Anyone try The Black Hack?

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Anyone try The Black Hack?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 am

I mentioned The Black Hack in a topic about Kaigaku RPG a couple of years ago, but didn't think to start a topic about The Black Hack* itself.

* = The Black Hack is also available in other languages.

Does anyone play with these rules?

They seem very small to me (as a 3e D&D and formerly 2e AD&D player used to having chapters of rules for specific areas of roleplaying). Is that a QuickStart version that has been expanded upon elsewhere or can you literally pair down all RPG decisions to just those rules?

What's it like to play? Do you make lots of house rules or do you wing-it as you go along?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Re: Anyone try The Black Hack?

Post by Darkanth » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 am
I mentioned The Black Hack in a topic about Kaigaku RPG a couple of years ago, but didn't think to start a topic about The Black Hack* itself.

* = The Black Hack is also available in other languages.

Does anyone play with these rules?

They seem very small to me (as a 3e D&D and formerly 2e AD&D player used to having chapters of rules for specific areas of roleplaying). Is that a QuickStart version that has been expanded upon elsewhere or can you literally pair down all RPG decisions to just those rules?

What's it like to play? Do you make lots of house rules or do you wing-it as you go along?
That's all you need to start playing. The rules are simplistic, and easily adaptable to other genres (check out DTRPG or RPGNow under The Black Hack. The Cthulhu Hack and the Wasted Hack are awesome!). Parts that I especially like are the Resources Dice. You Don't have to keep track of exactly how many torches you have, or arrows, etc. At the end of a set time frame, or after a battle, you roll the appropriate die and if you get a 1 or 2, then it downgrades to the next one. So if it's a d6, it drops down to a d4, if you roll 1 or 2 on that, then you're out of that particular resource. Armour absorbs damage, it doesn't make you harder to hit. The player makes all rolls, except Damage from Opponents, and every non-resource roll is a Save against one of the characters attributes (Str, Dex, Con, etc). This includes Combat- Characters Attack and Defend themselves.
The main thing that may throw off some people is the Roll Under mechanic used. All Task Resolution is on a d20, and the TN is 1 less than your actual score- i.e. Str 15 need to roll 14 or less to succeed. 15 or above is a failure. Most people have house ruled so its equal to/less than TN. It doesn't make much difference as far as i can tell. A Natural 20 is an Automatic Failure, and a Natural 1 is an Automatic Success. Advantage/Disadvantage is also used. There are a few other rules, but as Big Mac says, it's all stuffed into a few pages.
I'm hoping the above makes sense, but if not, Buy the Books!, they're awesome.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm

I like it.
Last edited by shesheyan on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:42 am

I didn't even know about it, until today, I'll have to check it out.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:56 am

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm
Double post...
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:41 am

Been reading it over and it looks like an interesting lite system, I'm looking forward to either playing in the system or GMing it.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 am

I find that it's simple enough that I can use it for games with my younger kids, but still captures an old school D&D feel.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Darkanth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 pm
That's all you need to start playing. The rules are simplistic, and easily adaptable to other genres (check out DTRPG or RPGNow under The Black Hack. The Cthulhu Hack and the Wasted Hack are awesome!).
Nice.

Somebody call me when they have a Wildspace Hack. ;)
Darkanth wrote:
Parts that I especially like are the Resources Dice. You Don't have to keep track of exactly how many torches you have, or arrows, etc. At the end of a set time frame, or after a battle, you roll the appropriate die and if you get a 1 or 2, then it downgrades to the next one. So if it's a d6, it drops down to a d4, if you roll 1 or 2 on that, then you're out of that particular resource.
That's an interesting mechanic.

It reminds me of something in the d20 Modern rules, where money was about what sort of stuff you could afford...rather than being about exactly how much cash you had.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Darkanth wrote:
Parts that I especially like are the Resources Dice. You Don't have to keep track of exactly how many torches you have, or arrows, etc. At the end of a set time frame, or after a battle, you roll the appropriate die and if you get a 1 or 2, then it downgrades to the next one. So if it's a d6, it drops down to a d4, if you roll 1 or 2 on that, then you're out of that particular resource.

It reminds me of something in the d20 Modern rules, where money was about what sort of stuff you could afford...rather than being about exactly how much cash you had.
This gives me some ideas for a project I am working on. Very cool!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Darkanth wrote:
That's all you need to start playing. The rules are simplistic, and easily adaptable to other genres (check out DTRPG or RPGNow under The Black Hack. The Cthulhu Hack and the Wasted Hack are awesome!).
Nice.

Get the book and make your own ;)
Big Mac wrote:
Darkanth wrote:

I have been using a Requisition Die in my current Hack. Specific Archetypes start with anything from a d20 to a d6. Some really expensive items automatically downgrade the Die without rolling. Haven't quite perfected a "recovery" method yet.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:36 am

This is for Old D&D?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 am

BlackBat242 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:36 am
This is for Old D&D?
Yes and No? It states specifically on the inside front cover of the book that it's 'An "OSR" First Edition Hack'. I personally feel it COULD be used with OD&D material easily enough, but it would also work with BECMI and 2e. Not so sure about 3e, 4e, etc. I wasn't quite sure why Big Mac put it here tbh, but until/if it gets its own slot I guess it's fairly close to it here.

matakishi
Kobold

Post by matakishi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:14 pm

I've just finished running a Black Hack campaign. We played for about a year and the characters reached 12th level.
everyone enjoyed it and liked the system so, for my Pirates campaign that we've just embarked on, I wrote a Hack instead of using Savage Worlds as I'd intended. I'm also writing some Cthulhu adventures for when we need a filler game if someone's missing for Pirates using the Cthulhu Hack (my group and I have been playing CoC since the first edition but I fancied a change).
The simple system has really gelled with my group (most of us are crusty but my daughter likes it too and she's under thirty so it appeals to kids as well!)
The campaign write up is here:
https://www.matakishi.net/frpg-adventures.html

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:11 am

matakishi wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:14 pm
I've just finished running a Black Hack campaign. We played for about a year and the characters reached 12th level.
everyone enjoyed it and liked the system so, for my Pirates campaign that we've just embarked on, I wrote a Hack instead of using Savage Worlds as I'd intended. I'm also writing some Cthulhu adventures for when we need a filler game if someone's missing for Pirates using the Cthulhu Hack (my group and I have been playing CoC since the first edition but I fancied a change).
The simple system has really gelled with my group (most of us are crusty but my daughter likes it too and she's under thirty so it appeals to kids as well!)
Thanks for sharing that, matakishi. I noticed that this was your first post -- welcome to The Piazza! You may want to take a moment to hop over to the "Introduce Yourself Here" thread and let us know what types of games you play, what settings, and what got you into gaming. It's good to have you join us!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Darkanth wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Darkanth wrote:
Nice.

Get the book and make your own ;)
I have to finish the Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project before I even think about converting Spelljammer to anything else. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Darkanth wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 am
BlackBat242 wrote:
This is for Old D&D?
Yes and No? It states specifically on the inside front cover of the book that it's 'An "OSR" First Edition Hack'. I personally feel it COULD be used with OD&D material easily enough, but it would also work with BECMI and 2e. Not so sure about 3e, 4e, etc. I wasn't quite sure why Big Mac put it here tbh, but until/if it gets its own slot I guess it's fairly close to it here.
I only put it here because I got told before that it was an OD&D retroclone.

I thought that more people who like it would be hanging out here.

I can arrange for the topic to get shunted to The Crunchy BIts if it doesn't match any specific edition of D&D.

As for The Black Hat getting it's own bespoke subforum, there are almost enough people making meaningful posts in this one topic. But will people ever make other topics about the game? If the rules are pared down to the bone, does that mean that people are less likely to need to talk about those rules?

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 pm
Darkanth wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 am
BlackBat242 wrote:
This is for Old D&D?
I only put it here because I got told before that it was an OD&D retroclone.

I thought that more people who like it would be hanging out here.

I can arrange for the topic to get shunted to The Crunchy BIts if it doesn't match any specific edition of D&D.

As for The Black Hat getting it's own bespoke subforum, there are almost enough people making meaningful posts in this one topic. But will people ever make other topics about the game? If the rules are pared down to the bone, does that mean that people are less likely to need to talk about those rules?
I personally would be more inclined to talk about actual Hacks done, including whatever homebrew bits I've added. I'm working on a 40k/Coriolis/SWN Hack at the moment, so would probably be more likely to "spitball" ideas on any actual sub-forum. Would also be happy to look at other folks efforts!

david0black
Kobold

Post by david0black » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm here if anyone wants to pick my brain about the current or upcoming second edition :cool:

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:24 pm

david0black wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm
I'm here if anyone wants to pick my brain about the current or upcoming second edition :cool:
OH! and when would that be approximately ? :roll:

matakishi
Kobold

Post by matakishi » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:55 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:24 pm
The Kickstarter promises November.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:20 am

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:24 pm
david0black wrote:
You can keep track of the Kickstarter here, if you're interested.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 am

david0black wrote:
Welcome to The Piazza, David!

I will have to ask Havard to add you to his Celebrities on The Piazza list. You might also want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic and tell people a bit about yourself and the sort of games you like to talk about (or create).

And you might also want to edit your forum signature to add a link to The Black Hack (or your other work) or use your forum avatar to put up a picture that helps people work out you are the Black Hack person. :)

Return to “Original D&D”