[13th Age] Supported Campaign Settings

Discuss Pelgrane Press's 13th Age rules here. Discussion of the Dragon Empire campaign setting can also be held here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[13th Age] Supported Campaign Settings

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:49 am

I've seen people ask what campaign settings support the 13th Age system in various social media channels. Big Mac suggested that I create a thread for the topic, so the information is all in one place. Feel free to add any settings that I missed to the comments below, and I'll get them added to the original post.
  • Dragon Empire - The default campaign setting found in the 13th Age core book and other Fire Opal Media/Pelgrane Press products.
  • Glorantha - The setting found in RuneQuest and HeroQuest can also be found in 13th Age Glorantha from Chaosium.
  • Midgard - Wolfgang Baur's world has grown over the years and is now the official setting of Kobold Press.
  • Parsantium - Rich Green created a city based on Arabian myth, then expanded the setting to cover the world nearby.
  • Amethyst - Chris Dias takes us to a future Earth where magic and technology collide.
  • Nocturne - Savaje Mojo supports this Gothic/dark fantasy setting that is reminiscent of Ravenloft.
  • Gods & Icons - John Marvin created his world around icons that can stand in for the Dragon Empire icons or can supplement them with more detail. He also filled in three pantheons and details on the planes in a world that isn't necessarily the Dragon Empire, but is compatible with it.
  • Dragon Kings - Tim Brown created this spiritual successor to Dark Sun.
  • Primeval Thule - This is a lost continent where Sword & Sorcery meets Cthulhu.
  • Deadly Delves - The world of Jon Brazer Enterprises' Deadly Delves adventures is supported for 13th Age, along with its racial and class supplements.
  • Dun Lodar - This dwarven location and its icons are detailed in the adventure Pristine City from Dastow Games.
  • Forstor Nagar - This frozen location is the site of a 13th Age adventure from Rite Publishing. They also offer several other 13th Age supplements.
  • Shattered Horizons - The campaign setting being written for 13th Age by Aaron Roudabush via his Patreon.
  • Karthun - Epic fantasy with a technological twist. 13th Age support was part of the Kickstarter, but the system-specific supplement hasn't been released yet.
  • Embers of the Forgotten Kingdom - This setting is inspired by the world of Dark Souls. 13th Age support was part of the Kickstarter, but the system-specific supplement hasn't been released yet.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [13th Age] Supported Campaign Settings

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks for that Tim.

I've not heard of some of these campaign settings. I'll have to have a look around to see what I can find out about them.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:39 pm
I've not heard of some of these campaign settings. I'll have to have a look around to see what I can find out about them.
Some aren't full-fledged settings, but are one or more adventure locations that could likely be placed into nearly any setting. It's a bit tough to categorize those. Maybe someday they'll expand to full settings of their own.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:05 pm

This is a great list! I had no idea there were so many settings produced for 13th Age :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 am

Havard wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:05 pm
This is a great list! I had no idea there were so many settings produced for 13th Age :)
That's the OGL for you. :)

I've been frustrated that some companies, that used to have tie-ins to Dungeons & Dragons, turned away from the OGL and put out closed systems that had much smaller fanbases.

Pelgrane Press have been clever, as they put out 13th Age at a time when companies were struggling to work with the GSL. For companies that have not necessarily wanted to do everything for Pathfinder RPG, 13th Age has given them a second (legally compatible) rules system, where they could dip a toe into the water or jump all the way in and make a book that fits in with the vibe.

The end of the 4th Edition Era...and the coming of the D&D Next Era...was an uncertain time, when publishers couldn't put out 5e content yet and didn't want to put out 4e content that might not sell. 13th Age was (and is) still going strong, so it was much less of a risk.

With Paizo slowly switching from 1st Edition Pathfinder to 2nd Edition Pathfinder, at the moment, this might also be a good time for 3PP who do Pathfinder RPG stuff to throw out a 13th Age conversion of their campaign setting books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:47 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 am
[With Paizo slowly switching from 1st Edition Pathfinder to 2nd Edition Pathfinder, at the moment, this might also be a good time for 3PP who do Pathfinder RPG stuff to throw out a 13th Age conversion of their campaign setting books.
I'd love to see that happen. The challenge is going to be that Pathfinder has such a massive fan base, compared to 13th Age. As much as I love 13th Age, I also have to acknowledge that it's a niche within the hobby. If unit sales are important, I've heard that it can be hard to justify a 13th Age release. They're often products that are driven by someone's love of the system, and are offered along with other systems' versions of the same product. The other sales can make the product profitable, while the 13th Age version can be produced with only a small additional investment.

Return to “13th Age”