Dragonlance Sorcerers: A Look Back

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:55 pm

I wrote an article recently, looking back at a previous article on sorcerers I wrote over 10 years ago and seeing what changes have been made and what more needs to be done.

Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Dragonlance Sorcerers: A Look Back

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:28 pm

I've been thinking about Sorcerers (and the way they just appeared out of nowhere for 3rd Edition) for a while now. (I find the way that certain classes vanish or appear during changes to D&D editions a bit troublesome. I like things to stay the same or be refined. Classes that come from nowhere require work to get them to fit into old adventures that were never written for them.)

Having said that, the Sorcerer concept itself is sound. If I was running a Spelljammer or Planescape game it would be fairly simple to introduce them as "spellcasters that have come from another place". In Dragonlance, I think it's a bit harder. But the word "Sorcery" has been used in Dragonlance since the beginning. It's almost like Dragonlance was begging for this class to be invented. :lol:

I think they work better as magic users in places like Taladas (where the Wizards of High Sorcery are not established).

I also think they would work well in nomadic cultures (alongside classes like the Barbarian).

I could buy into people thinking that people who spontaniously develop the powers of the Sorcerer class as returned clerics of Krynn's gods (in the time between The Cataclysm and The War of the Lance). I could even buy into some people developing Sorcerer powers via sheer strength of will and mistaking that for receiving the power of the gods.

I think that if Sorcerers are used in Dragonlance, as a fairly radical alternative to Wizards, it allows you to sell up the idea that Sorcerers are dangerous.

Is the Sorcerer class actually more dangerous than the Wizard class? Probably not. But if you want to make the Wizards of High Sorcery believe that "Primal Sorcery" is super-dangerous, you can give out this class to some chaotic (if not evil) NPCs and have them blast the heck out of NPC commoners that get in their way.

Then you can also go the other way and have the Wizards of High Sorcery unfairly hunt down Sorcerers and attempt to press-gang them into joining their organisation.

I think that multiclassing, between Sorcerer and Wizard could also be fun, in a Dragonlance game.

Imagine a 3rd level Sorcerer being hunted down, bullied into taking The Test and then forced to multiclass into a Wizard (with Wizards of High Sorcery keeping an eye on the Sorcerer to see if they are levelling up as a Sorcerer).

Imagine if you run a game when High Sorcery is starting to fail and you allow all Wizards to multiclass as Sorcerers to try to use magic without the Moons of Magic.

Or, what about if you created a new Prestige Class, that required a PC to know both Wizard Spells and Sorcery Spells? You could look back at the writings about Primal Sorcery and use book knowledge and magical instinct to unlock abilities that seem like magical superpowers to members of the WoHS. Muhahahah!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 am

I don't know enough about Dragonlance to have anything to add to the conversation, but I really enjoyed reading the post and Big Mac's follow-up. Thanks to you both!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Sorcerers in Dragonlance actually predate those from 3E. Dragonlance Sorcerers first appeared in the SAGA rules. From what I understand, Palin discovered Sorcery after the Chaos War when the Moons were no longer accessible to him. I think there is a phrase somewhere that this magic had always existed on Krynn, but it was rarely used.

Originally, I thought that this was the same magic that was used by Renegade Mages, but after having discussions about Renegades here on The Piazza in the past, I think I was wrong about this connection. I think it would have been especially interesting since I always liked connecting Wild Magic to Renegades, which again is not canonical. 5E does offer the possibility of connecting Sorcerers to Wild Magic however.

Both 3E and 5E do have links between Sorcerers and Dragons. Could it be that Sorcery grew in power due to the presence of the Dragon Lords?

Edit: I skimmed the article when you first posted it, but I cannot access the page now. It appears to be down. I wanted to connect my thoughts more to the article, but will have to do that later.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 pm
Both 3E and 5E do have links between Sorcerers and Dragons. Could it be that Sorcery grew in power due to the presence of the Dragon Lords?
4e featured dragon sorcery as well (sorcery made possible through a draconic bloodline). It was one of the original two sorcerer builds in the book where 4e began supporting the sorcerer class (PHB2).
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “Dragonlance”