[13th Age] Magic Item Quirks

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[13th Age] Magic Item Quirks

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:32 am

In 13th Age, all non-consumable magic items have a quirk. This isn't explained in detail -- perhaps it's an imprint from the creator of the magic item or someone who once wielded it. If a character is at or below their magic item threshold, then these quirks simply provide role-playing potential. I've watched as some players decided to really play up a magic item quirk, while others ignore them.

If a PC exceeds the number of magic items they can carry at once (a threshold determined by the character's level), then the quirks begin to take over the character's personality. The GM or fellow players get to suggest what the PC would do as their psyche is pushed and pulled in multiple directions by several magic items with personalities of their own.

I recently came across a D&D 5th Edition book on the DM's Guild that applied this concept to D&D magic items. The approach did a clever job of making use of 5e's personality traits, bonds, ideals, and flaws. When a character attunes to a magic item, they essentially get an extra personality trait, bond, ideal, or flaw. And when they play it out at the table, they get inspiration, the same as if they played out one of their own.

Are there other ways you could incorporate this into your system or setting of choice? Is this similar to the way magic items are already handled in other games?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [13th Age] Magic Item Quirks

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:53 pm

It sounds to me that the Quirks system in 13th Age is a massively cut back version of the Intelligent Items rules in the 3rd Edition SRD.

The SRD has rules for Intelligent Item Alignment, Languages Spoken By Item, Intelligent Item Powers, Special Purpose Items, Dedicated Power, Item Ego and Items Against Characters and I'm guessing the 13th Age designers thought that was too much bloat and cut it down to what 13th Age has.

I think that you could restore one or two of the sections of the 3e SRD, without needing to add it all. The Intelligent Item Powers, Special Purpose Items and Dedicated Power sections of the SRD might be most useful to you. But the Item Ego and Items Against Characters sections might also help.

Alternatively, you could look at the SRD for inspiration and try to make something that is between the SRD and 13th Age.

(The Intelligent Item section has been removed from the 5e SRD, so perhaps WotC also thought it was bloated.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:53 pm
It sounds to me that the Quirks system in 13th Age is a massively cut back version of the Intelligent Items rules in the 3rd Edition SRD.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of those rules. Do intelligent magic items exert their personalities on their bearers? Are there mechanics for that, too?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 am
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:53 pm
Interesting. I wasn't aware of those rules. Do intelligent magic items exert their personalities on their bearers? Are there mechanics for that, too?
The Item Ego and Items Against Characters sections cover that.

Items gain more ego based on the abilities built into them. The more powerful an item is, the bigger it's ego.

If a PC does stuff to offend a magic item, they have to make a Will save against the item's ego. If the PC doesn't give in the the item's demands, it can even do things like sabotage the PC during combat or cause the PC to drop it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”