Google+ is Shutting Down

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Re: Google+ is Shutting Down

Post by JoeNotCharles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:39 pm

night_druid wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 am
Big Mac wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 am
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:35 am
"Sunsetting"? What sort of management double-speak is that?
I've figured it out!

Google+ has been taken over by Illithids! :o

;)
"has been taken over"? Who do you think runs Google?
You mean there's a hidden meaning in
https://ai.google/research/teams/brain ?

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 am
willpell wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 pm
willpell wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 pm
Wasn't there already some other Google service that got shut down and migrated to G+? Are they just going to keep migrating all their services until everything fits in the search bar? Maps, Drive, Translate, all condensed into a single ultra-creaky widget containing a trillion petabytes of leftover data going back to the late 90s?
They are going to keep Google+, as a system, but boot off normal customers and relaunch it as a corporate social network.

So there will be no more data mining, because every Google+ account will be restricted to a corporation that is paying for the access.
I dunno what you mean about "data mining"; G+ was effectively a blogging site, and it'd be pretty outrageous if people were forced to pay for access to their own journal entries.
No. Blogger is Google's blogging site.

Google+ is social media, with users able to restrict privacy levels and communities to join and post in. (And the only reason this topic is relevant enough to be in The Wishing Well is that there are large numbers of RPG communities on Google+.)

And, like I said before, they have identified and closed some privacy holes, but have decided to kick off all the regular users and turn the Google+ system into a private thing that only corporate accounts will have access to.
Since I've never had the urge to install G+ I've never actually looked at any of the RPG content that's posted there. Do any publishing companies, rather than just individuals, use it for their product forums? If so, would they still be able to continue as "corporate accounts"?

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:58 am

JoeNotCharles wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:41 pm
Since I've never had the urge to install G+ I've never actually looked at any of the RPG content that's posted there. Do any publishing companies, rather than just individuals, use it for their product forums? If so, would they still be able to continue as "corporate accounts"?
Several rpg companies have G+ group pages but I must say that in my experience these groups are not very active compared their FB pages and company forums. Google does sight very low in G+ groups as a reason to close them. I registered to more than 20 G+ gaming groups over the last 3 years only 2 were really active on a daily basis. There others were often did see any activity for days or even weeks at a time. I'm not surprised by Google's decision.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:03 am

JoeNotCharles wrote:
Do any publishing companies, rather than just individuals, use it for their product forums? If so, would they still be able to continue as "corporate accounts"?
The publisher of Shadow of the Demon Lord uses G+ as its primary way of communicating with its community. Pelgrane Press shut down its forums and uses G+ as well. I follow dozens of publishers that are active on G+, but I'm not sure which are using other social media or which other platforms they use.

Corporate accounts are only available to users within a company. So that won't serve the needs of any companies/publishers who wish to communicate with their communities.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:06 am

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:58 am
Several rpg companies have G+ group pages but I must say that in my experience these groups are not very active compared their FB pages and company forums.
I agree that in general, Facebook groups are more active than their G+ community equivalents. However, there are publishers who aren't on Facebook or only have a corporate page and not a group, and in these cases, the G+ communities trend to be active.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:01 am

JoeNotCharles wrote:
Google+ is not forums, it is social media.

Do you remember mailing lists? Well Google+ communities (and Facebook groups) work exactly the same as mailing lists (but look more pretty and use a web interface).

When The Piazza posts in the Google+ community (or when anyone else does) it jumps up to the top of that community. Anyone coming in sees it, so you get a bit of activity on a new post.

This can make people feel that social media is more active, but it's only really more active in the moment.

Over hear, we can have hundreds of different forums and people can look for old discussions and restart them. That does not happen so much in social media communities/groups as it is a bit harder for people to dig backwards.

But, each type of thing has it's place.

If you are a publishing company and you have a new product to sell, posting once on a Google+ community (or a Facebook group) gets your link to your new product to the top of your page, where it is more likely to get replies. (Just don't go looking for that same post in 6 years time.)

Tim Baker has already covered the corporate account thing.

A RPG company could presumably set up internal Google email accounts for all of it's customers and make a new internal community, but one of the advantages of the current way that social media works is that non-members can see things from the outside.

People don't need to be a member of a Google+ community to see an annoucement and discussion about a new RPG product. And if they want to join, they just ask to join (presuming they have a Google account).

All of that environment is going away.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:15 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:06 am
shesheyan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:58 am
Several rpg companies have G+ group pages but I must say that in my experience these groups are not very active compared their FB pages and company forums.
I agree that in general, Facebook groups are more active than their G+ community equivalents. However, there are publishers who aren't on Facebook or only have a corporate page and not a group, and in these cases, the G+ communities trend to be active.
It's all academic now, as Google+ will be pulling the plug, but I had a friend bagering me to join Google+ for ages.

His argument was that there were a lot of unpleasant people on Facebook and that the RPG communities on Google+ had much less trolling and nastiness.

I saw some other people making that argument too. And a few people I know kept threatening to "shut down their Facebook account and move to Google+". Some of them actually did do that in the end.

I think that Google+ was simply nicer because it was smaller (and therefore less of an attractive target to trolls). If you have a bunch of mostly positive people anywhere and they assume bad faith and don't amplify drama, things usually go well. I've never had problems in the small Facebook groups I am a member in. it's only ever been the highly successful ones that have attracted people who decide to start being rude to a lot of people.

But comparing Facebook and Google+ is a bit silly, if you are a publisher trying to talk to fans on social media, because fans choose the platform they want to be on. When it comes to social media it's more of a case of: You have a certain number of fans on each social media platform. Can you be bothered to sign up there yourself and talk to them?

Wizards of the Coast has an official D&D presence on Google+, Facebook and Twitter. If you want to see how "good" Google+ is, compared to Facebook and/or Twitter, you could look at all three of their social media platforms and see how much interaction they get every time they post a message saying that they are streaming a show on Twitch or every time they post a link to an Unearthed Arcana article or a survey.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:03 am
JoeNotCharles wrote:
Do any publishing companies, rather than just individuals, use it for their product forums? If so, would they still be able to continue as "corporate accounts"?
The publisher of Shadow of the Demon Lord uses G+ as its primary way of communicating with its community. Pelgrane Press shut down its forums and uses G+ as well. I follow dozens of publishers that are active on G+, but I'm not sure which are using other social media or which other platforms they use.
I feel for publishers that have gone all-in with Google+ to the exclusion of everything else.

Instead of spreading their bets, they have put everything on Google (and helped persuade many of their fans to support Google+) and are loosing out specifically because they have been such a good ambassador for Google+.

Everyone that works for Pelgrane Press would of course be more than welcome to come over to the 13th Age forum at The Piazza. (We don't have a bespoke forum for Shadow of the Demon Lord, but if people started creating topics for it, it might eventually win it's own forum.) But sometimes publishers want to be able to run their own community (rather than come to communties run by other folks) and if that is what they want, they are going to have to spend time evaluating options, testing how they work, setting up a new thing and then they will need to go invite people to follow them over there.

That's time that could have been spent creating commercial products, talking to fans about their questions or making freebies that add value to gamebooks people already have.

Robin
Storm Giant

Re: Google+ is going to stop within 10 months

Post by Robin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Allen Varney wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:02 pm
Robin wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:07 pm
Does anybody know anything more? I don't and could not find any more information [...] Has anybody good ideas on this issue?
You may want to look at "Google+ is shutting down," where Piazza folk have been discussing this since the original announcement four days ago.
my post was already moved there...aka here. still thanx...
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:19 pm
The simple answer is, there is no need to panic, and no pressing urgency to migrate to another platform. Since you are here, you have in effect already migrated to another platform.

I mean, sure, if you want to be on mewe too, go for it.

My guess is that the ten-month period is so that news of the closure can spread and users will have time to download their data archive should they want to do so. I would assume (based on their past actions) that any data not rescued after those ten months will be lost, although it's possible google will archive it for read-only access.
thanx..in the upcoming time on g+ i'll try to lure more people here. . maybe this is indead a good location.
although i truly like the amount of "likes" and comment I received way more on G"+ than here.
i feel piazza is more for research and discussion than advertising your stuff and sharing
i will see what option arise...
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 pm

JoeNotCharles wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:34 pm
Robin wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:07 pm
Does anybody know anything more? I don't and could not find any more information, nor could I contact Google and request information.
This is the announcement from Google: https://www.blog.google/technology/safe ... ct-strobe/
thanx..difficult matter, but at least i have some information...still weird that as being a customer, i am not informed about this by gmail, google information, or such

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 am
Everyone that works for Pelgrane Press would of course be more than welcome to come over to the 13th Age forum at The Piazza.
13th Age is designed by Fire Opal Games, based in Seattle, but published by Pelgrane Press in England. It's unusual among the Pelgrane-published games in that way. It has a presence on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Discord, and now MeWe. Pelgrane Press' other games (e.g., the GUMSHOE system games such as Ashen Stars, Night's Black Agents, Trail of Cthulhu) seem to be more limited to discussion on G+. There may be communities elsewhere as well -- I don't play GUMSHOE games regularly, and haven't searched for related communities. If they were interested in a large presence on the Piazza, they'd likely need to work toward a GUMSHOE sub-forum.
Big Mac wrote:
We don't have a bespoke forum for Shadow of the Demon Lord, but if people started creating topics for it, it might eventually win it's own forum.
A recent post from Rob Schwalb on the Shadow of the Demon Lord G+ community stated that there would be a forum created on the SotDL site. A MeWe group was recently created, too. He appears to strongly oppose creating a group on Facebook.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 am
Big Mac wrote:
Everyone that works for Pelgrane Press would of course be more than welcome to come over to the 13th Age forum at The Piazza.
13th Age is designed by Fire Opal Games, based in Seattle, but published by Pelgrane Press in England. It's unusual among the Pelgrane-published games in that way. It has a presence on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Discord, and now MeWe. Pelgrane Press' other games (e.g., the GUMSHOE system games such as Ashen Stars, Night's Black Agents, Trail of Cthulhu) seem to be more limited to discussion on G+. There may be communities elsewhere as well -- I don't play GUMSHOE games regularly, and haven't searched for related communities. If they were interested in a large presence on the Piazza, they'd likely need to work toward a GUMSHOE sub-forum.
I've never heard of Gumshoe before. It sounds like it is a private detective RPG, from the name.
Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
We don't have a bespoke forum for Shadow of the Demon Lord, but if people started creating topics for it, it might eventually win it's own forum.
A recent post from Rob Schwalb on the Shadow of the Demon Lord G+ community stated that there would be a forum created on the SotDL site. A MeWe group was recently created, too. He appears to strongly oppose creating a group on Facebook.
Some folks do seem to have a beef with one social network or another. And not everyone has the time to be everywhere talking to everyone.

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 pm
Tim Baker wrote:
the GUMSHOE system games such as Ashen Stars, Night's Black Agents, Trail of Cthulhu)
I've never heard of Gumshoe before. It sounds like it is a private detective RPG, from the name.
http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/gumshoe/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumshoe_System

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Allen Varney wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:33 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:
the GUMSHOE system games such as Ashen Stars, Night's Black Agents, Trail of Cthulhu)

Thanks Allen.

It's interesting that it has an SRD. I wonder how many 3rd Party Publishers have been interested in supporting it.

(It's kind of a shame that I'm focused on D&D, as the market for this is probably as potentially diverse as the market that 3e D&D created.)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Allen Varney wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:33 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:

I played Ashen Star, the sci-fi version of Gumshoe. It was interesting. The clever part of the system is that regardless of the number of players you distribute the «sleuthing skills» among that number of players so the group has access to the whole palet instead of just a limited amount.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:05 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:38 pm
I played Ashen Star, the sci-fi version of Gumshoe. It was interesting. The clever part of the system is that regardless of the number of players you distribute the «sleuthing skills» among that number of players so the group has access to the whole palet instead of just a limited amount.
That does sound like a good innovation. It's never a good feeling when you bring a scout-type character with a 15 perception, as his entire shtick, to the table and then find out that the party Wizard just incidentally also happens to have a 17 in perception, even though it's not his strong suit.

Return to “The Wishing Well”