Feathered Serpent Couatl Sources?

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Feathered Serpent Couatl Sources?

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:26 pm

What D&D books across editions feature Couatls? Are there any ideas and concepts that can be used to flesh out this Hollow World creature?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Feathered Serpent Couatl Sources?

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 am

Monster Mythology includes a couatl deity, Jazirian, and links him to the naga deities Shekinester and Parrafaire (nagas consider Parrafaire to be the son of Shekinester and Jazirian). Planes of Law detailed Jazirian's realm, a mysterious airy place where words become flesh and the only path to ascend from the fifth to the sixth heaven. Guide to Hell made Jazirian one of the primal gods of law, the twin of Ahriman/Asmodeus, lawful good to Asmodeus' lawful evil. Ka the Preserver would likely be Jazirian's closest Mystaran equivalent.

In Eberron, couatls are an ancient celestial race that fought a war with the rakshasas, many of them sacrificing themselves to banish their rajahs beneath the earth. The souls of the couatls combined to form the Silver Flame.

4th edition's The Plane Above has a fair amount of detail on couatl society, though it has a more cynical take. "The couatls seem like the most benevolent of the four [races native to the Astral Sea], but their crusade against various forms of evil masks a status-oriented society that can turn player characters into pawns used in the hierarchy contests within the couatls' Cloud Court... Folklore portrays the feathered serpents as selfless paragons of virtue. Those who actually meet them discover a harsher truth. Couatls are self-obsessed strivers that just happen to have chosen all the right enemies. They pursue the forces of evil as part of a ceaseless struggle for rank. Although they're happy to take credit for any good this does for the universe at large, that is hardly their main concern."

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:36 pm

That's a great overview Rip! Thank you!

Making Jaziran the equivalent of Ka the Preserver makes sense. He would likely be the main patron of the Feathered Serpents. Ixion also seems connected to Feathered Serpents however.

I think the connection to the Rakshasa in Eberron is interesting. Although Rakshasa might not have much of a place on Mystara, it does lead to the idea that Feathered Serpents could have a shared history with the M-Indian Realms of Sind and Shajapur.

I think the 4E presentation, while more cynical as you say, could be useful for Mystara discussions as well since it fits well with the more shades of grey appropriate Law-Neutral-Chaos single axis take on alignments in Mystara.

HWA2 describes the Flying Continent of Ashmorain. Although this is at a time when Ashmorain is under attack and the Queen Mother is trapped. It is hard to say how different Ashmorain would be once order is restored. HW2 says the Queen Mother has lived for 30 centuries(!) which would make her one of the oldest creatures on Mystara.

It also gives us one named Feathered Serpent, Marpolon, who was raised by Dael the Cursed Shepherd.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:39 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:36 pm
Making Jaziran the equivalent of Ka the Preserver makes sense. He would likely be the main patron of the Feathered Serpents. Ixion also seems connected to Feathered Serpents however.
There's also the fact that Atruaghin is Quetzalcoatl.

Return to “Hollow World”