[Bloodspace] Thoughts

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Halvor
Goblin

[Bloodspace] Thoughts

Post by Halvor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 pm

I am currently running a strangers in a strange world themed Spelljammer/Birthright Campaign. Unfortunately there is very little available about Bloodspace, so I am going to have to create my own version of it.

My current thoughts on Bloodsphere are as follows:

Aebrynis is the location of the Borthright Campaign so it needs to be in the sphere

Aebrynis has a moon though I cannot find a name for it so I am going to call it Vorynn after the original god of the moon, magic, and knowledge in the setting.

I am going to make the Garradalaighs native to Vorynn, which is why they re so rare on Aebrynis. I am going to expand on the history of the Garradalaighs and make them historically agents and proxies for Vorynn that taught the first spells to elves and man long ago. Their more recent visits to Aebrynis have been primarily to recruit potential students to the colleges of magic they represent on Vorynn. Vorynn will also be populated by a large number of owls, chameleons and whales as they are the totem animals of Vorynn. I am thinking about using some type of magical effect to obscure much of the Vorynn's surface from viewers on Aebrynis.

Basaïa is the name of the original goddess of the sun in the Birthright setting, so the fire world that serves as the sphere's sun shall take her name. The normal elemental fire creatures are native to Basaïa along with species of fire eagles and fire horses. Both the eagle and horse were totem animals to Basaïa.

I would like to expand the Battle of Deismaar to include other places in the sphere. My thoughts are if the gods gathered their forces on Aebrynis to fight each other they most likely would have done that elsewhere in the sphere as well. The result of this will be one or two asteroid belts created when worlds were destroyed by the fighting between the gods along with one or two void worlds that were also destroyed by the gods.

I would like to include more connection to the shadow world. Perhaps the Void world is populated by undead that reenact the battle that destroyed their world daily.

There is one reference in canon to the valiant warrior constellation that represents one of the new gods, so I am going to create constellations for each of the human gods.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Bloodspace] Thoughts

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 am

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Halvor
Goblin

Post by Halvor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 am
The following topics might help you: Good luck!
Thanks.

Halvor
Goblin

Post by Halvor » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:21 am

Current thoughts on Bloodspace

The sphere does not receive a lot of spelljamming traffic because it is not known to offer much and because its position in the the flow is not constant and appears to move in relation to other spheres in a pattern that is not fully understood by many sages. This movement makes it difficult to reach Bloodspace consistently, combined with the perceived lack of value of Bloodspace's resources means that few will make the effort to call upon this sphere. The IEN and a few others have copies of a formula developed by a very young spacefarer named Ruornil over 1500 years ago that can accurately predict the location of bloodspace within +/-1d4 weeks of its arrival at that location when used in conjunction with various navigational devices.

The surviving records of ancient visitors to Bloodspace describe a sphere with three very similar earth worlds that share parallel histories. There are even references to discovery nearly identical individuals on each world as it appeared most beings on each world shared a near identical counterpart on both other earth worlds.

Worlds of Blood Space

Basaïa
Type H Fire World

Basaïa functions as Bloodspaces sun. It is populated by beings of elemental fire. Notable fire creature include fire eagles and fire horses.
It is named after the original god of the Sun on Aebrynis

Aabrynes Belt
Former Type D earth world now asteroid belt. It is/was the closest planet to the sun in the sphere.

Aabrynes was a Type D earth world very similar to Aebrynis. Its major difference was that magic users organized magic into 4 elemental and 4 paraelemental schools of magic instead of the 8 tradition schools of magic used on Aebrynis and the 2e PHB. About 1500 years ago Aabrynes broke up and in the proceess killed most of the humans, dwarves, elves, goblinoids, etc. that lived on it. The IEN believes that Aabrynes destruction is connected to a battle fought between the gods on it and its parallel worlds. This battle is commonly called the Battle of Deismaar on Aebrynis and has various other names through out Bloodsphere. Most of the native population of Aabrynes died during the planets destruction, though the descendents of the survivors of Aabrynes destruction can befound populating many of the astoroids in the Aabrynes belt today. Some of these survivors have developed blood abilities and blood lines similar to those found on Aebrynis, though blood lines with strength above major are unknown in the Aabrynes Belt. In fact major bloodlines in the Aabrynes Belt are as rare as True Bloodlines on Aebrynis.

Reforged
Type B irregular shaped earth world in the Aabrynes Belt

Reforged is the largest asteroid in the Aabrynes Belt. During the destruction of Aabrynes the fear, prayers, etc. of the native Dwarves were so profound that the Dwarven Pantheon collectively empowered a proxy by the name Therin Faithshield to help the native Dwarves of Aabrynes. Due to Therin Faithshield's work many dwarves were able to survive the destruction of their world. He then stayed in Bloodsphere to teach the dwarves of Reforged how to build Forges that would power spelljamming vessals and various other skills they would need to survive if not prosper. To date every every Overthane of Reforged has had their investiture ceremony performed by Therin Faithshield.

Refuge
Type B Irregular Shaped Earth World in the Aabrynes Belt

Refuge is an asteroid that comes in at the lower end of the Type B size range. When Aabrynes was destroyed human, elf, and goblin on this rock managed to survive. Initially they Humans, elves, and goblins agreed to an armistice in their conflicts and rejoiced together in their survival. The even collectively agreed to name this rock Refuge, but as resources grew thin their old hatreds reemerged. Today this rock is divided into over two dozen domains ruled by various human, elf, and goblin warlords. These warlords and their domains exist in a near permanent state of perpetual war with each other.

Barter
Type A Irregular Shaped Earth World in the Aabrynes Belt

This asteroid was recently colonized by a cartel of Dohwar. The Dohwar had heard about Bloodspace and regard it as a "developing market." This cartel has set up shop here with the intent of establishing a commanding market position in the sphere before their dreaded competition (the arcane) take notice of this sphere.

After the Dohwar colonized Barter, they discovered several sets of significant ruins from pre-Deismaar. The Dowher board is currently considering hiring adventurers to explore these ruins.

The Watch
Type A Irregular Shaped Earth World in the Aabrynes Belt

The Watch is is a very small Tye A asteroid that the Bloodspace Fleet of the IEN has established to watch over the Aabrynes Belt

Virynn
Type B spherical Earth World

Virynn was originally the moon of Aabrynes. The destruction of Aabrynes resulted in Virynn being flung out of its orbit. Currently it is in a planetary orbit around Basaïa about halfway between the Aabrynes Belt and Aebrynis (the setting for the Birthright Campaign) At one time Virynn was the home of a variant of the Garradalaighs. The Garradalaighs of Virynn were recruiters and instructors at various colleges of elemental magic. Few knew of these colleges of magic before the destruction of Aabrynes, as their presence was shielded by illusion magic that made Virynn appear to be a void world. Each college of magic on Virynn numbered their enrollment in the dozens of students prior to the destruction of Aabrynes.

Aebrynis
Type D spherical Earth World

This is the world described by the Birthright Campaign Setting

Vorynn
Type B spherical Earth World

Vorynn is the moon of Aebrynis. It bares the same name as the old god of the moon on Aebrynis. Vorynn is surrounded by a permanant illusion that makes it appear to be a void world. In reality it has an atmosphere as well as flora and fauna. The Garradalaighs are natives of Vorynn. The Garradalaighs are recruiters and instructors at 8 different Colleges of Magic located on Vorynn. Each of these colleges number their students in the dozens, and base their instruction on one of the 8 traditional schools of magic found in the 2e PHB. The Garradalaighs travel Aebrynis in search of the most promising potential magic users. When they believe a potential student is ready they will make the potential student the offer to enroll. If accepted the student is magically transported to Vorynn and begins his or her studies.

More to come.

Return to “Spelljammer”