Will Orcus bring the Blood War to Ghostwalk?

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Will Orcus bring the Blood War to Ghostwalk?

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 15, 2018 12:18 pm

I was reading up on the Blood War recently (there is a lot of chatter about it for Tome of Foes) and the general thing WotC was suggesting was that if demons turn up on a world, devils will follow, to attack them (and vice versa).

There is quite a strong Orcus theme in Ghostwalk, so I was wondering how this might fit in with the Blood War.

Do you think that Orcus thinks that the world's special relationship with the True Afterlife can mask his activity on the world? (i.e. if there are no Petitioners on the Outer Planes that hail from the Ghostwalk world, does that make is harder for the denizens of the Outer Planes to pick up on what he is doing?)

Would there be an advantage for Orcus to take over the True Afterlife, as well as the living world of Ghostwalk? Does Orcus need to use the city of Manifest as a stepping stone to take over the True Afterlife?

Would Orcus be able to remain undetected and try to take over both the world and the True Afterlife? Or will his plot somehow draw attention to the Ghostwalk world and bring it into the Blood War?

Are there any adventures or sourcebooks that would be useful for introducing a Blood War theme into Ghostwalk?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Will Orcus bring the Blood War to Ghostwalk?

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue May 15, 2018 5:28 pm

The Blood War is vast and there are countless mortal worlds. It's not inevitable that the baatezu are going to respond to every provocation on the Material Plane; they may have their hands full elsewhere, or simply have better uses for their resources.

But yes, if you want to have the baatezu act to counter Orcus's plots on the world of Ghostwalk, they might well do so, probably by making pacts with powerful characters in one of the nearby mortal countries, trying to establish pawns there and ultimately transform one of the nations into one of their puppet states.
Does Orcus need to use the city of Manifest as a stepping stone to take over the True Afterlife?
It might help, but it might not be necessary. It depends on what the True Afterlife is. If it's simply a realm in the Outer Planes (my preferred explanation) then he can probably find routes there other than through Manifest.
Are there any adventures or sourcebooks that would be useful for introducing a Blood War theme into Ghostwalk?
Hellbound: The Blood War
Faces of Evil: The Fiends
Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue May 15, 2018 8:29 pm

One curious thing to consider - in the real world, "Orcus" is the name of some minor Roman deity. D&D's Orcus is a demon who aspires to be a god; if he took over the True Afterlife, perhaps he could set himself up as a god, keeping all actual gods out.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 17, 2018 2:45 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:28 pm
The Blood War is vast and there are countless mortal worlds. It's not inevitable that the baatezu are going to respond to every provocation on the Material Plane; they may have their hands full elsewhere, or simply have better uses for their resources.
Oh sure. And some people might think that expanding the Orcus influence to make a full blown Ghostwalk version of the Blood War would be overkill. So maybe I'll discard the idea.

At the moment, I'm wondering how viable it is, what plot hooks might tie into it and if it would be fun™.
ripvanwormer wrote:
But yes, if you want to have the baatezu act to counter Orcus's plots on the world of Ghostwalk, they might well do so, probably by making pacts with powerful characters in one of the nearby mortal countries, trying to establish pawns there and ultimately transform one of the nations into one of their puppet states.
Hmm.

I guess that the baatezu could start off simply offering to help people fight against Orcus.

I wonder if there would be a settlement of refugees from Inuitea, that might be more tempted to make a deal with creatures who offer to help fight Orcus.

The Yuan-Ti seem to want to invade Manifest. Would they be likely to make a deal with baatezu? Or would their status, as natives of Coil, invalidate any deal they want to make with baatezu over Manifest?
ripvanwormer wrote:
BIg Mac wrote:Does Orcus need to use the city of Manifest as a stepping stone to take over the True Afterlife?
It might help, but it might not be necessary. It depends on what the True Afterlife is. If it's simply a realm in the Outer Planes (my preferred explanation) then he can probably find routes there other than through Manifest.
The True Afterlife could be a realm in the existing Outer Planes. But I think that there would need to be some sort of control mechanism that both forces all the souls of Ghostwalk's world/crystal sphere to go to that world...

...and also does that mind wipe thing.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there any adventures or sourcebooks that would be useful for introducing a Blood War theme into Ghostwalk?
Hellbound: The Blood War
Faces of Evil: The Fiends
Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells
Thanks for that list. I'll have to check these out. :cool:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 pm

willpell wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:29 pm
One curious thing to consider - in the real world, "Orcus" is the name of some minor Roman deity. D&D's Orcus is a demon who aspires to be a god; if he took over the True Afterlife, perhaps he could set himself up as a god, keeping all actual gods out.
Orcus is already recognised as a god in the Ghostwalk campaign setting.

So if there is a way for Orcus to become a deity, it would be something he would need to take from Ghostwalk to other D&D campaign settings. :)

Perhaps I should start a topic about using Orcus in HR5 The Glory of Rome over in the Other Worlds forum. :)

Return to “Ghostwalk”