[MtG][Dominaria] Return to Dominaria

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[MtG][Dominaria] Return to Dominaria

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 am

Wizards of the Coast, are putting up a series of Return to Dominara articles on their Magic Story page. There are two up so far, but it looks like they have reserved space for a total of 12 articles. (The articles all seem to be written by Martha Wells.)

RETURN TO DOMINARIA:
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 1 - In the wake of the disaster on Amonkhet, Liliana and Gideon strugle to move forward against Nicol Bolas on a plane with it's own storied past.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 2 - Discovering her lost brother commands the Cabal in Aerona, Liliana enlists Gideon's aid in laying him to rest before striking at Belzenlok.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 3 - With the Weatherlight raised and under reconstruction, Jhoria scours Dominaria for a new crew...with ancient pedigrees.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 4 - As the Weatherlight comes under attack, its newest crew members bond over their unique, yet not dissimilar, origins.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 5 - Gideon, Lillana, and Jhoria muster their foerces for the showdown with Belzenlok...but first must solve a mystery at Tolaria West.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 6 - Jhoira takes Lillana and Gideon for a timely reconnection with a very old - and very powerful - friend.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 7 - A glimps into the lost days of Teferi's life...and how he regained his purpose.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 8 - The mystery of Chandra's disappearance is answered and she finds herself caught up in the legacy of Dominaria's darkest past.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 9 - Chandra, Jaya and Karn's situation becomes critical as Chandra presses Jaya for the guidance she now knows she always needed.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 10 - As companions old and new prepare for the final showdown with Belzenlok and the Cabal, a stowaway is discovered on the Weatherlight.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 11 - The plan for overcoming Belzenlok is put into motion...but not without potentially deadly complications.
  • Return to Dominaria: Episode 12 - The epic conclusion of the fight against Belzenlok proves to have unforeseen consequences - not all of them good.
There are also some other articles linked to from these ones.

FURTHER READING: It looks like this is leading up to a relaunch of Dominaria, with a new box of magic cards due out.

I wonder if the art created for this relaunch will mean that James Wyatt will consider making a Planeshift PDF for Dominaria. (He seems to have said that Planeshift articles will not get done unless the art is done first.)

LAST EDIT (by Big Mac 27 Apr 2018): Return to Dominaria: Episode 5, Return to Dominaria: Episode 6 and Return to Dominaria: Episode 7 added.
Last edited by Big Mac on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

AxesnOrcs
Gnoll

Re: [MtG][Dominaria] Return to Dominaria

Post by AxesnOrcs » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Art always get's done first. Cards are printed way in advance of the announcement, and art is purchased way in advance of that. Also, preview season of Dominaria has already started in part, technically pre-preview season I think atm.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.
https://axesorcs.itch.io/ Where I sell my games in non-physical formats

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Sounds like they're cocking it up good and proper. Color me unsurprised.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:28 pm

AxesnOrcs wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm
Art always get's done first. Cards are printed way in advance of the announcement, and art is purchased way in advance of that. Also, preview season of Dominaria has already started in part, technically pre-preview season I think atm.
Oh sure. I only mentioned it, because James Wyatt was asked about doing more Planeshift PDFs and said that it was something he did in his personal time, and that he only did the Planeshift PDFs after the art was done.

So this Return to Dominaria story could be helping to "unlock" the Planeshift PDF.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:37 am

Awesome fiction. Very cool!
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:13 pm

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Started skimming the first article, but lost patience quickly. They name-check a lot of the history, but I see little evidence that the people who are doing it now actually understand the material well enough to have earned their variations upon it. This is an admittedly hastily-formed impression, so I'm not passing judgment, but neither am I reserving it. Ultimately, I see nothing here to make me want to invest the time to look any deeper.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 pm

After reading through much of the Visual Spoiler of the card set, it took me until the fifth and last color's page before I found something that I was actually impressed with. In the novelization of the Invasion block, around the year 2000, there's an incident where a bunch of invading Phyrexians (loosely "magical zombie cyborgs") get transformed into wooden servants of the planetary consciousness. Nearly *two decades later*, they made a card out of these "elementals". It's not much, but it's the best thing I've seen so far in this thoroughly underwhelming revisitation of MTG's original setting. (The second best thing would be the Sagas, which are clearly the "banner" new gimmick designed to get people in the door, so it goes without saying that they'd be fairly cool...IMO they aren't nearly enough though.)

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue May 22, 2018 1:24 am

I will wait for the Dominaria PDF for 5e to come out... without holding any breaths. :cool:

They can cock up the story & MtG cards for this set all they want, but the advantage I have with a 5e setting created out of a MtG setting is that they only ever release just enough to get a DM started in his/her own campaign on said world; they never give you enough information to truly cock that up. :twisted:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 am

Am I the only one who prefers, even in a free to download PDF, getting actual ready to play stats that can be used at the table, rather than vague inspirations that would take hours of number crunching before they could see actual play?

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat May 26, 2018 2:08 am

willpell wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 am
Am I the only one who prefers, even in a free to download PDF, getting actual ready to play stats that can be used at the table, rather than vague inspirations that would take hours of number crunching before they could see actual play?
I like new monster stats, spells, magic items & stuff like that that require solid stats to run without guess-work sure, but as far as campaign information, I prefer the less-is-more trope. That gives me the freedom to model the campaign world that is something like what is briefly described, but allows me to move in directions that the players want.

I never follow a module word-for-word. Never. Well, actually the closest I ever came to running something as-is was B2, but I still added a lot of my own encounters and the "Draw Your Own Floorplans" sheet of graph paper in the back I used to make a basement plan of all the basements in the Keep, and how they all secretly connected via hidden passages & secret/concealed doors, and not to mention the secret tunnel leading to the Cave of the Unknown! ;)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm

I despise drawing floorplans. My ideal would be to just get a bunch of printed maps that I can put down as-is and move the minis around on.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:17 am

willpell wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm
I despise drawing floorplans. My ideal would be to just get a bunch of printed maps that I can put down as-is and move the minis around on.
My current campaign creation model for maps is to take existing maps from the web (I get a LOT of usefulness out of Dyson Logos' maps!) and copy (hand-drawn) them onto poster-boards. After sketching all of the pieces onto one poster-board, I ink them with a Sharpie, and the cut them into sections - tiles, if you will, then tape them together as the party explores. I've probably finished about 20 of them in the last year or so.

But, I do this as a hobby, not just as a D&D gamer; I'm also back into painting minis again (averaging about 1-2 figures a week - not many, but I usually get about one night a week to paint), and I've written the majority of my campaign material, piece-by-piece as the players explore.

I'd thought about selling some hand-drawn dungeon tiles (most of the kind I do for my game have to be cut out to use as tiles, but a poster-board could still be used as one whole map) but I'd have to come up with my own dungeon & castle designs. I couldn't legally do that by making copies (even if they are hand-drawn) of someone else's Creative Commons works.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 pm

It sounds like a lot of work, but it definitely seems like something you should monetize, if you're willing to go to that kind of effort just for fun.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”