Dwarves: Distant Related Clans and Families

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Hausman
Bugbear

Dwarves: Distant Related Clans and Families

Post by Hausman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Below is a brief list of clans and families that are outside of Rockhome in colonies established for some time; part of them still maintains active diplomatic contact with Dengar. Others are either without news or have been destroyed for some time.

Tordal - ("strong hollow") These are formed in Highforge, Karameikos, around 450 BC. They have relative contact with the Rockhome families, for example, with the Stronghollow of the Wyrwarf and with the court of the king of King Everast XVI through his ambassador in Mirros - Bolto Nordenshield.

Makrest - ("broken teeth") Formed in Buhrohur, Thyatis, 1st century AC. These are led by Gilla of the family of the Blyskarats. These still maintain (although little) relative commercial contact with Rockhome.

Denkress- ("longtooth") These are formally established in AC 400, in Kildorkak. The city is named "Stormhaven"; translated to dwarven "Kildorkak", in Norwold, the colony of Kildorkak was founded in AC 386). His contact with Rockhome is infrequent. Its leader is the Evedotar Gard Rocktooth.

Barrad - ("blonde iron") They were formally established around AC 400-425; twin Clan of Denkres; founded Borneth'k'rak, twin colony of Kildorkak, AC 391.

Wurkrest - ("wyrmsteeth") They were established in Wyrmsteeth, Norwold, around AC 800. Despite their isolationism, these dwarves have strong ties with their cousins of Stormhaven, and holds some contact (with clan Ambassadors) with Rockhome. These are Lead by Wurkrest Clanmaster Baldur Borneth (also leader of the Red Hammer an elite dwarven organisation, with a few human members, mostly clerics).

Takkras - Corrupted from “Tar-Kres” (“Beard fangs”); they were formed near Arcadia, Norwold, AC 828. Ruler:Tark Takkras (Clanlord).

Duger - (possibile from Dulgar, "house in the deep") These Minrothad dwarves no longer use their names from Rockhome, but have taken craft-related names like other guildsmen.Leading clans are Clan Stronghold, Clan Duger, and Clan Hewer.

Hewer/Hammar ("hammer") Most dwarves are members of Guild Hammer, named for the Hammer clan which led the exodus to Minrothad (all descendants of the original immigrants led by Darkbrow Hammer or of dwarves who followed shortly thereafter). The guild does crafts which deal with metal and stone.

Rak ("stronghold") In 828 AC they migrated from Rockhome to Glantri in search of gold; being very unwelcome there (being hunted, tortured, examined and blamed for the Plague by the mages even up to today), they departed on Guild ships to join the craftsmen of the Minrothad Isles. They settled on Fortress Island around 841 AC when the dwarven port of Stronghold was established. Important ruling member: Guild Master Thor Stronghold.

Hurgon (“cave/cavern”) They were formed in Alphatia, around AC 950; These were led by the Queen Buthra of the family of the Bofadar. They maintained relative commercial contact with Rockhome until they were destroyed when the Alphatian continent sank in 1009 AC.)

Certainly each of these families and their members (which has conducted a thorough research between the original publications and the fanon materials that have developed a bit more of Rockhome) can be seen in the "Dwarven Families Extended" article published in Threshold Magazine Issues # 18 and # 19

This article and the previous one (published in Threshold Magazine issue # 16 "Updates for your Rockhome Champaign") was the result of the updating and detailing of this scenario in conversation with Giulio Caroletti and other members of the Old Almanac Team for the construction of the Mystaran Almanac AC 1020 which is in production.
Last edited by Hausman on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Dwarves: Distant Related Clans and Families

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm

One time period I see missing is circa BC 1000 - BC 900. These are the times when the Glittering Realm was established, and when the hin lands were ruled over by dwarven masters. Do you have any specific dwarven families tied into those events, and would they (or their descendants) still be around operating in the world in the modern era?

RobJN has done a bit of work on (I think) Kurest Hurgon as part of his Thorn's Chronicles, and that has quite a few spectacular ideas that can be mined.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm
RobJN has done a bit of work on (I think) Kurest Hurgon as part of his Thorn's Chronicles, and that has quite a few spectacular ideas that can be mined.
... I see what you did there.... ;)

I was also wondering about possible ties (or deliberate cutting thereof) to Loktal Ironshield and the whole "take over the Shires" deal, as well...
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 pm

RobJN wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:39 pm
You mean casting "Summon RobJN" or casting "Summon RobJN" with a pun ;) :mrgreen:

The interesting thing regarding that time period (IIRC) is that those events aren't even listed in Gaz 6 (Rockhome). You have to go the Gaz 8 (The Shires) in order to discover that tidbit about dwarven history. It's almost as if it's something the dwarves themselves would prefer to forget :twisted: .

Did you delve into any dwarven clans or families when you were working on your own material for Kurest Hurgon/Karrnath?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 am

Chimpman wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 pm
RobJN wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:39 pm
You mean casting "Summon RobJN" or casting "Summon RobJN" with a pun ;) :mrgreen:

The interesting thing regarding that time period (IIRC) is that those events aren't even listed in Gaz 6 (Rockhome). You have to go the Gaz 8 (The Shires) in order to discover that tidbit about dwarven history. It's almost as if it's something the dwarves themselves would prefer to forget :twisted: .

Did you delve into any dwarven clans or families when you were working on your own material for Kurest Hurgon/Karrnath?
I don't have anything specific outside of the Ironshield name (which should probably be translated back into Denwarf). There were 40 some odd surviving dwarves under Ironshield's command, but I honestly haven't given much thought to which clan they might belong. They are not the nicest of dwarves, so there is the distinct possibility that they might originate from that xenophobic/insular clan the name of which I can't remember the name at the moment...
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:49 pm

Hausman wrote: Hurgon (“cave/cavern”) They were formed in Alphatia, around AC 950; These were led by the Queen Buthra of the family of the Bofadar. They maintained relative commercial contact with Rockhome until they were destroyed when the Alphatian continent sank in 1009 AC.)
Hey Hausman (or anyone else who knows), where does the AC 950 date actually come from? Is it from DotE?

I vaguely remember looking at this date before, a couple of years ago when Bruce released extra information on Alphatia through his blog. From the Denwarf-Hurgon entry there is this:
Such facilities took many centuries to build and clearly qualify as one of the world wonders of Mystara.
This statement definitely contradicts the AC 950 date, since that would indicate the Stoutfellow dwarves have only been in Alphatia for decades, and not centuries. So far I haven't found any solid dates from Bruce. I'll keep looking. I somehow remember Bruce having the intention that those dwarves were in Alphatia for a lot longer.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:06 pm

RobJN wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 am
I don't have anything specific outside of the Ironshield name (which should probably be translated back into Denwarf). There were 40 some odd surviving dwarves under Ironshield's command, but I honestly haven't given much thought to which clan they might belong. They are not the nicest of dwarves, so there is the distinct possibility that they might originate from that xenophobic/insular clan the name of which I can't remember the name at the moment...
Quick check in Gaz 6 for names:
Rad = iron
Shyld = shield (although sometimes dwarves spell it in the human fashion)

So translated back into the dwarve tongue his name would have been Loktal Radshyld or Loktal Radshield.

A couple of possibilities for his clan:
Buhrodar - dedicated to securing Rockhome's borders against humanoids.
Torkrest - fighters/military, work hard to influence Rockhome politics.

Modern Buhrodar seem to have a more religious bend, but we are talking about a long time ago, so I think either of these could still be possibilities. Everast might be another - especially if Loktal was from some offshoot family that never had a chance of gaining the dwarven throne.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:06 pm
Everast might be another - especially if Loktal was from some offshoot family that never had a chance of gaining the dwarven throne.
This has some good story possibilities: he could have made a claim for the throne and been laughed out of Rockhome, and took to the Glittering Lands to amass enough wealth to return and choke those who ridiculed him. Or he could have made a bloodier play for the throne, and been exiled. In which case he sought out the legends of the Glittering Lands to either buy himself some luxury and maybe an army or two... only to find the softer halflings an easier* pickings.

*yeah, we know how that turned out.... :mrgreen:
Rob

Hausman
Bugbear

Post by Hausman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am

Chimpman wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:49 pm
Hausman wrote: Hurgon (“cave/cavern”) They were formed in Alphatia, around AC 950; These were led by the Queen Buthra of the family of the Bofadar. They maintained relative commercial contact with Rockhome until they were destroyed when the Alphatian continent sank in 1009 AC.)
Hey Hausman (or anyone else who knows), where does the AC 950 date actually come from? Is it from DotE?

I vaguely remember looking at this date before, a couple of years ago when Bruce released extra information on Alphatia through his blog. From the Denwarf-Hurgon entry there is this:
Such facilities took many centuries to build and clearly qualify as one of the world wonders of Mystara.
This statement definitely contradicts the AC 950 date, since that would indicate the Stoutfellow dwarves have only been in Alphatia for decades, and not centuries. So far I haven't found any solid dates from Bruce. I'll keep looking. I somehow remember Bruce having the intention that those dwarves were in Alphatia for a lot longer.
Hi John

This date of 950AC is described in DotE Players Guide Book III - page 09. Allston makes it clear that it was the period in which Tylion IV sent the invitation to the Known World dwarves to settle in Stoutfellow, and formally Queen Bofadar takes the throne in Denwarf-Hurgon.

Of course I understand that Bruce wanted a little more freedom in his work for a period of time in order to elaborate plots with the dwarves there ... however if you are considering the PWA's and DotE, you need to consider the dates of the Allston in account.

A good suggestion that I can recommend would be to use the period of 950AC just as the official of the kingdom formed and that an informal colony in the Kerothar Mountains already had a co-participation between Alphatians and colonist dwaves and gnomes (this would justify a already built dawarven-train in so short time!).As you can see in my article "Dwarven Families pt 2" some families of Syrklist and Skarrad are still connected and related to these distant relatives settlers who settled in Stoutfellow.

=)

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 pm

In Threshold issue #11 I assumed dwarves and gnomes live in Alphatia since before the Alphatians, because I consider Blackmoor material canon, and if dwarves and gnomes lived in Skothar in 4000 BC, as well in Brun, it comes logically they also lived in the land in-between the two continents. However it is true DotE said 950 BC, which IMHO is too near from any point of view, because it makes no sense a fully functional and populous dwarven kingdom was established only 50 years ago campaign time.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Hausman wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am
This date of 950AC is described in DotE Players Guide Book III - page 09. Allston makes it clear that it was the period in which Tylion IV sent the invitation to the Known World dwarves to settle in Stoutfellow, and formally Queen Bofadar takes the throne in Denwarf-Hurgon.
A good suggestion that I can recommend would be to use the period of 950AC just as the official of the kingdom formed and that an informal colony in the Kerothar Mountains already had a co-participation between Alphatians and colonist dwaves and gnomes (this would justify a already built dawarven-train in so short time!).As you can see in my article "Dwarven Families pt 2" some families of Syrklist and Skarrad are still connected and related to these distant relatives settlers who settled in Stoutfellow.
This is pretty much what I assumed. I vaguely remember reading the 950 AC date somewhere (I suspected it was DotE).
Sturm wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 pm
In Threshold issue #11 I assumed dwarves and gnomes live in Alphatia since before the Alphatians, because I consider Blackmoor material canon, and if dwarves and gnomes lived in Skothar in 4000 BC, as well in Brun, it comes logically they also lived in the land in-between the two continents. However it is true DotE said 950 BC, which IMHO is too near from any point of view, because it makes no sense a fully functional and populous dwarven kingdom was established only 50 years ago campaign time.
I went with Bruce's changes as well, when I was working on the BC 2300 material, for much of the same reasons.

One thing I'm thinking of reconciling these two versions is to have a long established dwarven kingdom in Stoutfellow, but have them undergo some internal struggles over the last several centuries. Perhaps there was even something like a civil war that erupted circa 900 AC to 925 AC and ended with the dwarven kingdom's government in shambles. In order to stabilize the country, the Alphatian crown reached out to the nearest relatives of the late crown in Rockhome, and asked them to come help put the country back together again.

Something like this could also lead to some nice internal politics with the new crown being seen as foreign usurpers by the native dwarven population, even though they have support of the Alphatian Empire. There might be radical groups opposed to the new dwarven royals, and perhaps even som trying to put older family lines back on the throne (which would cause more trouble for Alphatia). Just some quick thought that might be worth expanding.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Sure the arrival of Rockhome colonists makes sense indeed.

Hausman
Bugbear

Post by Hausman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:41 am

Chimpman wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:30 pm
Hausman wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am
This is pretty much what I assumed. I vaguely remember reading the 950 AC date somewhere (I suspected it was DotE).
Sturm wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 pm

I went with Bruce's changes as well, when I was working on the BC 2300 material, for much of the same reasons.

One thing I'm thinking of reconciling these two versions is to have a long established dwarven kingdom in Stoutfellow, but have them undergo some internal struggles over the last several centuries. Perhaps there was even something like a civil war that erupted circa 900 AC to 925 AC and ended with the dwarven kingdom's government in shambles. In order to stabilize the country, the Alphatian crown reached out to the nearest relatives of the late crown in Rockhome, and asked them to come help put the country back together again.

Something like this could also lead to some nice internal politics with the new crown being seen as foreign usurpers by the native dwarven population, even though they have support of the Alphatian Empire. There might be radical groups opposed to the new dwarven royals, and perhaps even som trying to put older family lines back on the throne (which would cause more trouble for Alphatia). Just some quick thought that might be worth expanding.
Yes, in fact it's a very appropriate perspective and it brings together Allston's versions, with Bruce's ... as well as Francesco's proposal published at Threshold.

I still go further, "Shadow Dwarves" - they are in the dark zones and denser levels of Stoutfellow's underdeep. In this region boundary, the dwarves patrol and monitor the boundary that is described as a zone of conflict between these two groups of years.

Without a doubt a story in the meantime.

Hausman
Bugbear

Post by Hausman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:51 am

Chimpman wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm
One time period I see missing is circa BC 1000 - BC 900. These are the times when the Glittering Realm was established, and when the hin lands were ruled over by dwarven masters. Do you have any specific dwarven families tied into those events, and would they (or their descendants) still be around operating in the world in the modern era?

Well, I could make a listing of the families that appear in the article that already existed and were active in Rockhome but there are not many that I see. It is important to note that the work I wrote and researched is strongly based on the material of Allston (GAZ 6, GAZ 1 , PWA 'and DotE) to be compatible with the Mystaran Almanacs for sequencing - there is also a deep research into the fanon materials developed by Jasper, Robin and Giulio.

So ... what I could say about Loktal Ironshield (a Kurish Dwarf) follows according to what was developed in this fanon line as follows:

"Loktar Ironshield was an enterprising,
energetic adult dwarf who had adventured
from Khurish through Sindh and Atruaghin
and Malpheggi, had visited and fought
against humanoids in an orc-ruled halfling
nation where he had seen caves and mines
filled with riches that were waiting only for
capable miners and cave-dwellers to extract
them, and where a mysterious cold flame
burned in the depths of the earth.

Even though the hin had risen and
overthrown the orcs, their control over the
land was unstable, and the mountains and
passes were still fighting ground for the two
races. It was the mountains which interested
Loktar most: he thought he could crush the
orcs allying himself with the hin and gaining
the ore-rich peaks for himself and his
followers.

While most Khurish dwarves decided to
remain in their secluded mountains, Loktar
Ironshield managed to convince a consistent
number to follow him, so Loktar built a small
but skilled and efficient army and started
preparations for the migration and war
expedition."

(Threshold Magazine #16 - Guilio Caroletti notes , page 18)

Hausman
Bugbear

Post by Hausman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:06 am

Notes by Guiulio Caroletti - About the work of Jesper (Notes of Rodape - Threshold # 16 - page 17)

"Most of this section is derived from Jesper
Andersen, “ Genealogy of the Dwarves” .
According to Jesper, Loktar’s dwarves were
part of what he called ‘ First Dwarves’,
untouched since the time of Blackmoor by
Kagyar and Garl ,and thus separated by over
2,000 years from the eastern dwarves .Jesper
doesn’t explain where these dwarves came
from, so I located their origin in the Khurish
massif, far enough not to have any contacts
with eastern dwarves , and close enough that
a migration to the Five Shires makes sense .
By 500 BC the Khurish dwarves were so
hard pressed by humans and humanoids in
the Sind region that they had all left towards
the Savage Coast. These dwarves were the
first to arrive to the eastern Savage Coast
and build small colonies . It is established by
Canon that dwarves first arrive there by 450
BC."

Return to “Mystara”