Ops everybody forgot about The Pioneer!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Ops everybody forgot about The Pioneer!

Post by Sturm » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 pm

I planned to gather all the ideas on this thread and then proceed with the history of the Pioneer's voyage. Right now I have work to do for Threshold but I should have more time in a few days.
If other people want to cooperate however we should decide how to? Maybe like a sort of play by post with each of us taking the roles of some members of the crew?
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 am

Great idea Sturm
Cooperation...count me in.
pbp sounds right to me ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Patrick
Bugbear

Post by Patrick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:49 am

AllanP wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Maybe one author could start the voyage off, getting them to one situation in none issue ; and then another author could chart the next leg of the voyage up to a another location in the next issue; then over to another author for the next part and so on...?
Sturm wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 pm
If other people want to cooperate however we should decide how to? Maybe like a sort of play by post with each of us taking the roles of some members of the crew?
Honestly, I love both of these ideas and would be glad to contribute to either. Particularly if someone else is volunteering to organize it :P

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Well a ship needs a captain and he has to have the final say, I do not think multiple authors can really work because they could have different ideas on the direction to take and the places to visit.
But I think it could be viable to "simulate" different opinions in the crew by different people taking the role of different factions. Implementing the morale rules devised by Robin, a mutiny could also be theorically possible if the captain loses the majority.
The Captain of the Pioneer and his close friends:
- Lathan Lancehand from XSOLO should be the Captain and also the owner of the Pioneer, as proposed by Robin. His elven fiancee Alandah, that once he rescued from slavers, should be present too and his second.
- Brother Octave should be part of the crew as representative of the Church of Karameikos. He seems a cleric of Korotiku, a minority church in Karameikos which definitely would have an interest in contacting other followers of his god. He became a friend of Lathan and I think is loyal to him.
- I would have Elrem as a Minrothaddan dwarf, rather than a Rockhome dwarf. He would be good as representative of Minrothad. Probably he had a past as a pirate, hence his low standing in the past, but later became a friend of Lathan, and he is probably loyal.
- Kuat may have an origin from Thanegioth (or Pearl Islands, he may not even know for sure), maybe he was the victim of slavers too, but later earned his freedom as gladiator in Thyatis, moved to Mirros and fought the Iron Ring with Lathan. After that, he moved to Ierendi where he became friend with the current King and Queen. Certainly the Tribunal of Ierendi does not trust him and put Krag to spy on him.
- Suparjo could work as a female wizard, representative of the School of Krakatos and also friend of Lathan. She should also have many Alphatian friends by now.
- Krag is potentially the most interesting character. He may be originally from Minrothad but he has worked both for Minrothad Privateers (who often target Ierendian and Darokinian ships) and for Ierendian pirates (who targets instead Thyatians and Minrothaddans ships). He became a friend of Lathan and even helped the Karameikan navy against Iron Ring pirates in some occasions, but he is probably loyal to no one but his gain. he probably plans to sell useful information to Minrothad and Ierendi, whichever pays more, and has promised both to the Ierendi Tribunal and to Minrothaddan Houses to spy on their behalf.
- Cee Salt, as navigator and cartographer, is definitely present. He is likely to have become friend of Lathan over the years too.
All the above humans should be at least 35 years old in 1,013 AC and at least name level, Cee Salt is 36.
The Vorloi:
- Ludwig Vorloi is a niece of Halia Antonic Vorloi. He is a 22 years old Fighter 3. His father was an admirer of Ludwig Von Hendriks at the time, as the evil ways of the Baron were not widely known. Ludwig does not resent his name, hoping he will become famous for good reasons, erasing the bad rep the name Ludwig now has in Karameikos. He admires Lathan but could have some Thyatian prejudices.
- Sara Vorloi is his cousin, daughter of another brother of Halia Antonic Vorloi. She is a 20 years old Thief 4, officially studying as a diplomat, unofficially a member of the Kingdom of Thieves.
- Maria Vorloi is a sister of Halia, 41 years old and Thief 8. She is a member of the Karameikan diplomatic corp and her niece Sara is her apprentice, while her nephew Ludwig is her bodyguard. She appears as a dignified lady and no one knows she has adventuring experience and does not really need a bodyguard.
- Her husband Marius Andreanus is an official of the navy from a minor Thyatian family, 43 years old and Fighter 7. He knows of the true abilities of his wife.
- Their son Giorgios Andreanus is 15 years old and enthusiastic. Fighter 1, he is training under his father but likes to spend time with Ludwig.
The Torenescu:
- Stephanos Torenescu, cousin of Alexander, 38 years old and Fighter 12, an experienced adventurer and fighter of pirates, former member of the Royal navy. He does not like Andreanus much, but is normally polite with everyone.
- Lydia Linton, 36 years old Thief 13, is vice ambassador of Estella Whitehall in Mirros and wife of Stephanos. She is the main representative of Darokin on board, even if she has lived in Karameikos in the last 12 years.
- Gwen and Kira, twins, 8 years old, daughters of Stephanos and Lydia, are two wild and happy girls beloved by their parents.
- Marina Yarol Torenescu, 28 years old, 2nd daughter of Lord Yarol and Nichola Torenescu, cousin of Stephanos. She has always been an adventurous type, much to the preoccupation of her parents, and is a cleric 8, of the Church of Traladara
- Yuri Miltchev, 26 years old, Fighter 5, is her husband.
- Zogrev Miltchev, their son, 3 years old. His grandfather was dismayed to hear his daughter had joined the expedition, and bringing the child too, but could not dissuade her.
Others
- Wert of Ierendi (from Gaz04), 25 years old Thief 7, representative of the Ierendian Navy, friend of Kuat and Lathan from past adventures, eager to prove his worth to the captain and his superiors in Ierendi.
- Mavii Kelar Elsan, water elf 7, merchant prince 10, a niece of the famous captain and merchant prince Saroso Elsan, of the Egret, (from Gaz09). She is in bad standing with the Minrothad Guilds, having uncovered some shady dealing, but her uncle protected her. She is a friend of Lathan.

I would also put in the crew one of the adventuring groups in Threshold magazine issue #21 and maybe also one from an adventure,
to be continued...

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:00 pm

For the animals on board I would add the following;
Surpitious Status; Ship's Cat= an Elven Cat http://www.pandius.com/Monster_Manual_2.pdf page 164
This creature, as a kitten, was attracted to the Scent of Lathan Lancehand as being an Elf, when they refurbished the Pioneer recently. Lathan never had learn of Elven Cats, nor was any other in the neighbourhood acquinted with this magical and intelligent breed of cat. The creature seemed to bring luck in the first days and the superstitious crew enjoyed the beast on board. As being young, it has not used its abilities yet.

Sqig Status;Stowaway= a Lesser Wererat1 PC4-TSR9368-D&D-Mystara-Creature Crucible-Night Howlers page 28-30
ST7(H7) IN9(H9) WI14(H14) DX(H12) CO14(H15) CH8(H9) HD4 Hp, SVF4(H=Medium Commoner level 1), AC7(H9), AV0(H0), ML(7(H8)
a normal rat with lycanthropy able to transform into a short bend human-like form. He took residence on the vessel with his rats
Sqig recently lost a battle in the harbour and needed to flee or perish, He noticed the Pioneeer preparing for departure and secretly boarded with his rats. Sqig in his human form worked as a apothecary, so he could be of some use to the crew
It is possible for Sqig to create more wererats yet thus far he did not have this incentive. He has 3 giant rats(all females which migh later become wererats like Sqig by Sqig if he desires partners) and 12 common brown rats on board see; http://www.pandius.com/Monster_Manual_2.pdf page 444 and 447. The common rats might reproduce rapidly into a larger number. The ship will not notice rats when the number is lower than 40, and will suffer some hinder if its higher than 60, or major if it is 80 or more. A giant rat counts as 5 normal rats in this formula. Sqig does only want to survive, and will do anything to enable this for him and his giant rats. If ever subjected to a Greater Wererat he will obey it as best he can.

Paco the Talking Parrot (from Lathan's Gold)Status; Captains Pet. ALN, Omnivore(it will digest normally yet actually does not realy need food as it is a magical creation), Size 15 inch tall, wingspan 40 inch,ST 11, IN 19, WI 22, DX 18, CO 9, CH 13, Language; Thyatian, AC6, AV0, HD 3, hp 30, MV 60'/20'FL 160'/60'high speed flying to Specularum 420'/150'MF 1B, Carrying the Ship's Log or any less than 40cn/4 LBS) THAC0 15, Att 1 beak or claw (1d4 damage), no special attacks, Special ability; Full regenerate, High speed flight on return,Immune to Fire, Lightning, Cold, Acid, weapons of +3 or lower enchantment, MR33%, Save as CL5, ML 8(10 near Lathan, 12 on return flight, Body weight 6.5LBS/65 cn As before this creature talks crackingly like a common parrot and may have some seer powers, as it often reveals miniature pieces of information on a location or day just before it begins. It is trained originally to return to Specularum with the ships log, and might do this anew when the vessel is lost or it is sent away by Lathan. The creature has attuned itself to Lathan yet it knows the basic crew by name.
As originally handed to Lathan years ago (on his Lathan's Gold adventure) by an old seafaring woman. it is still unknown to any this simple bird(and the Ships's log) is near indestructible and even if slain or destroyed will fully regenerate in 1 Turn (the log in 1 Hour). The bird is a magical immortal artifact fully resembling a normal parrot. Why this creature is given to Lathan so early all depends on Who was the Old Woman and what was/is her goal.
Last edited by Robin on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Great Robin, very interesting characters to be added to the crew :)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Sturm wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:18 pm
Great Robin, very interesting characters to be added to the crew :)
Thanx

I even have two characters following the vessel, yet need to locate some more details; The Govenor; a wereshark with a hatred to someone of the crew but forced into its sharkshape as long as swimming (otherwise it drowns as it was a normal sailor before and it can't swim or clmb as scurvy caused it to lose fingers and toes)(The Govenor in Shark Shape thus has somewhat mutilated sidefins, this does not influence any of its wereshark stats) and Lucinus; a Narwhal or Dolphin-- I have read its name somewhere but seem to lost its source. These might be seen near the vessel (not constant ---as they need to feed and sleep too) often being slower than the vessel, but will regularly pop up their head from the waves.
Last edited by Robin on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Interesting, well the wereshark could be an enemy of Lathan. The narwhal could instead be a friend who knows the wereshark is up to no good.
On the ship the Vorloi would tend to be sympathetic to Minrothaddan and Thyatian interests, while the Torenescu to Ierendian and Alphatian interests. However so far from the KW, this conflict could pop out only occasionally.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:17 pm

I'd prefer it be an enemy to some other character, Lathan being thus feels so obvious it steals the charm from the other characters, another would/could give more story to it, and hence the campaign.

I'm not sure if Lucinus was a Narwhal OR a Dolphin, I am already on the prowl to locate the canon data on it. I might be confused with other names/data...If I don't locate it I'll create it and use the PC stats of a Narwal cleric to it......................Pcsea people had a 10th level cleric narwal..so there must be more, I might have to use the Gaz 10 mechanic to create an NPC class level list

The Govenor is actually a vaguely canon mentioned creature(PCsea people) which by fanon improved to a personality...yet I have this in German handwritten and have to translate it(and even the stats are totally off..it seems some fan used PCseapeople stats/info for Das Swartze Auge'= "The Dark Eye of the master" system...)

I'll be back on these asap

Patrick
Bugbear

Post by Patrick » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:11 am

Excellent cast of characters! A few notes/questions...
Sturm wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:30 pm
- I would have Elrem as a Minrothaddan dwarf, rather than a Rockhome dwarf...
Does XSOLO (or whatever the original source is) specify "Rockhome"? If so, I'd recommend against changing it... why add more discrepancies into Mystara (enough exist already!)? Could add a different Thadder dwarf instead if needed. If the original source doesn't specify, then a Thadder dwarf (or one from Karameikos) sounds good.
- Stephanos Torenescu, cousin of Alexander, 38 years old and Fighter 12, an experienced adventurer and fighter of pirates, former member of the Royal navy. He does not like Andreanus much, but is normally polite with everyone.
Does he dislike Marius Andreanus or Giorgios Andreanus (or both)?
Robin wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:17 pm
The Govenor is actually a vaguely canon mentioned creature(PCsea people) which by fanon improved to a personality...
I know one of the barons of Undersea was a wereshark, but don't recall others named in PC3. Also "The Govenor" (doesn't mean anything in English) or "The Governor" (means someone who leads/governs, as in the governor of a particular state or territory)?

Patrick
Bugbear

Post by Patrick » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:21 am

Thinking ahead to some potential recruits... PWA3 p. 210 has a crew of a submersible who survived and escaped after being eaten by the Behemoth wash up on the shore of Thanegia Island. They're six "pale-skinned humans" (though "pale" by Yavdlom standards could include humans from most anywhere else). They're taken back to the village of Orji on Ambyrmont 8, 1012 to recover... the timing might be right for The Pioneer to stop in Orji right about when they're eager to move on, or maybe the survivors have made their way to Tanakumba (or another bigger settlement) by the time The Pioneer makes it there.

Alphatia seems like the most likely source of the crew--I can't think of any other human society with submersibles (though I could be wrong). Also, since they're asking for healing, food, and water, it sounds like none of the survivors are clerics, or at least not very high-level clerics. Maybe the ship was carrying a load of food Aquas when the Behemoth, shortly after its escape, devoured them. They could be very interested in a ride home to Alphatia, and the discipline and survival skills necessary to make it 2-3 years on their own would make them a great resource for the crew.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:49 am

Well Elrem is mentioned to be sent by Rockhome, but he has to return to Specularum and he speaks Medusa and Mermen, suggesting a dwarf who has lived near the sea all his life. Canon at the time of the X modules was fuzzy and the Gazetteers did not exist yet. I'd like to give him a particular story, he could well have relatives in Rockhome, Karameikos and Minrothad as it is likely that Known World dwarves have strong trade relations. Elrem could have been born in Specularum from a Rockhome father and a Minrothaddan mother. Probably at some point his mother had a rift with the father and brought him to Minrothad, where he knew the sea, learned Mermen and had some time as a pirate. Later he decided to reconnect with his father and Rockhome. He came to be trusted by his father's clan there, probably the Syrklist, for his world experience but only up to a certain point, hence why he would have been disgraced if not returning. Probably his mission succeeded in 999 AC or so, then he knew Lathan, became his friend, lived in Specularum but maintained good relations both with Rockhome and Minrothad.
Yes, Stephanos dislikes Marius Andreanus, Giorgios is too young for Stephanos to know him well.
The submergible crew in Thanegia is a wonderful idea, definitely they should be Alphatians, and Join the Pioneer.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Patrick wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:11 am
Robin wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:17 pm
The Govenor is actually a vaguely canon mentioned creature(PCsea people) which by fanon improved to a personality...
I know one of the barons of Undersea was a wereshark, but don't recall others named in PC3. Also "The Govenor" (doesn't mean anything in English) or "The Governor" (means someone who leads/governs, as in the governor of a particular state or territory)?
You are right. What I have here is that he was indeed one of the Barons of Undersea. And the name "The Govenor" is actually a local Slang of "The Governor", with indeed the same meaning. He was Baron, Pirate, Pirate-Mutineer, Presumed Dead after receiving the Dreaded Black Seal, discredited in Undersea due this, lost all titles and ownings, his wife and children went away (or were attacked by Devilfish), and abandoned by all he felt the person on the Pioneer he has his fix on is resposible for all of this...as this person was the cause of the Discrediting (at least as far as The Govenor can see, for he still can't understand that maybe that person did spread the rumors and identity of the Govenor due his actions, but he forgets his Pirarte, and mutineering actions, and bad ruling as a Undersea baron...he simply thinks he was not wrong there).

Return to “Mystara”