Implications of Abeir in Current FR Timeline

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Implications of Abeir in Current FR Timeline

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:36 am

Here's a fun blog post that talks about the implications of Abeir in the current Forgotten Realms timeline. https://www.brandesstoddard.com/2018/09 ... ealmslore/
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Implications of Abeir in Current FR Timeline

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 am

For me, Laerakond never left back to Abeir. (yeah, Laerakond is the actual name of the continent; nerdy trivia of the day :P). Even if they brought Maztica again, I will find a way to make Laerakond remain in Toril. There is a lot of unused water, anyways. If I ever advance my Neverwinter campaign beyond 1482, that is.

My reluctance of letting Laerakond waste away is because is Ed Greenwood's. That makes it Realmsian by default in my book.

As for the article, its good to see people trying to rescue the good bits of 4e. The guy needs to investigate more, thought. I mean, I updated the Laerakond articles in the FR wiki with the same "complete-ness" I've used with my Nentir Vale's post here.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:34 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 am
My reluctance of letting Laerakond waste away is because is Ed Greenwood's. That makes it Realmsian by default in my book.
I didn't realize Ed Greenwood created this continent (or are you referring to the parallel version of Faerun?).

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:34 am
Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 am
I didn't realize Ed Greenwood created this continent (or are you referring to the parallel version of Faerun?).
I refer to both. The "canonical", Abeiran Laerakond was his only contribution to 4e's FRCG. He later expanded on the place in a pair of Dragon articles, talking about Gontal and Tarmalune.

He also created a version of Laerakond that exist on Toril since before the Spellplague for his home campaign. That was the time when he named the place Laerakond, as originally the place was only known by its Faerunian name (Returned Abeir). He later canonized the name in an Eyes on the Realms article (the one that talks about the magical gems of Rhauron).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:20 pm

I've actually been trying to go the other way and think of ways that 4th Edition Forgotten Realms material could be foreshadowed in the 3rd Edition or 2nd Edition Era. But some of that Harbinger of Doom stuff might help with that.
Last edited by Big Mac on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:20 pm
I've actually been trying to go the other way and think of ways that 4th Edition Forgotten Realms material could be foreshadowed in the 3rd Edition or 2nd Edition Era. But some of that Harbinger of Doom stuff might help with that.
That's a cool idea. I haven't heard anyone else talk about approaching it this way. Feel free to share some of your ideas if you get a moment.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”