Is Teldon supposed to be Terari?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Is Teldon supposed to be Terari?

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Okay, so I'm going through all my references for all the various Karameikos NPCs that exist in published material, and I'm trying to figure out if Teldon (listed on p. 52 of GAZ1) is the same NPC as Terari (aka Tylion). Or is Terari supposed to be Teldon's successor? Did Teldon die or is the name in GAZ1 a misprint?

I'm thinking they are supposed to be the same NPC, but I want to be sure.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Re: Is Teldon supposed to be Terari?

Post by Robin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Knightfall wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 pm
Okay, so I'm going through all my references for all the various Karameikos NPCs that exist in published material, and I'm trying to figure out if Teldon (listed on p. 52 of GAZ1) is the same NPC as Terari (aka Tylion). Or is Terari supposed to be Teldon's successor? Did Teldon die or is the name in GAZ1 a misprint?

I'm thinking they are supposed to be the same NPC, but I want to be sure.
As far as I remember Teldon was the Master Mage of karameikos but perished (or dissapeared with the "thing") in a battle with a metallic beholder (Golem or undead or other construct??) which caused severe damage to the old quadrant of the city. This is subtly noted in canon , but I forgot which source,sorry :o :oops:
master terrari is alphatians royal mage and , assumed to be the father of the Empress Eriadna I belive...he uses this identity as a secret alias.
as the school of magecraft was destroyed in the 'beholder' disaster King Stephan did allow him to recreate something similar, but no longer within the perimeter of Karameikos.. but on the Ruins of Krakatos instead.

Jeff Grubb wrote an article Krakatos and the school of Magecraft in Dragon 207 page 40-44
where the affair is also noted as details of the new village of Krakatos
The Mage’s Statue: A contribution of Terari to the town, this statue was carved from a solid block of obsidian, and depicts Teldon battling the clockwork beholder. Plaques mounted on the base are dedicated to Teldon and other mages who have given their lives in service to the nation and the College.
hope this helps :geek:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Robin is correct. Teldon and Terari are two entirely different characters. Teldon is a Thyatian Mage, Terari is the former Alphatian Emperor Tylion IV.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Cool. Thanks. Part of me thought I'd read somewhere that Teldon was a different NPC. I'll have to check my Dragon Archive CDs for that issue. I'm assuming he died in AC 1010 since he's in the gazetteer and that Terari took over in that same year.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Gravesguardian
Bugbear
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm

With Wizards, never assume anything. After all, w/ all the PC's gunning for Bargle he's still very much alive and more powerful than ever. Nothings to say he's not still alive somewhere and trapped...or just enjoying a well deserved vacation.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Knightfall wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 pm
Cool. Thanks. Part of me thought I'd read somewhere that Teldon was a different NPC. I'll have to check my Dragon Archive CDs for that issue. I'm assuming he died in AC 1010 since he's in the gazetteer and that Terari took over in that same year.
The Gazetteer is set in AC 1000. Teldon was alive at least until Stefan became king in AC 1006, and quite likely until after the end of the WotI war (1009).

GP

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:16 pm

agathokles wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:06 pm
Knightfall wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 pm
The Gazetteer is set in AC 1000. Teldon was alive at least until Stefan became king in AC 1006, and quite likely until after the end of the WotI war (1009).

GP
Ah, I see. I thought it was set in 1010. I should have realized. So, all the GAZs are set in AC 1000, right?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 pm

I'm assuming there's a 'product line' timeline somewhere on the Vaults. Going to go look for it now...
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 pm

The Gazetteers were indeed set in 1000AC
but the AD&D2 Glantri Kingdom of Magic and Karameikos Kingdom of Adventure were set in 1010AC
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Robin wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 pm
The Gazetteers were indeed set in 1000AC
but the AD&D2 Glantri Kingdom of Magic and Karameikos Kingdom of Adventure were set in 1010AC
Actually, I have the Karameikos boxed set in front of me and it says the current year is AC 1012 (Explorer's Guide, p. 59 [sidebar]).
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:56 am

i stand corrected...thanx

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 am

Dragon Magazine #207 describes what happened to Teldon. Jeff Grubb, author of the Karameikos box set, doesn't say outright that Teldon is dead. Only that Teldon and the clockwork beholder powered by an Immortal artifact both "disappeared" in a pure white ball of fire. No body.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 pm

NPCDave wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 am
Dragon Magazine #207 describes what happened to Teldon. Jeff Grubb, author of the Karameikos box set, doesn't say outright that Teldon is dead. Only that Teldon and the clockwork beholder powered by an Immortal artifact both "disappeared" in a pure white ball of fire. No body.
No body= He is alive in my opinion ;)

The whole clockwork beholder powered by Immortal artifact is really interesting though.

What artifact and what Immortal are we talking about?

One possibility is that the artifact is the Nucleus of the Spheres (The Radience). That could suggest the beholder construct is simply a Blackmoor era artifact?

However, it is curious how specific Jeff Grubb are about the details of Teldon's disappearance. Is he simply trying to create a mystery here, or is there a backstory to all of this?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 am

No details on the artifact, but it wouldn't be hard to build an artifact using WotI rules that duplicates all the eye powers of a beholder, perhaps with a couple of powers swapped out for something new.

I would assume Grubb was clearing out setting space for Terari to be the ultimate magus of Karameikos running the new magic school, since Teldon and Terari basically compete for that space and the box set only has so much room for PCs. I also assume Grubb left that detail about no body for DMs who may have made Teldon an important character in their own campaigns so they have something to work with.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 am

NPCDave wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 am
No details on the artifact, but it wouldn't be hard to build an artifact using WotI rules that duplicates all the eye powers of a beholder, perhaps with a couple of powers swapped out for something new.
Well, instead of a clockwork beholder. Lets consider a more Mystaran clockwork-aberration. What would be the best choices?
NPCDave wrote:I would assume Grubb was clearing out setting space for Terari to be the ultimate magus of Karameikos running the new magic school, since Teldon and Terari basically compete for that space and the box set only has so much room for PCs. I also assume Grubb left that detail about no body for DMs who may have made Teldon an important character in their own campaigns so they have something to work with.
That seems logical.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 am

Well, beholders are prominent in some of the old BECMI modules because they were one of the monsters featured in the Companion rules, so they got some serious play in CM# adventures and cemented a place for themselves in Mystara lore.

But if you wanted to make another substitution, the first thing that comes to mind is a construct rather than an aberration, and that would be the drolem, a dragon golem. A drolem powered by an Immortal artifact would be a threat to a city.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 am

NPCDave wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 am
Well, beholders are prominent in some of the old BECMI modules because they were one of the monsters featured in the Companion rules, so they got some serious play in CM# adventures and cemented a place for themselves in Mystara lore.
Ahh, I didn't know that. EDIT: Or I'd forgotten.
NPCDave wrote:But if you wanted to make another substitution, the first thing that comes to mind is a construct rather than an aberration, and that would be the drolem, a dragon golem. A drolem powered by an Immortal artifact would be a threat to a city.
I like that idea. I'm think I'm going to use it. Thanks.
Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:52 am

Havard wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 pm
No body= He is alive in my opinion ;)
According to me too ;)
Havard wrote:
The whole clockwork beholder powered by Immortal artifact is really interesting though.

What artifact and what Immortal are we talking about?

One possibility is that the artifact is the Nucleus of the Spheres (The Radience). That could suggest the beholder construct is simply a Blackmoor era artifact?
It is maybe interesting to know that in my Mystara Monstar Manual Compilation research on the Mystaran Beholder revealed that Blackmoor was rooted in the Beholder origin on Mystara

History as the Immortals know. When the Multiverse was young and chaotic, in the beginning of time, the Great Mother was born from an unknown creature in the Nightmare dimension. It developed so much intelligence that it quickly arose to immense power. Many current races in that realm have either heard of her as being one of the Great Creators of existence, or even herald their own offspring directly to her.
She soon ssucceeded to become Immortal, who her sponsor was is unknown, but Thanatos already did exist, maybe she was his first mortal that he sponsored into Immortality. (He does not know this anymore).
Unlike its mortal spawn, the Great Mother is an egg layer. It drifts endlessly on its mysterious journey, stopping only to lay eggs (in effect casting the Immortal spell Create Species) or briefly return to its home plane. Most of the Great Mother’s eggs hatch into Hive Mothers of various breeds.
Scholars do not know what factors determine the breed of the eggs, though some believe that the Great Mother’s diet greatly influences this process. As the Immortal law: no direct interference against mortals counts only on the Prime Plane, she stays far away from there, and thus devourers any creature she likes to devour, ranging from devil, to demon or Outer Planar spawn. The Great Mother often encounters powerful beings in its wanderings throughout the Planes. Legends say that the Great Mother usually consumes these powerful creatures. These ‘unions’ doubtless account for some of the more unusual sorts of Beholder kin and abominations.
In one of these realms her offspring arose to a great civilization, with technological and magical progress. Yet its chaotic genetic imbalance soon prevailed, and different breeds came forth. At first this was no problem, as the Beholders did not yet have their xenophobic tendency. But soon there was absolutely no order, in all this chaos, and tensions became violence, and violence became a war, a giant war. Several Beholder breeds settled on their space vessels to escape the utter chaos, bringing with them the genetic seed for xenophobia.
In the early Blackmoor era, a gigantic vessel travelled haphazardly through space and finally even through solar system of the Beholders, while they were warring and combating each other, or even trying to flee. Within these travels they succeeded to capture several warring Beholders. It was probably the chaotic energy these creatures emit (magic) that the giant vessel ruptured the dimensional borders in the first place. When the vessel was disabled and crash-landed on Mystara. Nothing happened at first, but soon intruders from the planet, invaded the vessel and released the imprisoned horrors (mostly unwittingly), and so it came the Beholder came to Mystara. Their number of variety in Beholder and Beholder-kin and even abominations limited by the magical aura of the planet itself.

Later the Blackmoorians succeeded to create some control over these creatures and they used them in several wars (incl. the Dragon wars, Wars with Giants. However, as these chaotic creatures tend to break free, they one by one spread over early Mystara. With the GRoF they mutated in various breeds, migrated together, created several settlements; of which Kargash is the only fully active onehttps://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/b ... -734325158
https://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/S ... -734325625

This means it could indeed well be possible the Blackmoorians created a technological artifact (somewhere near 3000BC) mimicking the earlier lving beholders, or maybe even rivalling them, and send it on a mission, it got trapped, energy deprived, during the GRoF and forgotten, until Teldon discovered the creature/construct, recharged it with energy, where it began continuing its primary mission; destroying enemies; let it just be that he assumed Teldon being such;...and so the battle endsued...

lesson of the day; what you bring home can kill you :ugeek:
Havard wrote:
However, it is curious how specific Jeff Grubb are about the details of Teldon's disappearance. Is he simply trying to create a mystery here, or is there a backstory to all of this?
Maybe we should ask him?...wink wink :P ...as you have such awesome contacts :D ?

-Havard
[/quote]

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm

As Robin mentioned, beholders are known to Mystara, as beholders are standard BECMI creatures. There's some suggestion in the Dragonlord Chronicles that they (or, at least, some of them) were brought to Mystara by the Overlord during its invasion of what would eventually be known as Glantri.

If you do an image search for "clockwork monsters" you can see some fascinating designs. There are also some clockwork creatures in AC11 The Book of Wondrous Inventions, like the Clockwork Dragon of Mai-Faddah and the Oddwaddle Centipede.

But putting aside what's appropriate for Mystara, the phrase "clockwork beholder" makes me think of modrons. Specifically a decaton. A commoner in Karameikos, unfamiliar with what a modron might be, might well mistake such a creature for a "clockwork beholder." What if Teldon ran afoul of the forces of cosmic Law or Sphere of Time? Conflict with clockwork monsters from other planes is what prompted the violent anti-technology stance of the Ordo Elementarum in ancient Blackmoor.

Return to “Mystara”