Goodman Games 5E Module: Beneath the Keep

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

JamesMishler
Ogre

Goodman Games 5E Module: Beneath the Keep

Post by JamesMishler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:50 am

Goodman Games, most noted for their Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG and modules, also releases a series of 5E modules, the Fifth Edition Fantasy series.

Their latest, #14, is Beneath the Keep.

I suspect it originated as an added bit that they wanted to include in their Original Adventures Reincarnated #1: Into the Borderlands book containing modules B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: Keep on the Borderlands; heck, maybe it is in that book, I have not yet had the chance to pick it up.

But it very clearly is set in the Keep on the Borderlands -- plus the main villain's name is clearly Traldaran, and she is a were-rat, no less (not any spoilers here, she is depicted on the cover of the module).

So the author, Chris Doyle, in addition to the module tie-in, is clearly setting this up as an unofficial Mystara/Karameikos adventure.

It is a good module, but like most such 5E modules these days, very short compared to classic modules (eight rooms and a short series of natural tunnels, all told). But it works nicely for a 1st level 5E adventure, and it is clearly meant to be Mystara fanon, after a fashion.

I picked up the print version for $9.99, the PDF version is available here for only $6.99.

stebehil
Ogre

Re: Goodman Games 5E Module: Beneath the Keep

Post by stebehil » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:48 am

That sounds interesting, thanks for pointing it out. I will get "Into the Borderlands" soon-ish, I hope. Then I may be able to tell if this is included.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Yeah, thanks for letting us know about this one James!

Is the Wererat linked to the Rodimus clan perhaps? :)

Edit: Added this to my Later Edition Product List Thread

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:50 am

Would you mind expanding a bit on what makes it a good module? It sounds like it would likely be a single session, and I'd like to know more before making the investment. Thanks in advance!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 pm

stebehil wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:48 am
That sounds interesting, thanks for pointing it out. I will get "Into the Borderlands" soon-ish, I hope. Then I may be able to tell if this is included.
I'll tell you right now that anything to do with Beneath the Keep is not in "Into the Borderlands" book. :?

I'm running it as a campaign, and we are having a lot of fun with it. I downloaded the 12 pre-gens from Goodman Games site,a s I wanted to see if they used the names from the original B1 NPC/Pre-gen PC lists. They did not, unfortunately, but they did include a few names that were created for the AD&D2e Silver Anniversary edition of "Return to the Keep on the Borderlands", so that was okay.

It seems likely that Goodman Games is offering additional goodies to go with "Into the Borderlands". "Beneath the Keep" title alone reminds me that Hackmaster did a version of the keep, and that I should look into that for more details too.

The benefit of having so many different versions of B2 on hand (for me) is the ability to pick-and-choose which sub-plot & which NPCs to insert into the game as encounters or NPCs for hire. :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 pm
The benefit of having so many different versions of B2 on hand (for me) is the ability to pick-and-choose which sub-plot & which NPCs to insert into the game as encounters or NPCs for hire. :cool:
Do you have the version of the Caves of Chaos that was released with the D&D Next playtest? I don't know if there are any goodies in there to plunder, but I thought I'd mention it.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:37 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:56 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Do you have the version of the Caves of Chaos that was released with the D&D Next playtest? I don't know if there are any goodies in there to plunder, but I thought I'd mention it.
I don't think I do, but a quick download later, and I will have plundered it too! ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:24 am

My two posts on Beneath the Keep when it was released for Free RPG Day...
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=19183#p215412

I would say it was always intended to be separate, Goodman releases stuff for Free RPG Day to promote their bigger products.

For those interested in the two Caves of Chaos D&D Next playtest releases you can check out my link here where I described them...
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?72 ... st19970405

Those two Caves of Chaos pdfs can still probably be downloaded online somewhere if you search for it but I am not aware of a legal source.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:50 am
Would you mind expanding a bit on what makes it a good module? It sounds like it would likely be a single session, and I'd like to know more before making the investment. Thanks in advance!
Tim,

It is a nice, quick, done-in-one intro adventure. It would work with either a group of completely new-to-the-game players or as a brief intro to the adventures in the Keep with an experienced, yet starting a new campaign group.

It is not a multi-session module, nor anything that could be expanded into a campaign. In that regard, it and the other 5E modules from Goodman Games are very different from the old 3E DCC modules. (Although as mentioned elsewhere, it could be creatively used as an introduction into the wererat world, which features fairly prominently in Karameikos if you are running in Mystara).

I'd say that it is worth getting it if you need a quick how-to-play module or if you plan on running in the Keep on the Borderlands. As I have used the Keep as the starter for many a campaign (Mystara or otherwise), it was worth it for me.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:01 am

That's very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write that up for me!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:07 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
This article might be of interest to you: https://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2018 ... nd-4e.html

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:13 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:07 am
Dread Delgath wrote:
This article might be of interest to you: https://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2018 ... nd-4e.html
Thanks for the link, Tim. I missed the KotB season for 4e Encounters, except for the last couple sessions, I believe. It didn't feel or look like KotB at all though, but I'd love to get my hot little paws on the 4e version of KotB! ;)

Return to “Mystara”