Selorian Firesinger

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Selorian Firesinger

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:46 pm

I was just reading about Circle Magic and noticed an NPC called Selorian Firesinger hidden in the blurb:
Circle Magic sidebar, page 28 of Ghostwalk wrote:For example, Selorian Firesinger leads a circle in which four participants each cast 2nd level spells. Selorian chooses to use three circle bonus levels to maximise his flame strike spell and five to increase his caster level from 10th to 15th level for all level-based variables in his spells. The maximised spell is used up when he casts his flame strike, and the increased level effect remains in place for the next 24 hours. Many high-level spellcaster of Galaedros in Sura-Khiri lead circles on a daily basis to better defend their lands against the yuan-ti.
The facts we get there are:
  • Selorian is a divine servant of Galedros,
  • Selorian leads a circle of four other NPCs,
  • Selorian is male,
  • He can cast the flame strike spell,
  • His caster level is 10th.
What we don't know is what sort of divine spellcasting class Selorian has.

We also don't know if he lives in Sura-Khiri. That sentence is in the same paragraph, but it's not specifically linked to him.

He might be an elf living in Sura-Khiri, but if he is not based in Sura-Khiri, he might be living somewhere else in the world. And if he is a ranger, druid or cleric of Galaedros living elsewhere, he might not be an elf.

Is it possible to infer anything from the flame strike spell? Here is what the Hypertext d20 SRD says:
Hypertext d20 SRD wrote:Flame Strike

Evocation [Fire]
Level: Clr 5, Drd 4, Sun 5, War 5
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Cylinder (10-ft. radius, 40 ft. high)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

A flame strike produces a vertical column of divine fire roaring downward. The spell deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.
That would appear to rule out the idea that Selorian Firesinger is a Ranger and narrow things down to him being a Cleric or a Druid. Clerics gain 5th Level spells at 9th Level and Druids gain 4th Level spells at 7th Level, so that doesn't narrow it down any more (as Selorian is high enough level to be either class).

Has anyone seen any more details about Selorian Firesinger online? I can't find anything except people quoting the Circle Magic sidebar.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Ghostwalk”