Aspects of Fairy Folks in Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

Sturm
Green Dragon

Aspects of Fairy Folks in Mystara

Post by Sturm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am

Hi all, according to PC1 Mystara has several races of fairy folks: some looks like vegetal beings (dryads, treants) others like animals but are also shapeshifters (pookas, drakes) or fully animals (hsiao, actaeons, unicorns) or human/animals (chevalls, centaurs, satyrs) or demihumans (sidhe, leprechauns, brownies, shargughs, redcaps, imps, pixies and sprites, plus faeries which were not in PC1 but should belong here).
Now we know they all come from Earth folklore traditions as personifications of the forces of nature and/or vaguely remembered minor or disappeared people and we also know the canon story in PC1: they were Immortals of Chaos which were supplanted by the current Immortals of Law (that mirrors a bit the Earth Irish story about fairies being the angels which did not side either with God or Satan).
Now however as I like to imagine Mystara more or less as ancient as any other planet (i.e. in the order of billions of years, see also my 99,9999985% Mystara history http://pandius.com/mysthist.html) I have to ask myself, Why fairies look as they look? I mean why sidhe look live elves, leprechauns somehow like gnomes and pooka a bit like lupins, and drakes have a draconic aspect?
Hypothesis one: Fairies always had this shape, the other races who looks like them actually evolved from them, i.e. elves are simply sidhe who lost at some point in history their immortality.
Hypothesis two: Fairies can change shape easily, if not all as easily as pookas, and had different shapes through the eons, mirroring the evolution of other beings. This means initially all fairies were vegetable beings, then some took the shape of animals and only since humans and demihumans exist some of them took humanoid shapes.
What hypothesis would you prefer? Note that even if you want Mystara as created by magic/the immortals only 7000 years ago or so, question still applies: faeries took the shape of other races to mingle with them or they were the actual original creators of some other races?

Robin
Cloud Giant

Re: Aspects of Fairy Folks in Mystara

Post by Robin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:24 am

Nice topic
I compiled a heck of a lot of info on Fairies and Weefolk together here.
http://pandius.com/Monster_Manual_6.pdf
Maybe that will be of help.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:15 am

Yes I knew it, great work, but if I read correctly I think you have left undetermined when and how fairies took the shapes they have now.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Not specifically their specific shapes they were in, but in the History(first section) but this section hits their essesential being, while the earlier text explained that creatures born and evolved on all the worlds.
The Energies of the Primal Essence of the Powers of Balance that had survived the explosion at the edge of Reality had, by this point, returned to the center of the Known Spheres, and once there, they dispersed throughout the Prime Plane. And thus did the final portion of the Primal Essence of the Powers of Balance, that portion which had experienced the Beginning and the End of the Multiverse and all Spheres in between, and was the richer for
it, come into correlation with that portion of the Primal Essence of the Powers of Balance that had formed the Life Force of the Prime Plane, and was of the Prime Plane, and it did also come into correlation with the evolving Life of the Prime Plane, and thus did Magic enter into the Prime Plane. For that portion of the Primal Essence of the Powers of Balance had come to know all that was of the Multiverse, from the Center out to the Edge of Reality.
And thus was all Possibility engendered within that force, and that which allows all Possibilities to come to pass is Magic. And from that force did rise the Spirits of Magic, that were made of the ghosts of the shells of the beings that were the Powers of Balance. And in Time, the Sentient Races that did evolve in the Prime Plane came to know these beings as Fairies, for they were not as Powers, nor Immortals, nor Elementals nor even as the Spirits of
the Outer Planes, they were of the Prime Plane and of all other Spheres, for they were of Magic, and Magic was of all things that were within the realm of Possibility. By their very natures, the Faerie Races were Eternal Beings, for were their physical form to be slain; their essence would return to the whole of the force that is Magic, and that force would return the Essence of that being into the Life Stream through reincarnation. Thus were the Faerie
Folk doomed to be born and reborn until the End of the Age of Creation.
This combined would mean that fairies would live/evolve according nature laws and take shapes befitting to that purpose on that world.
It is also that fairies, immortal as they are, reincarnate, but not always in the same shape...a pixy could become a nixy then an imp, etc each death/reincarnation.
And then there is the factor of adaptation to the environment...as can be seen by the multitude of different fairies, they may have a basic bipedal winged body, but variations are always as per medium they seem to live in....similar to most of the other sentient creatures
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:10 pm

Yes sure there is also the question on how fixed are their forms. I mean some are fully shapeshifters, but others are not. So they can change shape only when they die? I am not sure if PC1 explicitly explained that.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:22 pm

I think as their shapes are Chaotic each incarnation, they copy (more-or-less) the dominant sentient race of the region they incarnate within. This does suit their chaotic patterns, but also the variation of each Fairy, but the consistency of each different Fairy breed.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:46 am

I surmised at one point that the demihumans were actually "nativized" versions of the fairies after centuries (millenia?) of existence on Mystara. Kind of like how the Goblinoid races were "stabilized" ancestors of the Beastmen.

I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with that scenario any longer, or at least that I wouldn't revisit it and make some modifications, but there is definitely a strong suggestion that they are related somehow.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:40 am

Yes I'm not sure on what hypothesis I like more. I like the idea of fairies having a fluid form which changes over times, but also the idea that elves, dwarves and so on descend from them. This would make sense as elves are indeed fairies in the RW folklore.
Maybe the two could be combined somehow, with fairies having forms of stones and plants in ancient times, then taking humanoid forms when the brutemen began to spread, and creating the elves and other races from them...

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:31 pm

IMC fairies in their natural state are beings composed mainly of Energy and Thought. However, in order to enter the Prime Plane, they take physical forms that typically last untill they are killed and have to reincarnate.

As to demihumans, the name Demihuman does suggest that they are a combination of humans and something else. Could Demihumans be races that were created when fairies mated with humans, or humans who lived under Fairy influence for a long time? Obviously other spirits and elementals could have been involved as well.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:31 pm
As to demihumans, the name Demihuman does suggest that they are a combination of humans and something else. Could Demihumans be races that were created when fairies mated with humans, or humans who lived under Fairy influence for a long time? Obviously other spirits and elementals could have been involved as well.
That's a good point. If you were to venture down that route, I'd suggest that elves were essentially combination of humans (or proto-humans, possibly somewhat earlier in the ancestral chain than Neathar) and fairies; dwarves might be a combination of brute-men and fairies; and halflings... ? not sure.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 am

Yes indeed they all could be a combination of different fairies with brutemen or a combination of fairies and different breeds of brutemen. As we know in the RW ancient humans had many different shapes and different species of hominids existed, the same could be true in Mystara, brutemen being a generic term indicating different species.
I like the idea fairies should have a chaotic, non-fixed form in their natural state.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Sturm wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 am
Yes indeed they all could be a combination of different fairies with brutemen or a combination of fairies and different breeds of brutemen. As we know in the RW ancient humans had many different shapes and different species of hominids existed, the same could be true in Mystara, brutemen being a generic term indicating different species.
I like the idea fairies should have a chaotic, non-fixed form in their natural state.

In the case of Dwarves, it is possible that the Blackmoor (and Kogolor) Dwarves are closer to their Fairy origins than elves, hin and gnomes due to the tinkerings of Kagyar, assuming we accept this theory.

Another possibility is that demihuman simply means "human mixed with something", rather than necessarily fairies.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”