what is the perfect intro to Gamma World?

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
kevperrine
Goblin

what is the perfect intro to Gamma World?

Post by kevperrine » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:40 pm

If you were DMing a short-shot game in the GAMMA WORLD setting - for D&D 5e.

What would be the "MUST HAVES" to incorporate/show?
Musts for: setting descriptions, for NPCs, for gear/weapons/tech-magic, etc..., for factions or villains?

What are perfect published adventures (Gamma World or not), or other one-shots (like one-page dungeons)?

Which previous Gamma World edition would be the best resource to look at for inspiration/ideas for rule-conversion aid and for most setting coolness?

How would you handle PC generation?

NOW.... Also consider - this needs to also be "expandable" if the players like it enough to drop some hints for longer term campaign play! What would be an excellent cameo or clue or hint to bigger things to come? Without leaving it unfinished?

shesheyan
Cloud Giant

Re: what is the perfect intro to Gamma World?

Post by shesheyan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Hello!

The best intro to Gamma World imho is to have the characters wake up in cry-pods, discover they are 100+ years in the future and the end of the world happened while they were asleep. At first due to freeze-amnesia they can't recall why they were put in cryo-pods. They discover things as they explore after leaving the underground compound.

You might want to look at Ultra-Modern 5e by Dias Ex Machina for character creation. I have it and it would be appropriate for Gamma World. More info in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18695
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon • D&D5E • Want to try : BlueHolmes

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:47 am

I love Gamma World but I don't have a lot of "MUST HAVES" for it. I'd probably want to have the badders. Yexils have also always stuck in my mind. I personally like the gallus gallus 5/13 but I don't consider them must haves. A pure human group trying to kill everything else is common along with crazies who worship radiation.

My preferred adventure for gamma world is generally just a simple ruin scavenge which leads to something bigger. For my first nano novel, the main characters are looking for a place to stay. In that location they discover a radio and hear about an attack on a town which is coming. To save the town they activate a mech. That activation leads some ancients recently unfrozen to destroy the town.

I don't know if any published adventures are to my liking. It's been a while since I've read them.

For inspiration on setting, I would look at GW 1e to 4e (and Metamorphosis Alpha). GW 6e isn't bad either (that's the d20 version by WW). GW 5e has a different feel to the setting. GW 7e (the D&D 4e version) cranked up the humor level which I didn't care for.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:53 pm

The one time I ran Gamma World I started it out as an apparent Dragonlance campaign, only to reveal that the goblins and kender were actually mutant humans and the Cataclysm buried the ruins of technological Earth.

I should note that this wasn't a surprise for the players, who created their characters with the Gamma World rules and knew what they were getting into.

Return to “Gamma World”