[The Realm] Story Games: Dungeons & Dragons tape by Bob Sherman

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[The Realm] Story Games: Dungeons & Dragons tape by Bob Sherman

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:34 am

Moritz Mehlem laid down the gauntlet on Twitter and asked if anyone on The Piazza knows about this cassette tape:
Moritz Mehlem on Twitter wrote:
Chuo Dori on Twitter wrote:@Wizards_DnD @theGROGNARDfile
I found this curious item on ebay but found nothing about it online - look familiar?
Hi, @ThePiazzaForum - any ideas???
Here is what the page on eBay says about the tape:
turninator on eBay wrote:DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS CASSETTE - Story Games - Read By Bob Sherman - Read-Along

DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS STORY GAMES CASSETTE

Coming from the legendary Dungeons And Dragons franchise is this 30+ year old cassette which contains an Audio Book. Is it named Story Games? I’m not sure, but that’s what printed on the tape.

It is Read by Bob Sherman, and unfortunately doesn’t come with a cover. Mind you, I seem to remember having Star Wars stories on tape when I was younger, which came with a book and were just shrink-wrapped to a piece of printed cardboard. Maybe this is similar.

I've had a quick listen to the start and end, and it plays fine. It seems to be either a story from the legendary Cartoon Series from the 1980's, or something along those lines, as it has the cartoon music at the start and end.

This cassette was released in 1986 on the Tempo label, catalogue number TTS9937 and is in good condition.
Has anyone got this (or heard of it before)?

Is this actually a story about The Realm (from the D&D cartoon)? Or is it something else?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [The Realm] Story Games: Dungeons & Dragons tape by Bob Sherman

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:44 pm

Interesting find.

The first thing I thought about was this casette, but that one is set in Greyhawk and looks like it might be something different?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:07 am

Looks like Chuo Dori managed to confirm that the characters on Story Games are the same ones from the D&D Cartoon!:
Chuo Dori on Twitter wrote:hi contacted the seller and they say that its the charactes from the cartoon series.
That makes this a new story set in The Realm!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:33 am

Well it can't be the audio for the missing last episode of the D&D Cartoon. Hack & Slash says that was called "Requiem".

And I've had a look at the The (Mostly) Complete TSR StockList version 1.2 over at The Acaeum, but that does not have a 9937 in the stock list numbers. (On the other hand, the fact that they only list 3 items between 9900 and 9999 means there are plenty of spots for odd TSR products to go.)

Return to “Other Worlds”