Google+ is Shutting Down

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Google+ is Shutting Down

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 am

With Google+ coming to an end, I encourage any Piazza members who are active in any G+ RPG communities to invite their acquaintances to our forums. Many gamers are looking for a new "home" for their RPG discussions, and while a forum might not solve all of their needs, mentioning the Piazza allows them to make an informed decision.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Google+ is Shutting Down

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 am

Wow!

Just, wow!

Is there a press release for that, Tim?

EDIT: I have not found the press release, but I did find a BBC News story: Google+ shutting down after users' data is exposed.

We do have an open invitation to all D&D fans. That can go for anything tangential to D&D too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:35 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 am
EDIT: I have not found the press release, but I did find a BBC News story: Google+ shutting down after users' data is exposed.
They hid that announcement: Project Strobe: Protecting your data, improving our third-party APIs, and sunsetting consumer Google+

"Sunsetting"? What sort of management double-speak is that?

There are a ton of people using the Internet who have English as a second language. People are going to misunderstand that. They should have said "shutting down" like you did.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:48 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:35 am

There are a ton of people using the Internet who have English as a second language. People are going to misunderstand that. They should have said "shutting down" like you did.
Ahh yes, another one that I hate (going forward, touching base, at the end of the day .. etc etc). It normally means shutting down forever it terms of software, but I think it should have the meaning of a temporary closure.. rising again in a new dawn or something like that.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 am
With Google+ coming to an end, I encourage any Piazza members who are active in any G+ RPG communities to invite their acquaintances to our forums. Many gamers are looking for a new "home" for their RPG discussions, and while a forum might not solve all of their needs, mentioning the Piazza allows them to make an informed decision.
The Piazza is making an open invitation to all tabletop RPG fans on Google+. It's been syndicated on our social network channels, and you are welcome to share on this invitation.

I'd say that The Piazza might be a more attractive choice for people who are interested in things that:
  • Already have a bespoke forum here or that,
  • Already have several topics here in Other Worlds or The Crunchy Bits or
  • That have some sort of relationship to things that already have forums here (such as 3rd Party campaign settings for 13th Age or Pathfinder.
Obviously The Piazza would welcome any friendly gamers, but if people do decide to go somewhere else, they would also be welcome to have someone drop a topic over here letting people know where they are going. (Hopefully this means that we can help former G+ community members hook back up with each other, if some of them don't make arragements before Google pull the plug.)
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:22 pm

That is a bummer. I'm part of a very active G+ group for wargaming. We left traditional forums for G+... now it looks like the majority of members want to go with MeWe, which is similar to FB Groups but privacy is better and data is not shared.
Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 am
They hid that announcement: Project Strobe: Protecting your data, improving our third-party APIs, and sunsetting consumer Google+

« On October 8, 2018, Google announced that it was shutting down Google+ for consumers, citing low user engagement and a software error, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, that potentially exposed the data of hundreds of thousands of users.[4] The Google announcement indicated that Google+ would be fully shut down by August 2019, to allow users to download and migrate their information. »

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:45 pm

My experience with the term has usually been with regards to no longer supporting/developing/acknowledging older versions of software. AOL would do this frequently, when they were about three versions ahead of the one to be "sunsetted." And then, suddenly, half the screens and forms had to be redone, or three lines of code had to be changed... ON EVERY LINKED SCREEN... :shock: :facepalm:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:22 pm
That is a bummer. I'm part of a very active G+ group for wargaming. We left traditional forums for G+... now it looks like the majority of members want to go with MeWe, which is similar to FB Groups but privacy is better and data is not shared.
I just joined MeWe today. If anyone wants to add me, I'm Angel Tarragon ;) .

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Wasn't there already some other Google service that got shut down and migrated to G+? Are they just going to keep migrating all their services until everything fits in the search bar? Maps, Drive, Translate, all condensed into a single ultra-creaky widget containing a trillion petabytes of leftover data going back to the late 90s?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 pm

willpell wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 pm
Wasn't there already some other Google service that got shut down and migrated to G+? Are they just going to keep migrating all their services until everything fits in the search bar? Maps, Drive, Translate, all condensed into a single ultra-creaky widget containing a trillion petabytes of leftover data going back to the late 90s?
They are going to keep Google+, as a system, but boot off normal customers and relaunch it as a corporate social network.

So there will be no more data mining, because every Google+ account will be restricted to a corporation that is paying for the access.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 pm
willpell wrote:
They are going to keep Google+, as a system, but boot off normal customers and relaunch it as a corporate social network.

So there will be no more data mining, because every Google+ account will be restricted to a corporation that is paying for the access.
I dunno what you mean about "data mining"; G+ was effectively a blogging site, and it'd be pretty outrageous if people were forced to pay for access to their own journal entries.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 am

willpell wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 pm
Big Mac wrote:
willpell wrote:

I dunno what you mean about "data mining"; G+ was effectively a blogging site, and it'd be pretty outrageous if people were forced to pay for access to their own journal entries.
We are talking about «G+ Groups» with members that form a community.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 am

willpell wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 pm
Big Mac wrote:
willpell wrote:

No. Blogger is Google's blogging site.

Google+ is social media, with users able to restrict privacy levels and communities to join and post in. (And the only reason this topic is relevant enough to be in The Wishing Well is that there are large numbers of RPG communities on Google+.)

And, like I said before, they have identified and closed some privacy holes, but have decided to kick off all the regular users and turn the Google+ system into a private thing that only corporate accounts will have access to.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 am

Big Mac wrote:
I've figured it out!

Google+ has been taken over by Illithids! :o

;)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 am
I've figured it out!

;)
:o LMAO!! :lol: :lol:

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I've figured it out!

;)
Meh! Sounds legit.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 am

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I've figured it out!

;)
"has been taken over"? Who do you think runs Google?
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:26 am

night_druid wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 am
"has been taken over"? Who do you think runs Google?
I thought it was a clan of vampires. :shock:

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:44 am

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I've figured it out!

;)
Very Funny :lol: , but the D&D player inside me knows that Illithids are intelligent creatures. Perhaps Green Slime would be more apt.

Robin
Storm Giant

Google+ is going to stop within 10 months

Post by Robin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi

As this is affecting especially the Mystara fans I post it here, but when forumleader decides to place it elsewhere better please do :)

Bruce Heard informed me that Google+ is going to stop.
I heard this is to happen within 10 months (region dependant I presume)
Bruce Heard:
Since G+ will be shutting down, I created a group on MeWe as an alternative to Facebook. Feel free to join either.

https://mewe.com/group/5bbbf54aa5f4e527d1dec722
I know Piazza has a page too, where are we going and when? The sooner the better it feels

Will the existing Google+ pages be deleted?

Does anybody know anything more? I don't and could not find any more information, nor could I contact Google and request information.

I assume Shawn must work rapidly in requesting to, and then copying Bruce's work on Mystara and work of others, where he made only links of in the Pandius updates.

all in all a great impact to us all.

I myself (as being not particularly active on the social networks) am flabbergsted; I was content with Google +, and still absolutely discontent with facebook (imho terrorists and destroyers of freedom just for the case of money)..so I don't know what I can do to advertise my blog, articles like I did on Google +

Has anybody good ideas on this issue?
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Google+ is going to stop within 10 months

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:19 pm

The simple answer is, there is no need to panic, and no pressing urgency to migrate to another platform. Since you are here, you have in effect already migrated to another platform.

I mean, sure, if you want to be on mewe too, go for it.

My guess is that the ten-month period is so that news of the closure can spread and users will have time to download their data archive should they want to do so. I would assume (based on their past actions) that any data not rescued after those ten months will be lost, although it's possible google will archive it for read-only access.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Robin wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:07 pm
Does anybody know anything more? I don't and could not find any more information, nor could I contact Google and request information.
This is the announcement from Google: https://www.blog.google/technology/safe ... ct-strobe/

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:43 pm

My local wargaming G+ Group decided to go with FB Groups. The move is already done. We rejected MeWe because most local wargamers are on FB. This way is easier to attract new members. No need to create an account for yet another social media platform.

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Robin wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:07 pm
Does anybody know anything more? I don't and could not find any more information [...] Has anybody good ideas on this issue?
You may want to look at "Google+ is shutting down," where Piazza folk have been discussing this since the original announcement four days ago.

Return to “The Wishing Well”