Solo Play Storm King’s Thunder Spoilers/no spoilers please

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Solo Play Storm King’s Thunder Spoilers/no spoilers please

Post by Coronoides » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 pm

I went back and forth about whether to post this to Forgotten Realms or here. In the end I decided an exploration of a set of solo gaming rules was more important to the topic than it being set in the Realms.

No spoiler in comment please! I am reading through the book for the first time as I play and my character explores.
But also Contains spoilers do not read this if you are playing Storm King’s Thunder or want to.

In this thread I use the Elminster’s Guide to Solo Adventuring (EGSA) from the DMs guild to play through Storm Kings Thunder by myself. How well does EGSA perform its promised function of allowing you to play any published 5e adventure solo?
So why play solo? Firstly, with work and life demands my group struggles to meet once a month. I need more RPG!. Second, I’m always the GM, I want to play for once. Playing through like this enables me to experience what looks to be a fun adventure myself and learn about it before using it at my table (one day maybe). It also is a source of lore about giants in the Realms which will inform my Ostoria project. Finally, it is playtesting for the Ostoria project in that my character will be a cloud giant. Here is a link to the sheet for Gymir Langskye a young wandering cloud giant noble.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5whr6uweufy8 ... 9.pdf?dl=0

Cloud giant solo.
My character’s background is deliberately designed to keep him in the dark despite being a giant.

Gymir Langskye’s Story.

Chapter 1 A Great Upheaval
(I am writing as I play this time. Full disclosure Gymir was created to be equal to a party of 5th levels according to the rules in Elminster’s Guide to Solo Adventuring (EGSA). This first chapter is designed for a part of 1st levels so he should have an easy time).
My family raised me within the elegant spires of our castle on a mountain distant from other giant steadings. The isolation of my family from other giants made my childhood a lonely one. We had a long tradition of gifting food from our gardens to the Small Folk of the valley below when crops failed. In a year of early frost this is how I met my first humans and how a lonely giant child struck up a friendship with a shepherd boy. From his tales I learned of the wider world beyond our mountain castle and when I came of age I set off to see it for myself with my griffon Sypd. For nearly two years we have wandered among the small folk ever pushing south towards their great cities and the marvels they hold. I had many adventures before the dreams and clouds called me home. Feverish dreams and shapes in the clouds stand as omens to me, the Ordening of races has been upset. One can only suppose our All-father god is displeased and has overturned the Ordening. What prompted such a action of disfavour? I do not know. So I abandoned my wandering among the Small Folk and trudged north to the Savage Frontier as the Small Folk call it, the lands where the last of Ostoria has withered. What is King Hekaton of the Storm Giants doing to quell the unrest?
After weeks of journeying I arrived at Waterdeep where my presence caused something of a stir even among its jaded cosmopolitan citizens. I was barred from the city until I convinced a curious noble, Lady Velrosa Nandar of my peaceful intentions. In return for her hospitality Lady Velrosa has asked me to try to meditate the long standing grudge between her subjects in Nightstone and the elves of Ardeep forest. Reluctantly, I leave behind the varied sights of Waterdeep. Following the last signpost I stride the last ten miles toward the settlement. I call Spyd to heel to prevent any unfortunate issues with the locals’ horses. Within a mile of the settlement I hear a bell which grows louder as the river girt settlement comes into view. Other than the bell there is no sign of life from the island village nor the keep on the adjacent island. The bridge connecting the two islands is damaged as is at least one tower of the keep. Has the simmering dispute unaccountably suddenly boiled into a battle? I decide to head for the bridge to the village and from there cautious make my way towards the keep.
The drawbridge is lowered but will the structure hold my mass? (Page 2 of Elminster’s Guide to Solo Adventuring (EGSA) uses a simple 50/50 dice roll to deal with yes/no questions) Gingerly a start my way across the bridge which promptly collapses under my weight and I’m pounded into the cold river. The cold water comes up to my navel (15ft deep on the map). Spyd of coarse flits up and then sellers on the opposite bank. The banks of the river are steep. Under the watchful eyes of my griffon I hoist myself up thoroughly muddying one of my sets of fine yet sturdy clothes. Where is everyone? Standing up I peer at the top of the defensive towers which are level with my shoulders, no-one. It is then I notice the stones and the worgs. Great boulders are strewn about the village and at least one has smashed in part of a home. This looks like a giant attack! I should not has dawdled when the omens began. The pair of worgs feasting on the corpse of a dog in the village square lead me to suspect brutal hill giants who sometimes raid villages but rarely this far south. The Worgs obviously taken by bloodlust bound forward to attack. I sharply call Spyd to heel, the griffon is not as sturdy as I.
Combat mode the worgs are 90ft away.
Initiative order
Gyumri 15
Worg B 13
Spyd 11
Worg A 6
Round 1: I reach into sack and heft my first boulder. I could make the throw but instead wait for them to come closer where my aim will be true (held action). The first worg sprints forward and is soon close enough for my liking. I let the boulder fly. I grin rather pleased with myself as the boulder strikes the worg dead on the skull (critical 47 damage) crushing its head to pulp but the second worg is already sprinting momentum and frenzy driving it passed its fallen pack-mate. Spyd rumbles disappointment but stays. The bell tolls.
Round 2: The worg is fast closing but I heft and hurl another rock. Under pressure it is not my best throw but it strikes bruising the worg but the sturdy beast drives on (19 damage, 5 hits left) and is soon leaping to attack with slathering jaws. I deftly step aside. Spyd bites at the worg and misses. The bell tolls on.
Round 3: Drawing Frost Claw my sword carved from a white dragon’s talon I step then cleave down (21 to hit, 10 damage very low roll). I only graze the dread-wolf but with the crushed ribs from my stone it is enough to down the monster. I dispatch the two and stride forward to collect my rocks.
End combat.
(I feel that Gymir would notice the rocks are to big for the Hill Giants he suspects are behind the attacks. Following the exploration chart in EGSA I determine the perception check to be DC5, I roll 9). The stones littering the village are as big as my own, far too large for hill giants to use comfortably. A larger breed closer my own stature perhaps fog giants or a immoral band of my own people. It wouldn’t be the work of noble and reclusive storm giants.

What I know.
To help keep things straight EGSA suggests you keep a list of information your character knows.

I have been away more than a year
I sense the Ordening of the Giant sub-races has been upset.
I know about Hekaton and his previous efforts to put down unrest among the giants and of Queen Neri’s treating with the Small Folk.
Nightstone was attacked by giants of about my size.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: Solo Play Storm King’s Thunder Spoilers/no spoilers please

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Leaving Spyd to eat some of the dead worg I stride over to the temple with its tolling bell, perhaps someone is within tolling the bell to attract help. I cannot see through the timber temples windows, they are stained glass. I get on my knees pushes the door open and peers in. Inside is a rustic temple to the gods of humans. No one is on the pews or pulpit. A door at the back of the room is unreachable without lying down and slithering sideways through the front-doorway. “Hello” I call just loud enough to be heard over the bell. No answer. Standing up I strides around to the exposed bell in the steeple which is head high to the cloud giant. ( the map has a nifty side view of the village. I gently pinch the bronze bell still and the bell stops ringing. (Perception check: EGSA indicates DC20 to hear the goblins, Gymir fails, I assume the goblins seeing the giant hand think better of running out to attack). “Hello, I wont hurt you. I’m here to help your village” I call down the steeple in soothing tones, but again no reply. Assuming that villagers are hiding within after a giant attack and not inclined to trust a giant right now I shrug and moves away south towards the broken bridge to the keep and calling Spyd to heel as he passes the griffon in the square. I note the hole in the centre of the square, perhaps there was a statue here and the giant raiders took it as an ornament.
The wooden bridge was also a ramp leading to the top of the keep’s motte. Though the gap is only 15 ft landing on the higher section could be tricky. Also what if like the drawbridge this structure will not bare my wieght? Nothing for it but to try. Taking a run up I pound toward the bridge spyd gliding behind in my slipstream. The first few strides up the ramp I feel like I’m going to make it and then my side of the ramp collapses and I fall again into the freezing river. (rolling a d6 I discover the bridge wont hold, does it break straight away or after I have climbed the ramp? After. I fall 20ft in 15ft of water ). Nothing to do now but climb the island motte. I figure the local reeve and his family would have hold up inside the fortified keep.( having climbed up a few slippery river banks I rate my chances less than 50/50 and begin to work down the flowchart in EGSA. My backstory is I’m a giant, that’s gotta help. I’m going to call this an acrobatics check since balance is the key on the slippery slope, DEX is positive. Final DC =10. Roll a 1). I try desperately to scramble up the muddy slope but only succeed in generating clucking amusement from Spyd who is perched on the remaining bridge above. ( under ESGA rules I can’t try the same thing again, something has to be different, sod ). I stand in the navel deep cold water and look about. Ah ha! The pylons of the remaining bridge are an arms length (10ft) apart perhaps I can use my strength to drag and kick myself up the slope on my belly. Hesitating at the thought of the mud on my fine clothes I then start up. ( Again ESGA suggests DC10, roll 15+athletics 5=20! Yay. ). Eventually, I heave myself over the edge of the slope onto the level top of the motte. In front of me is the gatehouse and Spyd cocking his bird head in amusement. “Yes, very funny”. I get on my hands and knees and push on the gates. They are not barred. Looking though I can see another giant’s boulder in the grass before the keep. Given the struggle I had getting up here how the hells did a giant get up here to toss that boulder? Clearly there is something I’m missing, but what? Atop the keep the pennant of the Nandar line, a fox on purple, still snaps in the breeze. I take this as a good sign, crawl on all fours through the gatehouse and into the bailey. The keep has no widows but areas are damaged by hurled boulders. Spyd watching from the roof I cautiously circle the keep. I find two dead human guards and two broken regions where I could walk in with stooped shoulders ( the ceilings within the keep are 20ft tall ). I explore the broken north west tower first. I find a (relatively) tiny kitchen mostly buried under the rubble. I grimace as Spyd swollows a dirty cold roast chicken then withdraw and stride around to the broken south east tower. Striding in I am surprised to see 4 guards standing over the body of my patron Lady Velrosa Nandar, she must have ridden like the wind to beat me here only to be struck dead. The guards whirl around and ready their spears. (given what I know wearing my referee’s hat there is a good chance the guards will attack! Better roll initiative to see if I get a chance to talk them down.
Guard C 16
Guard A 14
Guard D 14
Spyd 11
Guard B 11
Gymir 8
Err, nup. Bring on the custard.
Round 1

Guard C charges to attack with his spear. Roll natural 1. And he is unbalanced by the loose mortar and stones of the ruined tower.
“For Nandar” cries guard A and charges natural 20! 4 damage to my ankle.
Not to be outdone his fellow shouts “The Fox!” And runs in rolls a 4 and misses.
Things are going from bad to worse as Spyd seeing his master under attack pounces forward intend on rending guard A into bloody shreds! The beak of the griffon scrapes against the mail of the guard leaving him unharmed but the talons of Spyd find flesh and tear 10 damage, the guard staggers from the wound but remains conscious. Small blessings. Memnor the trickster jests with my life today!
Guard B sprints into to aid his fellow but his spear is wide.
Finally, I recover my wits “Damn it” I cry in exasperated Common “Lady Nandar sent me here to help talk with the elves, I’m friendly”. As I’m speaking I draw and drop my sword ‘Frost Claw’ to the ground. ( Persuasion roll time. I feel its worth breaking down the DC determination. Given what I know about the guards’ recent experiences looking at page 7 of EGSA I choose ‘not viewed favourably’ and directed to “Is there anything in your possession, recent events, or backstory that might help?” Let’s see possession: not really, recent events: well my dropped sword, Backstory: Position of Privilege feature and my recent dealings with their employer in Waterdeep. So a firm yes to that question. Next question is about ability scores. The relevant core ability score is Charisma and positive so that’s a yes. Final DC10. Wish me luck! And roll…a 6, + persuasion 6 =12 made it!)
End combat.
The guards as one hesitate, except the ragged screaming one. “Spyd, Down!” I command. (Animal handling according to the flowchart DC5, roll 2, +5 animal handling). Reluctantly, the griffon drops to lie on the rubble.
I pull out my healing potion. “Here a few gulps of this and you companion will be as new” ( uses 3 of the 12 1d4+1 ‘gulps’”).
“Lady Velrosa, told us to expect a noble cloud giant” ventures on of the guards.
“Tell me what happened here lady.”
“Alara, lord. Excuse our anger but you are not the first cloud giant in these parts. Our village and keep was bombarded with boulders dropped from a castle floating in the sky on a cloud. Lady Nandar and everyone in the keep was cut off from the village when a boulder broke the bridge. A stone came through, the ceiling fell in on our lady, she died that was nothing for it.”
“Sad news indeed, she was gracious to me in the capital. What about the villagers without the guard or keep to protect them?” I ask concerned.
“Likely they fled to the bat caves, there were some guards in the village to protect their escape.”
“It sounds like cloud giants, high in the Ordening too if they had an ancient keep of Ostoria”
The young woman looks puzzled for a second then “ooh the cloud castle. Anyway after we saw the villages flee pale giants, like yourself, came down from the castle and took the Nightstone.”
“The what?” I ask
“A big black stone obelisk old as the hills. Was here when the village was founded. No-one knows more than that.” Replies Alara.
I lift a stone. “I can easily build a cairn to keep the wild birds away while until there is time for a proper burial. After that we should check on the villagers at the caves. Someone also seems to have taken sanctuary in the temple too, perhaps you could reassure them I’m here to help”.

What I know.
I know about Hekaton and his previous efforts to put down unrest among the giants and of Queen Neri’s treating with the Small Folk.
Nightstone was attacked by high status cloud giants
They took the mysterious ‘Night Stone’
The villagers and some guards are likely in the bat caves.
Someone is in the temple, I assume it is scared villagers.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:59 am

Coronoides wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 pm
Second, I’m always the GM, I want to play for once. Playing through like this enables me to experience what looks to be a fun adventure myself and learn about it before using it at my table (one day maybe).
Woah! Of course, if you read the book, you can't do solo play with it, afterwards, without already knowing stuff!

I guess you could buy adventures for solo play and put them into a queue, and then move them over to your regular gaming collection afterwards.
Coronoides wrote:
It also is a source of lore about giants in the Realms which will inform my Ostoria project. Finally, it is playtesting for the Ostoria project in that my character will be a cloud giant. Here is a link to the sheet for Gymir Langskye a young wandering cloud giant noble.
I never thought of giant PCs playing Storm King's Thunder. This is probably going to have an interesting impact on parts of the story. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:59 am
Coronoides wrote:
Second, I’m always the GM, I want to play for once. Playing through like this enables me to experience what looks to be a fun adventure myself and learn about it before using it at my table (one day maybe).
Woah! Of course, if you read the book, you can't do solo play with it, afterwards, without already knowing stuff!

I guess you could buy adventures for solo play and put them into a queue, and then move them over to your regular gaming collection afterwards.
Coronoides wrote:
It also is a source of lore about giants in the Realms which will inform my Ostoria project. Finally, it is playtesting for the Ostoria project in that my character will be a cloud giant. Here is a link to the sheet for Gymir Langskye a young wandering cloud giant noble.
I never thought of giant PCs playing Storm King's Thunder. This is probably going to have an interesting impact on parts of the story. :)
Yes Even after a couple of sessions I think this might be my preferred way to familiarise myself with an adventure. From now on I will solo many promising adventures first. This is especially good since getting through a campaign when my group meets once a month can take forever.

As for the effect of my giant PC, I have already had one mis-understanding that led to drawn weapons. I'm looking forward to seeing how the interaction with other cloud giants play out in particular. How will my torn motives between the good of my own people and the greater good play out? Can't wait to find out.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:49 am

As I work I ask “Alara, is there anyone else in the keep? We should not leave them behind”
“No my lord, ther is no one else” Alara replies and between the five of use we quickly build the cairn. This done I lead the guards to around to the gatehouse and through. “I’ll slide down first the rest of you follow once I’m standing in the river. I will lift you safely across” Figuring my clothes are muddy aleady I slide down the motte. Once I’m standing in the cold water the guards gingerly start down one by one. One by one they lose their balance and slide down the slope I catch them and lift them to the far bank. Spyd flits over and watches as I try to scramble up the pylons ( DC10 as before roll 19 +1 acrobatics made it!) and over the edge of the bank. I note the temple bell remains quiet. ( I’m assuming having seen a cloud giant ‘return’ the two goblins have run off .
Looking right at the smashed cottage I suggest “let’s check the homes to be sure everyone made it out safe.” I stride over to the cottage whistling spyd to take to the air as I do so. 4H. I crouch down and peer in where the boulder has crushed the walls while the guards search inside. A guard gasps “what is it Torem?” asks Alara rushing over. “The elders Xelbrin, dead.” Another guard rushes over startlinmg a hidden tressym. The little winged cat flits out a smashed window and back into hiding. “It’s alright” calls Alara softly “come here kitty” (Animal handling for the guard running through the social interaction chart I get DC 20. Alara rolls a 20!). Reluctantly the tressym emerges and flits over to Alara who strokes the little pet’s fur. While Alara comforts the mourning pet we build a rough cairn of stones and timbers from the house.
I decide to be systematic so no-one is left for the crows. I will work anticlockwise around the village and have the guards search each building. Next is a guard tower (2E). The door is ajar perhaps left open when the guards fled, a good sign. Alara leads the guards in and soon raises a cry “Goblins !”.
Combat roll for initiative. Lucky for the goblins they are in the tower where I can’t get them.
Guard C 21
Torem 14
Goblin A 12
Guard D 12
Spyd 10
Alara 6
Goblin B 3
Gymir 2

Round 1. Guard C charges with her spear but the goblin steps nimbly aside then slashes Alara (6 damage). There is little room to fight within so guards Torem flanks the door ready to spear any goblin that runs out. Spyd notices the sounds of battle and dives down to land. In the tower Alara stabs and misses. Guard D takes the other side of the door and waits. The second goblin slashes at Alara scoring a bloody gash (4 damage, Alra is on 1hp!). Crouching down and seeing Alara bloodied I bark an order “get out Spyd can take them, Spyd! Blood!” (Does the griffin behave correctly? The griffon is bonded to me but sees no need to help my wisdom modifier is positive so DC10 I roll 9 for a total 14).
Round 2. Guard C disengages and backs out of the tower to my side. Torem waits spear ready. Goblin A slashes at Alara and misses. Guard D waits spear ready. Spyd barges past the guard and squuezes into the tower. At a disadvantage in the tight crowded room the griffon attacks beak and claw and scores a rake with his claws (10 damage). The goblin collapses in a bloody heap. Alara, wary of the griffon and bleeding, retreats to my side. Scared for his life the nimble goblin monkeys up the ladder to the roof and hides.( goblin nimble escape, do I spot the goblin? I’m crouching to peer in the door not standing so I can see the roof so no.). I draw my sword ready in case the goblin miraculously gets past the griffon and two guards flanking the door ( held action). What are goblins doing here? I wonder.
Round 3. We all wait outside for the goblin to run out. Alara whincing remarks “Any second now, like sending a ferret into a rat ‘ole my lord.” Spyd circles above ( under EGSA no retried until something changes). “Indeed!” I rumble. Spyd lets out a screech of frustration and barrels through the door spreads his wings and wheels around over the tower ( doe he spot the goblin crounch behind crenulations and a guard’s chair? Goblin stealth check 19. Spyd perception check 15) not seeing the goblin Spyd circles looking. ( is there a window or other way out? D6 and follow EGSA No). “He must be on the roof lord, there’s no other way out.” On the roof under the chair the goblin pants scimitar ready in case he is discovered ( ready action). I get to my feet and stride over to the tower to peer at the roof ( Perception check to beat the goblins 19, total 13, nup ) “Are you sure? I can’t see him”.
Round 4. Guard C moves into the tower spear ready and searches for a few seconds finding nothing. Torem follows and also searches “has to be here somewhere”. Guard D waits ready by the door. Alara calls “He has to be there, he can’t have gotten away look around” aid another action.Sweat drips of the frightened goblins brow under the chair. He holds his scimitar in a white knuckle grip. (Ok, is there anything else up there besides the chair? 6 yes ). I poke the junk dumped here by generations of complacent with Frost Claw my blade (Investigate with advantage roll 19 and 6, use the 19, total 20. “found the blighter!” I call as my sword topples the chair the goblin spings up slashing at my wrist and hits (3 damage). “That smarts!”.
Round 5.
Hearing my yell guard C rushes up the ladder and spears the goblin but does little more than a scratch to the scared creature (2 damage). Torem is not far behind but his spear glances off the goblin’s dirty armour. Guard d moved to block the door out. Spyd swoops down pecking and clawing but misses and lands on the crowded roof. Bleeding Alara hangs back. The goblins scimitar rattles of Guard C’s mail. Frustrated I stab with Frost Claw trying to hit the goblin crowded by my allies and miss (natural 1! ( OOC I’m yelling hurry up and die already you little shit!))
Round 6. Guard C and Torem flank the goblin and attack but still miss. Spyd also misses. Crying a blessing to his trickster god the goblin attacks guard C and hits 5 damage. I stab again and just catch the little monster (15 to hit) but behead him none-the-less (22 damage)
(Really, 6 rounds to kill a goblin, that’s embarrassing!).
I pass my healing potion to my bleeding allies. Soon they are restored to full health but the health potion is ¾ gone (9 of 12 1d4+1 does used so far). I decide to ignore the cut on my wrist and cut ankle, my small companions may need the potion if there are more goblins about. That and the human-sized one I also carry.
“What are goblins doing here?” I ask.
“The hills are riddled with bands of them” replies the gruff bearded Torem “it’s why we have the wall. I’m guessing a scout saw the giant attack and they decided to take the chance for a little looting.”
“Bands of them?”
“Aye”
“We’d best hurry over to aid whomever is in the temple” The others nod and we march directly there. The guards search the temple and find no-one. They do report gonblin prints though including lots around the bell chord. (DC10 Investigation check). Well that explains the bell-tolling I suppose. We return to our systematic search.

“What are those goblins doing in the yard of the Nesper place?” whispers Alara.
“Who knows what they are thinkin’ “ grumbles Torem under his breath “goblins are stupid”
I look down and see two goblins who have just run out of the cottage into the yard (4G) presumably after looting the house. They don’t see me though because they are weaing pumpkins on their heads. We watch for a few moments as they squeal, chase each other and trip over pumpkin vines in the yard. I heft a rock and point to Torem’s spear. Torem whispers “Good thinkin’, lootin’ is only a hanging offtence but that’s to good for these vermin”.
I hold up fingers for a count down 1… 2… 3.
4 spears, and a boulder follwed by an excitable griffon hurtle toward the goblins.
attacks with advantage because the pumpkin wearing goblins can’t see .
A goblins gleeful laughter is cut short with a cruch and squelch noise as he dies instantly under a huge boulder. A spear bounces of the boulder. Randomly the other three guards had aimed for the other goblin One spear hits one misses and the third brings the goblin down.
“idiots” mocks Torem as we stride over to collect our weapons. We put the goblins bags of loot hidden under a bed within for the Nesters when they return and move on.
The trading post (9) has the blue shield with lion symbol of the Lionshield Coster trading hose nailed to it. Again the guards go in. “Goblin!” yells Alara.

What I know.
Nightstone was attacked by high status cloud giants
They took the mysterious ‘Night Stone’
The villagers and some guards are likely in the bat caves.
Goblins rang the temple bell
There are goblin looters about. Goblins are really stupid.

OK I’m gonna take a break.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Some thoughts from the tram to work. So far the systems provided by EGSA provide a smoothe running way to resolve most questions you would usually rely on a DM for. You do need self discipline to state what your intentions are before reading the next entry. This means using only adventures you have not read yet. I think my move of writing as I play helps keep everything straight and records the narrative you are constructing as you play. It saves time if you are going to report to a forum.
One issue I do have is Q3 of the flowcharts to determine DC while easy to adjudicate effectively changes a -1 ability scoremodifier to -6! ( or a +1 to a +6). I’m tinkering with splitting Q2 about circumstances and year into two to solve this.
I used the second method to balance a single PC for an adventure meant for a party. However I can’t comment on this yet as my PC is equivalent to a 5th Level party and the first chapter of the adventure is designed to be started by a 1st Level party.
Ok here’s my stop off to work

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:30 pm

“Careful” I call out “if you get cut come out, no point dying fighting these vermin”.
Not entirely sure I can trust Spyd enough to send him in and unable to get within myself I leave the guards to deal with the goblins.
initiative
Guard C 21
Alara 20
Guard D 17
Goblin 15
Spyd 8
Gymir 4
Torem 4
Round 1:
Guard C stabs at the goblin and misses. Alara steps around to flank the lone goblin and stabs but fails to penetrate the looter’s leather armour. Guard D stabs and hits leaving a bleeding wound (3 damage, goblin has 4hp left). The goblin nimbly escapes the guards reach and backs into a corner of the room so it can’t be flanked. Spyd watches the door intently (held action). I stroke the feathers of his head “Calm, goblin’s only, not our friends” the griffon can’t understand the words but I hope they focus him enough that he does not attack any guards that emerge (I’ll make an animal handling roll if a guard runs out). Torem moves over and attacks the goblin and hits (5 damage, the goblin dies) spearing the looter through the heart.
The sounds of melee are short lived. A few quiet moments later the guards casually walk out. “We saw to them looters!” Alara declares with enthusiasm.
“we had him cornered soon enough…” Torem begins and describes the brief fight.
I let them bask a little in their victory before suggesting “That was the store, perhaps if I leave payment we can take torches and lanterns for the cave?”.
“Good idea” replies Alara as she head back into the store to look.
Following the instructions in the adventure I look to see what we can find. I told them to look for light so let’s just do that.
1 candle (1cp), 2 lamps (1gp), 4 bullseye lanterns (40gp), 4 hooded lanterns (20gp), 1 flask of oil (1sp), 3 tinderboxes (1gp 5sp), 4 torches (4cp). Total price 62gp 6 sp, 5cp. Allowing for a tip I leave 63gp instructing Torem to hide it within the store. I’ve always assumed that lanterns come with a full tank so I’ll do myself the same courtesy here.
Who has what?
Alara: candle, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch
Torem: 2 lamps, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch
Guard C: bullseye lantern, spare flask of oil, torch
Guard D: bullseye lantern, Tinderbox, torch.
Gymir: 4 hooded lanterns.

We skirt the yard behind the store and head to another villager’s cottage (4F). This one is shuttered and locked tight with no sign of forced entry. Odd glyph’s in an unknown language hint at the potential for magical protections too. Calling out and getting no reply we move on.
The next home is smaller and shorter 4E. A rock has crushed part of it. The guards venture in but soon report that the Halflings that lived there are not present.
The next home shares a yard with the general store (4D). The yard is planted with potatoes and turnips. In the centre of the yard is a boulder legs stick out from under it. “Nestor!” cries Alara. We comfort the young guard and with my help wrap the body in a blanket from the house and burry him in a temporary grave in the yard. My huge hands easily digging a good deep grave in the soft rich soil.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 am

Next on our grim tour is another watchtower (2D). This time I stand with Sypd in the south-west corner formed by the tower and the wall and watch peering over the top of the 20ft tower. In position I send the guards in again with the instruction to retreat if they get so much as a scratch. Soon there is the sound of battle from within.
Initiative
Guard C 18
Spyd 17
Goblin 17
Alara 14
Guard D 14
Gymir 7
Torem 3

Guard C stabs with her spear and misses. (Does Spyd stay to heel? Roll a social check for my animal handling. As discussed I’ll split Q2 to replace Q3
Q1. Does the character you want to interact with view you favourably?
Q2. Is there anything in your possession or any recent events that might help?
Q3. Is there anything in your backstory that might help?

A1. Yes, A2 Can’t think of anything solid so no, A3. Yes Spyd was raised by me from the egg we are besties. Final DC10, result 23.
). Outside Spyd tenses anticipating the order to attack. Within the goblin nimbly disengages and scampers up the ladder opens the hatch and springs onto the roof. She screems in terror when she sees me and begins to run for the river side wall sword ready and some silver trinket hanging from her other hand. (can’t jump this round as is out of movement, so hold action). Alara climbs the ladder and closes on the goblin who deft swings before Alara can bring her spear to bare but misses. Alara’s spear fails to penetrate the boiled leather chest plate of the goblin. “Give that back!” Alara yells enraged. Another guard joins Alra on the roof, stabs, and hits (2 damage). “Spyd. Blood!” I call. As I run around to the northwest corner of the tower I see Spyd Fly up and land between the two guards in front of the goblin (held action). Once next to the terrified goblin I bring my fist down like a hammer but the goblin nimbly steps aside ( I do 10 bludgeoning to the floor I think a stone tower could take that. On the map the roof is stone grey.). Torem arrives but can’t get past the others to the cornered goblin but stands ready blocking the trap-door down.
Round 2. Guard C stabs and misses. Spyd tries to rend the goblin with beak and claw. Spyd lunges and bites the goblins head clean off and swallows. Alara collects the silver locket from the goblins hand.
(who has what up date:
Alara: candle, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch, Taela Summerhawk’s locket.
Torem: 2 lamps, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch
Guard C: bullseye lantern, spare flask of oil, torch.
)
The next building is quite large perhaps a barn. There is a hole where a boulder has smahed through the wooden roof. Perhaps I could accompany the guards within this time? As I had hoped the building has a barn’s double door. I indicate to the guards to wait outside and hunch down to squeeze through the 10ft wide opening. Once inside I can stand full height (just) and look around there are some very scared horses in stalls below a U-shaped hay loft. ( I’m going to assume that Derp the goblin isn’t suicidal and seeing an armed cloud giant decides to stay hidden rather than shoot his bow. Derp’s Stealth roll 17, my passive perception 15. I don’t spot him right away.). Crouching down I hum softly and try to calm the horses ( I score no to all questions DC25, I need to roll at 20, nah, result 14. I think given the presence of goblins in the village I’d at least look about to see if any where in here. Nothing really has changed for perception so) I poke about with Frost Claw to see if there are any goblins about ( roll 1+1=2 investigation). “All clear, come in” I call. The guards file in. “Lord, you’re spooking the horses!” exclaims Alara.
“Let’s go outside.” We step out. “Whose horses are those?” I ask.
“The Nandars bought them for us to use. ” explains Torem.
“You will return after we have finished our search and the horses have had time to calm down. By riding you can keep up with me.”
We leave and round the corner of the stable. Ahead I can see crushed home backing onto the stable yard. In the yard two goblins are distracted by chasing chickens. When my huge form rounds the corner they gasp.
Initiative
Gymir 19
Guard C 17
Spyd 13
Alara 13
Guard D 13
Goblin B 6
Goblin A 6
Torem 3
)
Round 1. I stride forward casually stepping over the ankle high fence of the yard then heft the nearest rock and drop it on a goblin but the vermin scrambles away unharmed. “Spyd, Blood!” Guard C dashes around vaults into the yard and runs over to flank a goblin. Hearing the command to attack Spyd takes to the air and lands next to the nearest goblin in a flurry of feathers and claws. His beak scrapes against the goblins leather armour and he fails to claw the looter as well. Alara vaults the fence dashes along the stable wall behind the griffon then across the yard to arrive panting by the second goblin. Guard D jogs over and takes up position next to Spyd. ( a lot of dash actions here). The goblin by Alara slashes with its scimitar drawing blood ( 4 damage, Alara on 7hp). The nimble goblin then disengages and runs around behind the smashed cottage. His companion slashes at Guard D but misses then skips beyond reach, runs, and spryly vaults the low fence. Torem runs, vaults the fence and goes to join the others. Seeing the fleeing goblin he gives chase but fails to close with the little monster.
Round 2. I don’t have line of sight to either of the goblins they are behind a remaining wall of the smashed cottage so I lope around to easily cut them off. I draw Frost Claw and the afternoon sun glints off the ivory blade as I bring the enchanted weapon down ( 28 to hit, 12 slashing damage) slicing the goblin neatly in two from crown to groin. The goblin drops his loot-sack and a terrified chicken emerges and flutters off. Guard C sprints around gets ahead of Torem and strikes the goblin through the fence with her spear ( attack with disadvantage) but misses. Spyd leaps up and flies over the battle to land between me and the goblin who is now flanked by the griffon and a guard. ( attacks with advantage. Beak hits 5 damage, goblin on 2hp, claw hits with critical 15 damage = shredded goblin). The goblin is shredded by beak and claw.
(One cool thing in this fight was as a giant I could move the boulders on the map about. Remember I am overpowered for this first chapter.)
After the fight the guards search the goblins and the house. Within they find the crushed body of a middle aged woman. “So many of us dead.” Sighs Torem sadly. "I'm sorry Torem, I'm afraid there are good and bad among my people" I respond. We build a cairn over body using the rubble of the cottage and move on.
(who has what update.
Alara: candle, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch, Taela Summerhawk’s locket.
Torem: 2 lamps, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch, Semile’s Gold ring, 5cp.
Guard C: bullseye lantern, spare flask of oil, torch.
)
Last edited by Coronoides on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 am

When you work through the flowcharts in EGSA each 'no' raises the DC by 5. One thing that bugs me is how the third question (about ability scores) in the EGSA flowcharts effectively changes a -1 ability score adjustment (from an 8 or 9) to a -6! Therefore I'm splitting the question 2s in two to create a replacement. for the social chart my questions are now.
Q1. Does the character you want to interact with view you favourably?
Q2. Is there anything in your possession or any recent events that might help?
Q3. Is there anything in your backstory that might help?

This solution also give story considerations more weight.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”