[Modern AGE] Magus Mundi

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Kythkyn
Hobgoblin

[Modern AGE] Magus Mundi

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:29 am

What is Magus Mundi? Magus Mundi is a roleplaying game that uses Green Ronin’s Modern AGE system, with added content from the Fantasy AGE companion.

Magus Mundi is a game that takes place in a world close to our own, but slightly different. Through the looking glass, into an Earth of the 1990s where Mages and Magic exist alongside Monsters of Ancient Legend and Cryptids of Modern Lore. All existing just below the surface of a world that is about to have definitive proof that the arcane exists!

But to put a finer point on it, the game takes place just as the Player Characters are learning that there is a magical world just beneath the mundane. The PCs still have day jobs and obligations, family and friends. But they’ve just been thrust into a world they’ve only dreamed about.
Although the game is set in an Urban Fantasy version of Earth, Magus Mundi games are centered in the city of Caledonia, a fictional and deliberately ambiguously placed modern city somewhere in America (or possibly Canada).

The game will take place with the PCs starting as mundane people, unaware of a magical world (totes not cliché), when something happens and they find themselves awakened to the magical world around them, and thrust into a battle they never knew existed. But of course their mundane lives don't go away, so they have to balance their jobs, family and so on against their new abilities. They'll have a mentor, some mystical aid that will help them learn to control and use their new found powers in a war against probably Necromancers!

I'll be posting updates on the setting regularly, and you can look forward to house rules and actual play soon!

Also! Check out the custom character sheet here!
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Kythkyn
Hobgoblin

Re: [Modern AGE] Magus Mundi

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 am

Character Creation
Character creation follows the Modern AGE creation rules, save that stats use Option 2 (buying abilities 12 points). The default mode is Gritty, though Conviction Points are in use.

Conviction – Conviction starts and remains at 3, and is regained every session. The GM will sometimes award bonus temporary Conviction during play (but don’t count on it, I hear she’s a bitch). Additionally, Conviction Points may be used to automatically pass a Fatigue roll.

Background – A player may roll or choose. Additionally, a player may roll or choose one benefit from the background table. Their choice.

Profession – A player may again roll or choose their character’s Profession.

Magic
Aw yeah! A game called Magus Mundi is bound to have magic in it! Unfortunately for you, you begin play as a Mundane human. But worry not, you’ll get your cool powers soon!

While you don’t start with your magic, a little bit about what the world’s magic is like up front: although magic exists, it is rare. It is both extremely powerful, but somewhat limited. Your characters will gain access to more powers as they level, but the powers are contained along lines and not the kind of magic we see in a lot of TV or movies. Magic is also innate, and not learned through rote and study.

Your character will not begin with magic, but you as a player should know what to expect from the world, so that we’re all on the same page.

Kythkyn
Hobgoblin

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Magic and the Mundane World
Unlike many other games that mix magic and modernity, Magus Mundi has no law, no code, no mechanic against using your magic in view of mundane people. Individual Covens may have different bylaws, but there is no ruling council of mages, no backlash of reality, that stops a mage from using their amazing abilities in the open.

There are, however, other repercussions. Openly fighting a mage in public may have societal side effects, and guns are still guns. The world of Magus Mundi is on the brink of change. Soon, smart phones might make magic undeniably a reality. But we’re not there yet, the setting is still a few years off. And though there is no veil or reality bending mind control to make mundanes forget, never underestimate a human’s ability to rationalize away something they don’t want to admit. After all, there are people even now who think the earth is flat…

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 pm

At first I thought this was a new book! :lol: :lol:
May be you should add «campaign» in the title of the thread... but then its in the Homebrew World section. I should have looked at that.

Sounds awesome. Very Urban Arcana / Dark Matter.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Kythkyn
Hobgoblin

Post by Kythkyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm

It will be a new (fan made and free) book once I get the campaign started!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Sounds interesting. I have always liked this sort of Urban Fantasy type settings. Is there anything else that make this world different from say the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the world of the Witchcraft RPG or the Dresden Files? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Kythkyn
Hobgoblin

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm
Is there anything else that make this world different from say the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the world of the Witchcraft RPG or the Dresden Files? :)
Well, no one is a British child who goes to a wizards academy and does wacky hijinx :D

The theme is going to be different than Witchcraft (which is a fun game, but just not what I feel like running right now), wherein the players will belong to much smaller covens, and their magic is (seemingly) randomly dictated (at creation, anyway), and while they are just now (at the beginning of the game) thrust into a world of magic, they will still have mundane obligations like jobs and families. And, well, IDK about Dresden, because I've never read nor played any of it.

I think I can liken it a little closer in media to like The Last Witch Hunter, Secret Circle, the Craft

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Sounds like a fascinating world! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Kythkyn
Hobgoblin

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Calednoia

This is a WIP for the city where the game is taking place. My tools are Photoshop and swearing. It's obviously not done yet, but I thought it'd be fun to share the progress. Anyway, I am pretty stoked about the game, so expect more random info dumping :D

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:13 pm
Calednoia

This is a WIP for the city where the game is taking place. My tools are Photoshop and swearing. It's obviously not done yet, but I thought it'd be fun to share the progress. Anyway, I am pretty stoked about the game, so expect more random info dumping :D
Looks good
I'm surprised you are not using Illustrator for a vectorial map.
Its less of a pain and you can scale the file afterwards without loosing resolution.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Kythkyn
Hobgoblin

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 pm

I would if I had illustrator, believe me! Hopefully soon, because vectors would make this so much easier

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”