Isle of Dread GMG Edition - What does this mean for Mystara?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: Isle of Dread GMG Edition - What does this mean for Mystara?

Post by Khedrac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Moving on then, the central plateau has its own wandering monster table where the new version again suffers from missing monsters:
Old
2 - Cave Bears
3 - Wooly Rhino
7 - Antelope
9 - Mastadons
10 - Titanothere
New
2-3 - Cave Bears
7 - Animal herd (identical stats to antelope)
9 - Elephants, Prehistoric
10 - Triceratops
All others the same.

In the new module the encounter numbers continue starting at 25, in the old they restart at 1 - so 25 = 1; however the encounters all appear identical so on to Taboo Island where the Old numbers reset again and the new numbers continue from 30 (so now 30 = 1).

Room 3/32 - well, well, well - I was wrong when I said that the old module had the carved face above the passage - because the cut-away diagram on the map doesn't show the face I assumed that, but the descriptions are identical. This does explain why they removed the cut-away, but it was still very useful for how the passages connect.

Room 4/34 - funtionally identical except the old module has brownish mold that is "actually yellow mold"; the new verions has yellow mold covered in damp dust making it look brown.

2nd Level - guess what, the old module resets the numebrs to 1 again so now 1=38

Chamber 2/39
Old - 3 albino mako sharks, New - 2 giant crabs. The crabs are limited in movement range because they cannot swim (so they stay where they can reach creatures on the surface) and actually have above average hp!

Chamber 4/41
Old - 3 giant piranhas, New 3 crocodiles
These crocs are "normal" unlike the "large" ones in area 2 - so they have 2HD. When I say that the 6HD ones in area 2 had hp: 18, 15, 12 and 10 (I said they were below average) you will probably expect these to be even worse - wrong, these 2HD crocs have 21, 19 and 15 hp - 2 of them above maximum! They are a reasonable match for the piranha.

Level 3
The old mdoule is A to F, the new is 46 to 51.
The two modules are identical for these areas.

The sections for other adventrues and sample wandering parties and tibal leaders have the same content.

Then there are the new monster sections - how relevant are these as I think they are all eprinted in the Creature Catalogue?

Ooh - and finally in the New module is the pronunciation guide that was near the start of the old module - and they are not the same.
Well the pronunciation marks appear to attempt to be the same (both sets look to be hand annotated on the printed text) but the list of included words are different - "Grangeri" is in the New list only.

Any questions?
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 pm

This is great, Khedrac! You're going into much more detail than I could possibly do so in the same time frame! It'd take me a week or more just to type all of that out. :oops:

Yes! Keep going into the plateau! That is where I first noticed the differences in the two versions, because it was always one of my favorite areas. The other encounter areas didn't mean that much to me, and I've always thought of them as interchangeable. But the difference in the HD as well as the treasure? :?

I'd not noticed that. I wonder if that has anything to do with the reduced power-curve from Cook/Marsh's Expert and Mentzer's re-tooled Expert - since he had to re-plan the set to accommodate the rest of the books in the series? (Companion, Master, Immortal...)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 pm

In the main I think the re-tooling in power has been from having a limited selection of monsters to work with - when increasing this HD they have reduced the hp to make up for it. My guess with the piranha to crocs is that they forgot the crocs had fewer HD at the smaller size when calculating their hp - they're actually nearly identical to the piranha in stats.

The treasure is also almost identical - so why a couple of items get reduced I do not know - best guess would be typos.

I think the new adventure is an attempt at a faithful reproduction of the old adventure correcting most of the errors but having to cope with not all of the monsters being available (and not enough room to indluce them all as new monsters). They have kept the original authors as the authors, but credited a new editor and aritst (I cannot find art credits on the old adventure) - and the art is a lot better on in the new module.

If I have a complaint about the new module it is the fancy handwriting fot used for the letter/log introducing the characters to the adventure - it just makes it hard to read (though nthing like as bad as many 3.5 products). And before anyone says "it's realistic" my players tend to just cast comprehend languages which gives me the task of trying to read it again. (You know you are old when most of your gaming group pulls out their reading glasses and the most admired dice are the ones twice the size of the others for readability.)
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Return to “Mystara”