[BECMI] Cost of non standard magical items

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

agathokles
Red Dragon

[BECMI] Cost of non standard magical items

Post by agathokles » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:13 pm

The RC contains rules for magic item construction. However, these are limited to weapons and armors with bonuses, and items with spell-like powers.
Such costs are useful both for PCs wishing to create items, or hire wizards to do that for them, and also to build custom items that are not too unbalanced with respect to standard ones and/or the party level.

How would you adjudicate the initial cost for other kinds of powers? E.g., a ring providing 1 extra 1st level spell slot to a MU or Elf, or a spear that adds 1d6 lightning damage, but only when the wielder hits with a natural 20?

GP

pauldupuis
Orc

Re: [BECMI] Cost of non standard magical items

Post by pauldupuis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 pm

In the BECMI rules for making magic items, there are discussion of "restrictions" and the costs is discounted for each restriction. See the section on magic weapons and how something like a +2 vs dragons VS a +2 vs GREEN dragons is handled. The green dragon weapons is more restrictive and has a greater discount to cost. There is a similar rule under Misc. Magic Items for usage limitations. x uses per hour vs x uses per day vs x uses per week (the latter being more restrictive and costing less).

For your spear, 1d6 damage is about equivalent to a magic missile, so calculate a spear with a 1st level spell power and then discount it as you see appropriate for the extra damage only on a nat 20. I suppose whether that would 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30% or more depends on how often your player rolls natural 20's!

You may also want to search Pandius.com for the wonderful PDF called Arcane Magic (http://pandius.com/arcane_magic.pdf) by Marco Dalmonte & Matteo Barnabè which adds numerous spells to the BECMI/RC and GAZ spell lists that correspond to the spells needed for many of the RC listed magic items. I think you will find the spell in this PDF that corresponds to what you would use to enchant a ring of spell storing or ring of memory.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am

I always used AD&D 2e Magic Encyclopedia's Vol 1 and 2.
Never had much use of ad-hoc created magic items but used the closest item as a guide when it did happen.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:33 am

pauldupuis wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 pm
In the BECMI rules for making magic items, there are discussion of "restrictions" and the costs is discounted for each restriction. See the section on magic weapons and how something like a +2 vs dragons VS a +2 vs GREEN dragons is handled. The green dragon weapons is more restrictive and has a greater discount to cost. There is a similar rule under Misc. Magic Items for usage limitations. x uses per hour vs x uses per day vs x uses per week (the latter being more restrictive and costing less).

For your spear, 1d6 damage is about equivalent to a magic missile, so calculate a spear with a 1st level spell power and then discount it as you see appropriate for the extra damage only on a nat 20. I suppose whether that would 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30% or more depends on how often your player rolls natural 20's!
Well, since they mostly use my dice, I'm quite sure natural 20 comes up, in the long run, 5% of the times, which would make it quite restrictive.
You may also want to search Pandius.com for the wonderful PDF called Arcane Magic (http://pandius.com/arcane_magic.pdf) by Marco Dalmonte & Matteo Barnabè which adds numerous spells to the BECMI/RC and GAZ spell lists that correspond to the spells needed for many of the RC listed magic items. I think you will find the spell in this PDF that corresponds to what you would use to enchant a ring of spell storing or ring of memory.
Yes, that is a good source. I also use AD&D spells in a pinch, when BECMI doesn't have a corresponding one.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:36 am

Morfie wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am
I always used AD&D 2e Magic Encyclopedia's Vol 1 and 2.
Never had much use of ad-hoc created magic items but used the closest item as a guide when it did happen.
I tend to tweak magic items a lot, especially to create lesser ones tied to the campaign story.
But the problem remains even with standard magic items, such as the ring of memory or the ring of spell storing.

GP

Return to “Classic D&D”