2E Settings differences?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

2E Settings differences?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 am

In comparing the original boxed set to the revised boxed set and the hardcover book, what does each release have that the others don't? Pros and cons to each?

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Re: 2E Settings differences?

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am

The revised boxed set keeps the same starting year, but updates the setting post grand-conjunction (i.e. removal of Blutespur from the lands of the core, adding in the shadow rift, etc.).

The Domains of Dread hardbound forwards the time-line as well as updating the setting post grim harvest. The book also tries to take the setting away from the original concept of bringing characters into the setting from outside the lands of the mist, to having characters be native to the setting.

There are other differences, but those are the biggest ones... I may post more on the morrow, but it is past 3:00 AM my time at the moment, and my coff.. er, I mean my bed, beckons me. ;)
Last edited by Digitalelf on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Domains of Dread added a new race; the Half Vistani. It also introduced new classes; Avenger, Arcanist, Anchorites, and Gypsies (not of the Vistani).

Another change Domains of Dread made is the Nocturnal Sea is added to the east of the Core, giving the Core a sea on both the east and the west.

The timeline in the original boxed set (and that of the revised boxed set) was 735. Domains of Dread started the setting out in 751.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:40 am

Thanks, Digitalelf. If you have the time, I'd love to know what all the minor changes to details are.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 am

I didn't even know there were three different core books/sets. Thanks for the info, Digitalelf!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 am
I didn't even know there were three different core books/sets.
Yeah, all three were, of course, 2nd Edition AD&D products. The Original boxed set was released in 1990, the revised boxed set was released in 1994, and the Hardbound book: Domains of Dread was released in 1997. Also in 1994, The Masque of the Red Death boxed set was released. There was one other rules-related boxed set (most of the Ravenloft boxed sets were Adventures), and that was "Forbidden Lore", released in 1992.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:05 am

Digitalelf wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 am
Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 am
I didn't even know there were three different core books/sets.
Yeah, all three were, of course, 2nd Edition AD&D products. The Original boxed set was released in 1990, the revised boxed set was released in 1994, and the Hardbound book: Domains of Dread was released in 1997. Also in 1994, The Masque of the Red Death boxed set was released. There was one other rules-related boxed set (most of the Ravenloft boxed sets were Adventures), and that was "Forbidden Lore", released in 1992.
Forbidden Lore was where the domain of Kalidnay was introduced, as part of integrating Dark Sun with Ravenloft.

Return to “Ravenloft”