Unique OD&D Rules

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Unique OD&D Rules

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:29 am

Here's a fun list of rules that are unique to OD&D. I had no idea the list would be that long.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: Unique OD&D Rules

Post by Hugin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Very cool list!

Although several of these translated over to Basic D&D with only minor changes.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Yes, in particular all weapons to 1d6 damage in the Basic Set too, and encumbrance is measured in coins in all BECMI/RC versions.

The Aerial and Naval combat rules are in a supplement, and there are detailed aerial and naval combat rules in supplements for other versions of D&D (aerial combat rules in Dawn of the Emperors and Champions of Mystara for BECMI, naval combat rules in several sources) .

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:37 am

The “Angry Villager Rule” looks interesting.

That would be a good way to counter players that want to become "murder hobos".
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:40 am

agathokles wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 pm
The Aerial and Naval combat rules are in a supplement, and there are detailed aerial and naval combat rules in supplements for other versions of D&D (aerial combat rules in Dawn of the Emperors and Champions of Mystara for BECMI, naval combat rules in several sources) .
Spelljammer has some rules like that too.

They really do need to be embedded into the core rules, though. Things like Spelljammer should be bolting onto a well-formed system for sea combat and flying combat.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 am

Didn't either Basic or 1st Ed AD&D also have the rule that all doors are locked/stuck to the PCs but monsters can open them normally?
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 am

Khedrac wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 am
Didn't either Basic or 1st Ed AD&D also have the rule that all doors are locked/stuck to the PCs but monsters can open them normally?
Not BECMI, AFAIR.

GP

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:37 am

If I recall, this rule was still in one of the B/X or BECMI books?

This rule needs to make a come-back, simply as a PC motivation tool for the DM to use when players start destroying towns & bullying villager NPCs without reason.
Khedrac wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 am
I think 1e followed this philosophy, but IDR if it was actually in the DMG and B/X, but doors weren't always stuck or locked. PCs could roll a d6, and the door was stuck or locked like 50% of the time - on a roll of 1-3 or 4-6, IDR the exact numbers needed to open a door.

I always ran it as:
1-2: unlocked/unstuck for non-fighters.
1-3: unlocked/unstuck for only fighters.
4-6: locked or stuck, thieves may attempt to open locks, fighters may attempt to break door down.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:54 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:25 pm
Big Mac wrote:

This rule needs to make a come-back, simply as a PC motivation tool for the DM to use when players start destroying towns & bullying villager NPCs without reason.
Would this be something that starts to take over encounter tables? (Maybe a percentage chance rolled before a normal encounter table roll, with the chance of an angry mob increasing as the reputation of the PCs gets worse.)

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:11 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:54 am
Dread Delgath wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:25 pm
Big Mac wrote:

Would this be something that starts to take over encounter tables? (Maybe a percentage chance rolled before a normal encounter table roll, with the chance of an angry mob increasing as the reputation of the PCs gets worse.)
That's an excellent way to enforce the verisimilitude of a living campaign. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 pm

agathokles wrote:
Yes, in particular all weapons to 1d6 damage in the Basic Set too
Can anyone actually justify why this rule is good, for any reason other than nostalgia?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 pm
agathokles wrote:
Can anyone actually justify why this rule is good, for any reason other than nostalgia?
It's not good. The thread is not about good rules, but rules that were in OD&D but were not kept in successive editions (in some cases the reason is, indeed, that they were not that good).
This particular rule, however, was kept in the Basic Set as a form of simplification (IIRC, it was optional even there).

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:54 pm

agathokles wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm
willpell wrote:
agathokles wrote:
It's not good. The thread is not about good rules, but rules that were in OD&D but were not kept in successive editions (in some cases the reason is, indeed, that they were not that good).
This particular rule, however, was kept in the Basic Set as a form of simplification (IIRC, it was optional even there).

GP
IIRC, D6 for all weapons is the default rule in the Basic Set, and "Variable weapon damage" is the optional rule, but at this point a wast majority of players probably went with variable weapon damage.

I see the appeal of a simpler system, although as presented in OD&D it has problems like the dagger rule and the rules for 2H weapons. I could also see this rule being more widely used at a time when polyhedral dice were harder to obtain.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:54 pm
I could also see this rule being more widely used at a time when polyhedral dice were harder to obtain.
If someone doesn't have a D8, you could approximate similar results by rolling 3d6 and halving the result. The results would cluster around 5 more than a d8 does, but it would have done the job better than just making a Dagger do the same damage as a Greatsword.

finarvyn
Bugbear

Post by finarvyn » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm

willpell wrote:
agathokles wrote:
What I like about the rule is that it allows players to pick weapons for flavor instead of min/maxing the damage dice. It's amazing how many players suddenly liked certain weapons once Greyhawk came out and varied the damage. ;)
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:39 am

finarvyn wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm
What I like about the rule is that it allows players to pick weapons for flavor instead of min/maxing the damage dice. It's amazing how many players suddenly liked certain weapons once Greyhawk came out and varied the damage. ;)
I like the approach 13th Age takes. Weapons are either simple or martial and one- or two-handed. Damage is determined by your class and weapon category. A rogue is excellent with knives, so she does more damage with simple one-handed weapons. But if her theme is to use a club or any other simple one-handed weapons, she gets the same damage. A wizard is poor at melee combat, so that same dagger in his hands does just a d4 for damage. It reinforces class tropes while giving each character a wide range of weapons they can select from for flavor reasons alone.

Return to “Original D&D”