitted it).

Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Revenge of the Kobolds for 4e

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:58 pm

The license is still valid, but, yeah its rare to see people still making stuff for 4e. That guy must really love 4e. A must get in my list.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:33 am

I got his email about it. It's a re-release. He got the rights back so he figured he would make it available again. He is interested in hearing if people want the adventure converted to 5e so I don't think he is planning more 4e material.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:The license is still valid, but, yeah its rare to see people still making stuff for 4e. That guy must really love 4e. A must get in my list.
There is a company out there that decided to publish 4e content, without using the GSL, so it would be possibler to publish for 4e, even if the GSL had been revoked. However, the SRDs (3.0, 3.5, 4e and 5e) are there to make things a lot easier.

I think that the main problem with 4e is that it uses the GSL, as opposed to 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder RPG and 5e, which all use the OGL (and the exact same OGL). It's a lot "safer" to port content from one OGL system to another one, because if you drag and drop stuff that is outside of the SRD you don't end up accidentally committing copyright theft. (I was kind of hoping that WotC were going to rerelease 4e under the OGL...or create an updated versiom of the GSL that allows people to port GSL licenced content to the OGL.)
dulsi wrote:I got his email about it. It's a re-release. He got the rights back so he figured he would make it available again. He is interested in hearing if people want the adventure converted to 5e so I don't think he is planning more 4e material.
I looked around and saw something suggesting that Darklight Interactive are smack in the middle of delivering on a Kickstarter (for a different product line) and that they managed to slot this product into a gap in their release schedule, so that people could get it.

Making it Pay What You Want, is an interesting way to go if they are considering moving this to 5th Edition rules. Pay What You Want can also be used as a "try before you buy" thing, where you buy stuff for $0.00 and then come back and buy it again later. So if they are considering doing a 5e Revenge of the Kobolds Kickstarter, everyone could grab a free copy and decide if they would want to sign up to buy this as a 5e reboot (and on the side it helps grognards who are sticking with 4e). That's a clever move there. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”