another reason to use hurwaeti crews...

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

Jaid
Fire Giant

another reason to use hurwaeti crews...

Post by Jaid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 am

so the book makes a big deal of the fact that hurwaeti can clean air. that's an excellent ability. it's really handy, it means you can afford to overload on people (if you have room), worry less about getting your atmosphere poisoned by events like fires or spells that foul air (like stinking cloud), and so forth.

it also means you have crew members that can operate a series helm, because they have a spell-like ability. for the cost of a major helm, you could have (iirc) a 4-seat series helm (and some spare change) that doesn't remove the ability to cast spells from your ship's mage or priest, can get excellent SR in combat, and your helmsman can be a fighter (better for ramming attacks, can wear armour while sitting on the helm making it harder to kill them while boarding), and makes it harder to steal the ship for anyone that isn't also using hurwaeti (series helms are race-specific as i recall).

now, you are limited to a lower tonnage than a major helm which will be a dealbreaker if you're looking to have an exceptionally large ship, and there are a few other minor advantages to having a major helm (better acceleration/deceleration, ability to power an accelerator which is an exceptional weapon if you're drowning in cash), but for a lot of people you're really looking at a significant advantage gained by using hurwaeti... if you can hire them, that is :)

Lord Torath
Troll

Re: another reason to use hurwaeti crews...

Post by Lord Torath » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:25 am

I thought Series Helms could only be used by Mind Flayers. Did that change somewhere? <scurries off to check my books>

Okay, I thought wrong (Concordance of Arcane Space p36). They were originally just for Mind Flayers, but they have since been designed for other races with innate spell-like abilities.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Jaid wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 am
so the book makes a big deal of the fact that hurwaeti can clean air. that's an excellent ability. it's really handy, it means you can afford to overload on people (if you have room), worry less about getting your atmosphere poisoned by events like fires or spells that foul air (like stinking cloud), and so forth.
Isn't there some sort of rule where several hurwaeti need to work together to clean up the air or somesuch? I'll have to look these guys up and check what the text says. :?

PRE-POST EDIT: They are on pages 20-21 of CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook:
CGR1 Complete Spacefarer's Handbook wrote:Each adult hurwaeti can produce a fog cloud, per the spell, once per day. The volume of the fog cloud consists of a rectangular area 60' on a side and 20' high. Only the fog bank version of the cloud can be produced. <snip>

Multiple hurwaeti working togethe can refresh the atmosphere of a ship by using their fog cloud ability, Each hurwaeti can produce enough fog cloud to refresh the air associated with 10 tons worth of vessel. All of the hurwaeti can produce enough fog cloud to refresh the atmosphere associated with 10 tons worth of vessel. All of the hurwaeti have to work simultaneously to produce fog cloud to refresh the vessel's entire atmosphere in order for the atmosphere to be restored from deadly to fresh. Half the required hurwaeti can refresh the air from deadly to foul, or from foul to fresh.
HURWAETI AIR REFRESHING ABILITY:
Number of Hurwaeti|Tonnage refreshed from deadly to fresh|Tonnage refreshed from deadly to foul/foul to fresh
1|10|20
2|20|40
3|30|60
4|40|80
5|50|100
6|60|120
7|70|140
8|80|160
9|90|180
10|100|200

I'll be very interested to see how the effects of creating air interact with the ability to operate series helms. I'm presuming that operating the helms would make it impossible for the hurwaeti to create air on the same day. But if you have a full crew of hurwaeti, they could just sit in space for a day and the atmosphere would last for months...or they could clean the air over two days, if that would allow them to move at a slower SR (which would still give them full spelljammer speed, so long as they were not near an object that forced their ship to drop to tactical speed)
Jaid wrote:
it also means you have crew members that can operate a series helm, because they have a spell-like ability. for the cost of a major helm, you could have (iirc) a 4-seat series helm (and some spare change) that doesn't remove the ability to cast spells from your ship's mage or priest, can get excellent SR in combat, and your helmsman can be a fighter (better for ramming attacks, can wear armour while sitting on the helm making it harder to kill them while boarding), and makes it harder to steal the ship for anyone that isn't also using hurwaeti (series helms are race-specific as i recall).
Is there a maximum number of Series Helms that can be chained together?
Jaid wrote:
now, you are limited to a lower tonnage than a major helm which will be a dealbreaker if you're looking to have an exceptionally large ship, and there are a few other minor advantages to having a major helm (better acceleration/deceleration, ability to power an accelerator which is an exceptional weapon if you're drowning in cash), but for a lot of people you're really looking at a significant advantage gained by using hurwaeti... if you can hire them, that is :)
I thought there was something called a Series Major Helm (which was namechecked but never fully explained). :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Lord Torath
Troll

Post by Lord Torath » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:38 am

There is no stated maximum number of Series helms in Concordance of Arcane Space, although it says Mind Flayer ships generally have 1d4+1 series helms. It also doesn't say anything about series helms "draining" the spell-like abilities of their users, so the huwaeti crews could still purify air while manning the helms.

I thought that Series Major Helms were described in the Astromundi Cluster, which I have not read. (Someone else will need to verify that). Other than that, they get a mention in War Captain's Companion in the Zoo Craft entry in Book 2: Ship Recognition Guide.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 am

apologies, was away for a bit. could've swore there was an explicit max of 5 series helms typically (i would not be even a tiny bit surprised to discover that the arcane can get around that limitation, but i don't believe there is any such example in canon).... if it isn't in the core box, it might be mentioned in WCC, perhaps in the helm information chart in the section on designing your own ship (i still haven't resolved my problem with deleted books, but i likely will shortly). and Torath is correct, they do not interfere with the use of the spell-like abilities of the helmsmen at all.

series major helms (which are not the same thing as series helms) should indeed be found in the astromundi cluster, though recently when i brought it up nobody else was able or willing to confirm.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 pm

In the original boxed set, it gives an SR of 2-5 for the Series Helm, and *never* mentions more than 5 (the pool helm "frees up the 2-5 mind flayers who would be in the series helm." It seems to be an implicit rule rather than explicit.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 am

Table 5-12 in Book 1 of the War Captain's Companion says the Series Helm provides 1 SR/helmsman to a maximum of 5 SR.

I don't think Astromundi Cluster has much on the Series Major Helm, basically just stating that it's how the Crystal Citadels move, with no details regarding SR, spelljamming speed, or the ratio of helms to tonnage.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:47 am

The Dark wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 am
Table 5-12 in Book 1 of the War Captain's Companion says the Series Helm provides 1 SR/helmsman to a maximum of 5 SR.

I don't think Astromundi Cluster has much on the Series Major Helm, basically just stating that it's how the Crystal Citadels move, with no details regarding SR, spelljamming speed, or the ratio of helms to tonnage.
so no maximum to series helms, just a point beyond which you're adding costs and no benefit. well, close enough :P

not sure where else actual information on series major helm can be found, though i got the impression it was more like a technology to link regular major helms than a special kind of helm per se.

Return to “Spelljammer”