Assigning rogue classes to Al-Qadim kits.

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.
thorr-kan
Ogre

Assigning rogue classes to Al-Qadim kits.

Post by thorr-kan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 pm

So, over the last few years, I've been gathering a list of rogue subclasses. They're tallied up and discussed here; I'll summarize at the bottom of the post:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11405

The goal is an Al-Qadim rogues campaign set in Mahabba against the backdrop of the League's occupation of the city and the suppression of the native cult of Bala. The Hollywood pitch is "Northern Ireland occupied by the Mafia." Since every AQ character requires a class and a kit, now I get to determine which classes map to which kits.

I'm looking for opinions/discussion/suggestions. With the cosmopolitan nature of Zakhara, I am including culture-specific classes. I tried to match them thematically and give each rogue at least two kits that could be used. The Dark Sun bard has been renamed courtier to avoid confusion with the PH bard.

Here's the original list from Arabian Adventures:
Kit|Eligible Classes|Requirements|Benefits|Hindrances|Source Sa'luk|All rogues|None|None|None|AA Barber|All rogues|None|Identification|Reduced thief abilities|AA Beggar-thief|Thieves|None|Crowds |Social|AA Holy slayer|Thieves|Must be LN or LE|One-handed weapons, can specialize|Chain of command|AA Matrud|Thieves|None|None|Social|AA Merchant-rogue|Thieves|None|Buy in bulk, business|None|AA Rawun|Bards|None|Evil eye|All elemental provinces prohibited|AA Tomb robber|Thieves|Str 10, Dex 13|None|None|Dr198/CompThief

Here's my table, with the classes from the above link:
Updated AQ Kit|Eligible Classes|Requirements|Benefits|Hindrances|Source Sa'luk|All rogues|None|None|None|AA Barber|All rogues|None|Identification|Reduced thief abilities|AA Beggar-thief|Con artists/prestidigitators, gypsies, handlers, thieves|None|Crowds|Social|AA Holy slayer|Assassins, hishnashapers, ninjas, taltos, thieves|Must be LN or LE|One-handed weapons, can specialize|Chain of command|AA Matrud|Con artists/prestidigitators, hishnashapers, gypsies, plumaweavers, thieves, tradesmen|None|None|Social|AA Merchant-rogue|Gypsies, guilders, thieves, tradesmen, traders|None|Buy in bulk, business|None|AA Rawun|Bards, courtier, gypsies, plumaweavers, shadow walkers, taltos|None|Evil eye|All elemental provinces prohibited|AA Tomb robber|Con artists/prestidigitators, guilders, thieves, tradesmen, traders|Str 10, Dex 13|None|None|Dr198/CompThief

Rogue SubclassesSource|Subclass|Subclass Player's Handbook|Thief|Bard Domains of Dread|Gypsy Wizards & Rogues of the Realms|Shadow Walker Scarlet Brotherhood|Assassin Complete Book of Ninja|Ninja Dark Sun Campaign Setting, Revised|Courtier (bard; I renamed it, since we already have a bard from the PH)|Trader Dragon #247|Taltos Haven's of the Great Bay|Guilder Tales of the Lance|Con artists/Prestidigitators|Handler Masque of the Red Death|Tradesman Maztica |Hishnashapers|Plumaweaver

ETA: Cleaned up first paragraph, added table of rogue subclasses.
Last edited by thorr-kan on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Assigning rogue classes to Al-Qadim kits.

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 am

Cool idea for a campaign. I don't know enough about the various rogue classes to be able to toss in my ideas (we played 2e with the core book + campaign books, and few to no additional sourcebooks), but would love to follow this thread and see other folks' feedback.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Anybody? Feedback?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Unfortunately, it takes a good knowledge of both 2e and 3e to comment (I lack the latter, e.g.), and the current difficulties with table formatting don't help :-(
GP

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Wed May 02, 2018 6:46 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:30 pm
Unfortunately, it takes a good knowledge of both 2e and 3e to comment (I lack the latter, e.g.), and the current difficulties with table formatting don't help :-(
GP
Shouldn't take any 3ED knowledge; everything here's 2ED. Though you're right, it is *everything* 2ED. I'm going for breadth of source material here.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Oh, it wasn't clear to me... IMO the provided kits are sufficient to run a campaign in Al Qadim. Besides, I wouldn't mix Dark Sun classes with others (they are designed for use with a different setting, where all the classes have been modified in some way).

Still, you could maybe use the Guilder from Birthright as a variant of the Merchant-Thief (possibly applying it, but not necessarily).
Hishnashapers and Plumaweavers from Maztica should use the generic kit, since they are already more specific than any of the native kits.
Taltos and Ninjas are IMO out of scope, and there are already the Holy Slayer duplicating the role and part of the abilities of the latter.
Handlers also don't make much sense in the context of Al Qadim... what's the point of having them, considering there's no kender in Al Qadim?

GP

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Wed May 02, 2018 11:17 pm

agathokles wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 pm
Oh, it wasn't clear to me... IMO the provided kits are sufficient to run a campaign in Al Qadim. Besides, I wouldn't mix Dark Sun classes with others (they are designed for use with a different setting, where all the classes have been modified in some way).
Yes. Bard has been significantly changed, enough that it is no longer a bard. Hence courtier.
agathokles wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 pm
Still, you could maybe use the Guilder from Birthright as a variant of the Merchant-Thief (possibly applying it, but not necessarily).
Hishnashapers and Plumaweavers from Maztica should use the generic kit, since they are already more specific than any of the native kits.
Taltos and Ninjas are IMO out of scope, and there are already the Holy Slayer duplicating the role and part of the abilities of the latter.
Handlers also don't make much sense in the context of Al Qadim... what's the point of having them, considering there's no kender in Al Qadim?
Hakim Star'trekker would beg to differ. (Kender sha'ir I ran in college.)

Joking aside, the idea is to take all rogue subclasses and assign them to AQ kits.

Return to “Al-Qadim”