[Melitensis] 20 Questions

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Ashtagon
Hierarch

[Melitensis] 20 Questions

Post by Ashtagon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Inspired by http://jrients.blogspot.com/2011/04/twe ... -your.html ...

1. What is the deal with my cleric's religion?

The chief deities are Melqart, god of weather, skies, and seasons, and Imleiqa, the Fat Lady, goddess of fertility. Other good gods include a god of architecture and buildings, a moon god, and a goddess of secret wisdom. "Evil" gods include a god of raging seas, a god of sun, heat, and dehydration, and a goddess of death. Notably absent in the setting are war gods. War is mostly seen as a secular issue outside the interests of the gods.

Where can we go to buy standard equipment?

Most larger communities have a smithy and a general store of some sort. You might need to visit the coastal towns for imported goods. Fortunately, sea trade links are good.

Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?

You probably can't. Monsters are there to be killed, not befriended. Oh, I guess if you meet one of the giganti, a smithy could probably work something up, since that's just a simple matter of scaling the basic design up. But most citizenry would be too unbelieving that your pet monster is actually tame to stop and talk to it, let alone armour it.

Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?

Technically, the goddess of secret wisdom is an ascended wizard, so maybe she counts? Otherwise, most noble and royal courts will have a wizard on call, although how powerful any one of them is is anyone's guess really.

Who is the greatest warrior in the land?

Jahan is reputed to have slain one of the giganti single-handedly once. But rumour has it he did it more by cunning than by force of arms.

Who is the richest person in the land?

The king, of course!

Where can we go to get some magical healing?

Most temples can do something. If you can't (or won't) visit a temple, your options are rather limited for magical healing.

Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?

Temples, again. Only, they tend to have trouble with undeath. While undead do technically exiost, there are really really rare. And lacking any vital life spark, cleics have no power over them. Clerical power is instead focused against the jinn. The jinn recognise clerics as servants of the gods, their sworn enemies, and as such fear the power of the clerics.

Also, don't count on resurrection magic.

Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?

No, but you can probably apprentice yourself to one of the court mages.

Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?

Some of those court mages are actually alchemists and/or sages rather than wizards. Have fun finding out which is which, as they tend to be reluctant to admit the true nature of their arcane lore.

Where can I hire mercenaries?

Go to the harbour taverns, especially when a ship is in.

Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?

Magic is not technically illegal, but most people are sufficiently superstitious that open use of magic will likely cause a small riot. Most cities require that weapons be bound while within city limits.

Which way to the nearest tavern?

In most communities, you'd be hard pressed not to find a watering hole more than a few hundred yards away.

What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?

A few of the giganti still live in the hills over yonder. Those caves to the north sometimes hide all manner of odd beasties. And huge sea monsters terrorise shipping lanes. Dragons, while present, are thankfully either in the underworld or far from civilisation.

Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?

Far to the east, an evil empire that worships a twisted sun and moon cult threatens to invade. Or you could go raiding them instead I guess.

How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?

Are you out of your mind? Good men of conscience do not fight each other, nor to they have slaves kill each other for entertainment. Not like those twisted sun and moon cultists...

Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?

Of course there are. But it's a secret.

What is there to eat around here?

The staples are pasta and bread, onions and tomatoes. All kinds of meat are eaten, including beef, pork, chicken, and fish. Local delicacies include octopus and rabbit. Dates and figs are popular dessert foods, often made into small fried pastries.

Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?

Several, but most are in the hands of the jinn, who tend to be rather reluctant to give up their treasures.

Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?

In the underworld. Go check out those caves to the north!
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”