[Superhero d20] Silver Age Sentinels

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Superhero d20] Silver Age Sentinels

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm

« Editor Guardians of Order's move into the d20 market began with their new super-hero RPG, Silver Age Sentinels (2002), written by Mark C. MacKinnon, Jeff Mackintosh, and Jesse Scoble, with Steve Kenson and developed by Lucien Soulban. »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Age_Sentinels

I used to own this book in the early 2000s but I never got the chance to try it. Did you play this game? How was it? We talk about superhero movies a lot on this forum but do you play superhero rpgs ?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Superhero d20] Silver Age Sentinels

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 pm

I remember when this came out, but never picked it up. For some reason I was suspicious of the idea of superhero RPGs with the d20 engine back then. I didn't realize that Steve Kenson was involved with both Silver Age Sentinens and Muntants & Masterminds which both came out in the same year(!). :cool:

It a shame I never got the game. Now I am curious about what it was like.

The only superhero RPG I have played is FASERIP Marvel. I am a big fan of comics and superheroes, but some of the other players in my group were not into it at all so the fantasy genre was usually the compromise.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 pm

The first RPG I ever played was Champions, the cornerstone of the HERO System, which is probably the single most complicated game system ever, but gives you the ability to create nearly any superpowers you can imagine (I say "nearly" because there are a few glaring omissions from the rules due largely to genre enforcement, notably the complete absence of a mechanical representation of pain or crippling injury, along with very minimal rules for fear). Compared to that, other RPG rulesets have always seemed simplistic, often to the point of childishness, though they often gain enough in convenience to make up for the lack of sophistication.

I'm not familiar with SAS, and the general idea of a D20 superhero game seems unconvincing to me.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:01 am

There is a free, creative commons superhero add-on for the d20 Modern RPG called The Phoenix Project RPG. It was developped by several people over the years. When my D20 Modern forum was active the author used it as a sounding board for ideas. It was fun to participate in such a project.

The Phoenix Project RPG :
http://phoenixprojectrpg.com

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:34 pm

The RPG Geek category for this Silver Age Sentinels says that a lot of the books use something called the Tri-Stat system.

Some of the other books seem to be duel-stats. Other books seem to have dumped the d20 System in favour of something called Hero System 5.

How much d20 System stuff do people actually get from this game? Is there enough for people to play long campaigns, or do people need to use the Tri-Stat system if they want to get the best out of Silver Age Sentinels?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:34 pm
The RPG Geek category for this Silver Age Sentinels says that a lot of the books use something called the Tri-Stat system.

Some of the other books seem to be duel-stats. Other books seem to have dumped the d20 System in favour of something called Hero System 5.

How much d20 System stuff do people actually get from this game? Is there enough for people to play long campaigns, or do people need to use the Tri-Stat system if they want to get the best out of Silver Age Sentinels?
Based on the RPGnet review, I would say it is a fully functional d20 rpg. I don't recall spotting any problems with the system when a did a cursory reading of the book.
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12527.phtml

pawsplay
Gnoll

Post by pawsplay » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:48 pm

It's very solid. The only knock against it I can make is that isn't quite as elegant as the Tri-Stat version. While it is mostly a good whole-cloth creation in the d20 language, there are a few spots of conversion-itis.

Kythkyn
Gnoll

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:03 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:01 am
There is a free, creative commons superhero add-on for the d20 Modern RPG called The Phoenix Project RPG. It was developped by several people over the years. When my D20 Modern forum was active the author used it as a sounding board for ideas. It was fun to participate in such a project.
Hey! I remember the forum that that started on!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Return to “d20 Modern”