Are these FR boxed sets worth having?

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Are these FR boxed sets worth having?

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 pm

I have three FR boxed sets that i'm considering parting with, but I didn't know if there was anything truly worth having in them.
  • Spellbound
  • Netheril: Empire of Magic
  • Lands of Intrigue
Let me know what you think.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Are these FR boxed sets worth having?

Post by night_druid » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Depends on what you're after.

Spellbound - of the three, this one is the most sparse. I like FR6 Dream of the Red Wizards better. The box is huge but the books are slim and the borders broad. It details Rasheman, Thay, and Aglarond, although not nearly to my liking. Never really held my interest for very long.

Netheril - man this one is frustrating. First thing to note is that its set in the past, at least a good 2,000 years or so prior to current DR. Secondly, magic is higher power, with spells going to 11th level (and one 12th level spell). The setting of Netheril is fun to read, but man it does not line up with FR lore at all. Hell, half the reason I wrote "Mystryl's Harbor" was as a way to use the Netheril boxed set in a way that didn't completely wreck FR lore on Netheril. The rules aren't particularly great and the magic is ignorable. It never really addresses the "um, we have floating cities. We can pretty much go anywhere we want" aspect of the setting. I think I'd just use it as a normal setting, on its own, disconnected from FR, with a twist of having floating cities around ran by a handful of really powerful, almost alien wizards.

Lands of Intrigue - by far the best box, just by authors' rep alone. It details Amn & Tethyr at about the time Amn gets wrecked by a rising humanoid empire and the Tethyr civil war comes to an end. Of the three listed it is the most useful, IMHO, for running a fairly standard FR campaign. It pairs well with Empires of the Shining Sea, as the two were written at around the same time so they are very consistent between the two.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Are these FR boxed sets worth having?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:19 am

Netheril: Empire of Magic has Spelljammer stuff.

I rest my case. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”