Codex melitensis

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.

Which rules set

D&D 3.5
7%
D&D 5e
47%
Pathfinder
No votes
Other
13%
No rules just fluff
33%

Total votes: 15

Sock Puppet
Troll

Codex melitensis

Post by Sock Puppet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 am

So I just got hold of (another) book on maltese myths and legends. I think I have enough material to write an rpg supplement. But what rules set should I write for?
Last edited by Sock Puppet on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Codex melitensis

Post by shesheyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Considering that 3.5 is not the current D&D edition, that pathfinder is in the middle of changing editions I would go with 5e.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 pm

What's codex melitensis? I'm not versed in Latin.
I would propose writing a system-agnostic supplement, if you plan on focusing on just the lore, so everyone could benefit from such a book. Spares you the trouble into delving into mechanics and stuff. But then, 5e seems to be the most popular edition these times.
Personally, I'd love to see the titles of your books on Maltese myths and legends.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found some info on Codex Evangeliorum Melitensis, a religious illuminated book.
Last edited by zontoxira on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:23 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 pm
What's codex melitensis?
It means "the Maltese book".

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:37 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 pm
Considering that 3.5 is not the current D&D edition, that pathfinder is in the middle of changing editions I would go with 5e.
I would prefer 3rd Edition, but Shesheyan has the right of things.

Unless you are going to take a long time and want to make tweaks while Pathfinder Playtest updates come out, 5th Edition is the most stable active system of the options you have chosen.

Is it possible for you to internally flag up rules content and non-rules content? If you have a way to do that, you could write for 5e and then republish a second Pathfinder 2.0 version, later.

BTW: Is it Malta that has the street that was in the D&D picture by DAT? If it is, you might want to see if you can obtain a clean photograph of that street (from the same angle as the D&D picture) to use as the cover picture for your book.

You might also want to see if you can get some clean photographs of various fortifications around the island to use as internal art.

If you know anyone who is in the area, perhaps they can take some photographs to order. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm in the area right now. I have no idea what the photo you are referring to is though.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 pm

I expect to be here again in December too so could do more camera work then too.

Regarding rules content, it's not too much of a problem to separate it out to different paragraphs to better support multiple rules.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Sock Puppet wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:28 pm
I'm in the area right now. I have no idea what the photo you are referring to is though.
It's a D&D picture I meant - not a photo.

There is a post about it here. I can't recall what D&D product it was on or where the street was, but I remember someone saying that the street was a real one.

I think a few D&D nerds get selfies taken there (wherever it is) just so those in the know can see what they have done and everyone else fails to notice.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Sock Puppet wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 pm
I expect to be here again in December too so could do more camera work then too.
A bunch of photos of old stuff, that could fit in with mythology would be good. It might cut down on the need to purchase RPG art.
Sock Puppet wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 pm
Regarding rules content, it's not too much of a problem to separate it out to different paragraphs to better support multiple rules.
Hmm. So sidebars for different rules. :)

EDIT: Looks like that DAT picture was a street in Rhodes. Sorry for the red herring. Maybe you could just concentrate on the Game of Thrones stuff. ;)

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:14 pm

That looks like it could well be in Mdina. I took a few photos there, but not that specific scene.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:12 pm

"Emirikol the Chaotic" by DAT was one of the most iconic pictures in the AD&D1e DMG. :cool:

My vote goes for 5e, but only because its what I'm running right now - never have had played or run 3.5, and will most likely never even touch Pathfinder game system. ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:32 pm

My vote is "other", more specifically, making it system agnostic. That way I can use it with OD&D, AD&D, BRP, RoleMaster or any of my favored system (nothing wrong with the choice proposed, just not my systems of choice).
Last edited by Boneguard on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 am

Boneguard wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:32 pm
My vote is other, more specifically, making it system agnostic. That way I can use it with OD&D, AD&D, BRP, RoleMaster or any of my favored system (nothing wrong with the choice proposed, just not my systems if choice).
I second this notion.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:43 am

Boneguard wrote:
My vote is "other", more specifically, making it system agnostic. That way I can use it with OD&D, AD&D, BRP, RoleMaster or any of my favored system (nothing wrong with the choice proposed, just not my systems of choice).
I'm on this as well. :cool:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:01 am

Boneguard wrote:
Realistically, that is not an option. Or rather, its essentially the fluff but with no crunch for any system. That makes it inherently less useful for everyone.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:11 am

I just edited the survey, which reset the poll. Please revote.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:10 pm
EDIT: Looks like that DAT picture was a street in Rhodes. Sorry for the red herring. Maybe you could just concentrate on the Game of Thrones stuff. ;)
Aye, that's the Street of the Knights, main road towards the palace of the Grand Master. Rhodes was conquered by the Knights of St. John (Hospitallers), after they left the Holy Land for good. The Hospitallers would control the island of Rhodes for about 200 years before being besieged by the Ottomans, and leaving for Malta. It used to house the HQ of various chapters within the order, namely 'tongues' (so you had the Tongue of France, England, Aragon, Auvergne, Italy etc.).
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:29 pm

You are welcome to ignore my vote; I make it simply because I may be the only legitmate "3E grognard" on the planet, so I feel obligated to represent my tribe.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Sock Puppet wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 am
So I just got hold of (another) book on maltese myths and legends. I think I have enough material to write an rpg supplement. But what rules set should I write for?
I think the decision might be influenced by the nature of the myths and legends, and the tone of the work. In particular, it depends whether you plan to also use historical Malta as a setting, or just the myths. In the former case, two options could be Call of Cthulhu (which has a similar scheme as DM's Guild and is very suitable for low-key fantasy/horror in addition to the usual Lovecraftian horror) or Lamentations of the Flame Princess (which, AFAIU, is sometimes used for fantasy adventures set in the real world; other OSR games can be substituted, such as Labyrinth Lord, as all are pretty much compatible in terms of monster stats). In the latter case, probably 5e or Pathfinder 2e (as others have mentioned, Pathfinder 1 is probably not a great idea at this point).

Some other concerns you might want to weigh:
  • While PF2 may be more difficult to do, since the game is in playtest rather than complete, it would position your supplement as one of the first for that rules set, which could be useful (especially if the supplement is a Bestiary or similar book).
  • DM's Guild and the like have added costs, which you might want to take into account if your goal is to sell the supplement, but can also give you more visibility (as long as they are not too cluttered). Most OSRs rules set are OGL-based, and at least some allow compatible 3rd party products to use the name of the game at a much lower cost (but obviously have a smaller following).
  • Call of Cthulhu has a long tradition of regional supplements ("Secrets of... " and "Mysteries of... "). This, once more, is a double edged weapon, since it provides a framework where to fit, but also makes your work one of a large group, thus less distinctive.
Hope it helps,
GP

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:12 pm
"Emirikol the Chaotic" by DAT was one of the most iconic pictures in the AD&D1e DMG. :cool:

My vote goes for 5e, but only because its what I'm running right now - never have had played or run 3.5, and will most likely never even touch Pathfinder game system. ;)
I just tried to find it, and blindly opened my 1E DMG to it while watching the high school football (US) game that is on the telly. :lol:

page 193 - full-page illustration!

As for the supplement... I voted "generic" because I'd prefer 1E (or 2E if necessary), and know that you likely wouldn't do either of those... and none of the "3.XX/Path/5" would be very useful to me at all.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:56 am

I have a pantheon planned out. In vague terms...

Earth mother fertility agriculture goddess
Sky father weather seasons god
God of architecture and buildings
Goddess of knowledge wisdom and cures
God of the moon and restfulness

"evil" deities
Fiery Sun God of heat and dehydration
God of Sea storms and whirlpools
Death and taxes (no really, the traditional maltese death personification is also associated with taxes)

This covers all the pre roman maltese religion. However, I may need to add one or two more, to allow for the knights historical period. And I'm aware that the list does not cover all the points mentioned in 3.0 deities and demigods.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:35 am

Sock Puppet wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:01 am
Boneguard wrote:
Realistically, that is not an option. Or rather, its essentially the fluff but with no crunch for any system. That makes it inherently less useful for everyone.
My opinion is the same.

I'd prefer 3e, but 5e is more economically viable.

Sidebard to support other rules are one way to go...

...alternatively, you could put up Web Enhancement conversion documents to swap out the crunchy bits for rules for other editions.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:45 am

agathokles wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:43 pm
Sock Puppet wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 am
I think the decision might be influenced by the nature of the myths and legends, and the tone of the work. In particular, it depends whether you plan to also use historical Malta as a setting, or just the myths. In the former case, two options could be Call of Cthulhu (which has a similar scheme as DM's Guild and is very suitable for low-key fantasy/horror in addition to the usual Lovecraftian horror) or Lamentations of the Flame Princess (which, AFAIU, is sometimes used for fantasy adventures set in the real world; other OSR games can be substituted, such as Labyrinth Lord, as all are pretty much compatible in terms of monster stats). In the latter case, probably 5e or Pathfinder 2e (as others have mentioned, Pathfinder 1 is probably not a great idea at this point).

Some other concerns you might want to weigh:
  • While PF2 may be more difficult to do, since the game is in playtest rather than complete, it would position your supplement as one of the first for that rules set, which could be useful (especially if the supplement is a Bestiary or similar book).
  • DM's Guild and the like have added costs, which you might want to take into account if your goal is to sell the supplement, but can also give you more visibility (as long as they are not too cluttered). Most OSRs rules set are OGL-based, and at least some allow compatible 3rd party products to use the name of the game at a much lower cost (but obviously have a smaller following).
  • Call of Cthulhu has a long tradition of regional supplements ("Secrets of... " and "Mysteries of... "). This, once more, is a double edged weapon, since it provides a framework where to fit, but also makes your work one of a large group, thus less distinctive.
Hope it helps,
GP
GP makes an excellent point.

My personal opinion of DMs Guild is that...
  • ...if you want to publish Forgotten Realms material commercially it is the only legal way to go,
  • ...if you want to publish Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur or Maztica material commercially (or material for Arcane Age, The Horde or Malatra: The Living Jungle) it's the only legal way to go,
  • ...if you want to publish Ravenloft material commercially it is the only legal way to go,
  • ...if you want to publish Eberron material commercially it is the only legal way to go,
  • ...but if you want to publish anything else you are giving yourself a legal straight-jacket that is not necessary
The OGL authorises people to publish 5th Edition compatible material (and Pathfinder and 3.5 compatible material) via any means they want to use.

Stay away from DMs Guild (if you are not using a D&D campaign setting) and you can publish via DriveThru, RPG Now, Paizo, Open Gaming Store, CreateSpace (for Amazon worldwide PoD sales), Lulu and more.

Go with DMs Guild and you enter a golden-handcuffs deal where you are forbidden to ever sell that product anywhere else.

There is no Malta in Forgotten Realms or Eberron. I suppose you could create a Malta-themed domain for Ravenloft (if one does not already exist) but I think you could come back to that idea later, as I don't think it would be your primary market.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 am

Sock Puppet wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:56 am
I have a pantheon planned out. In vague terms...

Earth mother fertility agriculture goddess
Sky father weather seasons god
God of architecture and buildings
Goddess of knowledge wisdom and cures
God of the moon and restfulness
Sounds like you are having one moon in "Maltaspace". :twisted:
Sock Puppet wrote:
"evil" deities
Fiery Sun God of heat and dehydration
God of Sea storms and whirlpools
Death and taxes (no really, the traditional maltese death personification is also associated with taxes)
I guess it makes sense for the sun to be evil in a hotter country.
Sock Puppet wrote:
This covers all the pre roman maltese religion. However, I may need to add one or two more, to allow for the knights historical period. And I'm aware that the list does not cover all the points mentioned in 3.0 deities and demigods.
You don't need to cover all the points. I've seen a few minimalist charts that show how few deities you can get away with.

I think the main thing was that you need to cover every point via the "one step away" rule. (So a Lawful Evil cleric could worship a Neutral Evil deity or a Lawful Neutral deity, meaning that you could avoid having a Lawful Evil deity at a pinch.)

IIRC: 7 deities is enough for that, but if there is any other mythology that could be used for another faith, I'd suggest you consider adding that in.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:33 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:45 am
GP makes an excellent point.

My personal opinion of DMs Guild is that...
  • ...if you want to publish Forgotten Realms material commercially it is the only legal way to go,
  • ...if you want to publish Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur or Maztica material commercially (or material for Arcane Age, The Horde or Malatra: The Living Jungle) it's the only legal way to go,
  • ...if you want to publish Ravenloft material commercially it is the only legal way to go,
  • ...if you want to publish Eberron material commercially it is the only legal way to go,
  • ...but if you want to publish anything else you are giving yourself a legal straight-jacket that is not necessary
One more bullet point for your list - if you want to publish material that includes Mind Flayers, Beholders, Slaads, or other "Product Identity" monsters, as well as any material not covered by the OGL because it wasn't published in corebooks (eg Ghostwalk or Tome of Battle), then DM's Guild is your only legal option.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”