D20 Modern Campaigns Set in Gamma World?

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

D20 Modern Campaigns Set in Gamma World?

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:13 pm

In this thread about D20 Modern Campaign Settings, Ashtagon offers the following theory:
Ashtagon wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:21 pm
This leads me to note that there were three distinct Sci-Fi genres that early TSR covered. I believe "Post-Whoops" and "Space Hulk" were in a shared universe, but that "Space Opera" was a separate universe.

Post-Whoops
Gamma World and Omega World (Dungeon magazine) are obviously meant to be in a shared (same?) universe — they both feature aliens (actually mutated animals) called hoops and badders.

The Wasteland (d20 Future) makes no mention of specific aliens or mutants, but it is entirely believable that it could be in a shared universe with Gamma World. Atomic Sunrise (from d20 Apocalypse) is really just a more developed version of The Wasteland, except it includes campaign notes that tie it closer to the USA, and removes even the theoretical Gamma World association.

Space Opera
Star Frontiers (1982) featured dralasites (among others), and was not in the same shared universe as Gamma World. The races were copied and transplanted wholesale into d20 Future Chapter 13.

Star*Drive featured klicks (the designated enemy race, vaguely arachnoid). The d20 Future version doesn't formally specify other races, but implies the full Chapter 13 list is available; the artwork however includes one of the t'sa. I don't have the Alternity version of Star*Drive. What aliens are present in that game?

d20 Future's Star Law doesn't explicitly feature any aliens noted in the text. However, the art includes what looks very much like a weren.

Space Hulk
Amazing Engine's Metamorphosis Alpha to Omega features life in a wilderness setting. The tomato surprise is that it turns out to be a starship. Metamorphosis Alpha (1976) is the same thing. AD&D (1e) Module S4 is essentially the same concept, but on a crashed malfunctioning ship that had the same mission. I suspect this is the same "shared universe" as Gamma World, although not the same "campaign setting". The "aliens" are the same hoops, badders, and their friends found in Gamma World.

From what I understand, Gamma World and Metamorphosis Alpha were always assumed to take place in the same universe, so it makes sense that the D20 Modern/Future takes on these settings are similarly connected.

I agree with Ashtagon that there is no reason why any of the Space Opera settings would be connected to Gamma World, though if a GM wanted to he probably could connect them in different ways.

I don't know if I understand why Atomic Sunrise (from D20 Apocalypse) cannot also be set in Gamma World since Gamma World is also based on North America?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: D20 Modern Campaigns Set in Gamma World?

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:11 am

Regarding Atomic Sunrise and Gamma World, my gut feeling is that Atomic Sunrise wasn't intended to be the same setting, as it rather pointedly fails to mention non-humans in a sourcebook that introduced over a dozen non-human playable races. While Atomic Sunrise could be bolted on to Gamma World, it doesn't really add anything extra to that setting (conversely, Gamma World added to Atomic Sunrise looks identical to vanilla Gamma World).
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:05 am

I don't think I've heard of Atomic Sunrise before.

When did TSR publish that? Did it come out before or after Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:03 am

Atomic Sunrise was a campaign setting seed suggestion (one of nine presented in a single chapter) within d20 Future. It came across as somewhere between "Mad max" and "Gamma World minus mutant critters". It is conceivable that it was intended to be a Gamma World take using d20 Modern rules, but due to not having space in the book for the critters normally associated with the setting, they had to drop references to them, leaving it looking rather bland. Possible, that's all. Based on what was presented, it's lacklustre.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks for clarifying Ash!

I think the real benefit with these connections between the settings isn't that they have to be part of the same world, but the fact that they can be combined in a number of ways. Perhaps you want to run Atomic Sunrise in Gamma World, or perhaps you just want to throw in some elements from Gamma World, but keeping it mainly as outlined with Atomic Sunrise.

Are there elements in the D20 Modern/Future/Apocalypse that could expand on what is found in the Gamma World books?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Gamma World”