Mysterious Keep w/ Waterwheel in Thunder Rift

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Mysterious Keep w/ Waterwheel in Thunder Rift

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Wondering if anyone knows of a suitable map to use w/ this:

The mysterious keep w/ it's waterwheel high atop the cliffs surrounding the Gloomfens is a relic from ancient Blackmoor. Build under the orders of King Uther Andahar, the keep houses a portal, in a secret room in the dungeon, that connects to ancient Blackmoor. W/ this portal, small groups of Blackmoorians (usually numbering 15-20) are secretly slipped in the Rift & then make their way into the lands beyond the Rift. In this way, Uther has been slowly saving remnants of Blackmoor. Those who come thru, from the past, tend to head for major cities where it's easier to blend in. Some few have, however, built small villages far off the beaten path. Only the Lord/Lady of the Keep can control the portal & they are always someone of Uther's blood. (On those occassions when an early death results before an heir is named, a descendant of The Fletch becomes the default leader of the CBK & can open the portal; but, only to Blackmoor at a time when Uther still lived so he can choose the heir himself.) Those rare few Riftians that actually reach the keep are politely given the option of going thru to Blackmoor, or having their memories erased & being deposited somewhere outside the Rift. (referred to as the Comeback Keep & built sometime after humans find their way into Thunder Rift; but, before Duke Hector Barrik's Keep is relocated to the Hollow World during the Goblin Wars. During the years spanning the Goblin Wars (as well as the years spanning the Sword vs. Wand conflict), the CBK's portal cannot be activated. Due to its location, the CBK avoids the affects of the Goblin Wars & the Sword vs. Wand conflict much later.)
Uther, & by default Blackmoor, has no designs on the Rift; it is simply a means to get groups of their people into the other lands & thereby save fragments of Blackmoor. All of the small Blackmoorian villages that have sprung up, house small libraries (no more than 50-100 tomes) of Blackmoorian lore. Almost all of these tomes are related to "normal" village survival: blacksmithing, farming, herbalism, woodland lore etc. Some few tomes, perhaps 5-10, deal w/ subjects such as: alchemy, history: Blackmoor, magic (various topics), & spellcasting (no more than 1 or 2 tomes). All Blackmoorian subjects going thru the portal are forbidden, under penalty of death, from carrying technology from the past w/ them into the future. Likewise, they are forbidden from trying to recreate ancient tech in their new times.

My mapmaker lacks a symbol for waterwheels.
Last edited by Gravesguardian on Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Re: Mysterious Keep w/ Waterwheel in Thunder Rift

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 pm

What I would like to do w/ the above post is to expand it on the off chance that a party of adventurers ever reaches it. My original purpose for the CBK was:
#1. Save fragments of Blackmoor by relocating small groups into the Rift & beyond.
#2. Give PC's another way out of the Rift & into areas of the Known World, besides Karameikos.
#3. Give Dm's a way to shift PC's between Settings. (The portal to Blackmoor only opens when the current leader of the Keep opens it, otherwise noone knows where the portal leads to.)
#4. Known only to the current leader of the Keep, is the fact that hidden away beneath the Keep is a chamber housing Uther, The Fetch & all of Uther's Companions; all sleeping peacefully in stasis 'til such a times as they might once again be needed to lead the reborn Blackmoor.

Those are just the 4 "solid" purposes I had for it.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am

Ah I've already replied about this here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=19548&p=213238#p213238
It seems you duplicated the posts by accident? Anyway we can continue the discussion here.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Wed May 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Sturm wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am
Ah I've already replied about this here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=19548&p=213238#p213238
It seems you duplicated the posts by accident? Anyway we can continue the discussion here.
I reposted them here to avoid cluttering up the other topic. Thru-out the Blackmoor adventures it's mentioned that the PC's claim to be from the future and that Blackmoor no longer exists. I also believe it states in the later adventures that due to these claims, Uther (more likely The Fetch) started slipping operatives into this future time including merchant-types. (I'll have to scan thru all 4 adventures for actual quotes.)

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 16, 2018 8:09 pm

Well yes it makes sense even if it was never mentioned again in later products. During the DA series Blackmoor was supposed to be in the ancient Broken Lands, then it was retconned in Skothar, so it fits Blackmoor operatives ends up in TR.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Wed May 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Sturm wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:09 pm
Well yes it makes sense even if it was never mentioned again in later products. During the DA series Blackmoor was supposed to be in the ancient Broken Lands, then it was retconned in Skothar, so it fits Blackmoor operatives ends up in TR.
Yeah, in atleast one of the later modules in that series, I "believe" it mentions The Fletch having operatives in Darokin or Glantri, whichever was closest to the CBI while it sat in the Broken Lands. To my way of looking at things, The Fletch would've used any opertunity(sp?) to get operatives into as many lands as possible. Since the portal in the CBI doesn't neccessarily always open to the same twice at all times, its possible w/ the use of the amulets to redirect the destination & slip a few folks into whatever land they show up in.

Return to “Thunder Rift”