Adventures in the Shining South

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Adventures in the Shining South

Post by night_druid » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Destruction is useful...in novels. I'm not especially fond of it in RPG settings, however, unless it is the result of a module. The hardest part about a shared setting such as FR is that the RPG part took a backseat to the novel side of things. (Ironic, the FR novel line is pretty much dead at this point.)

Taking a wrecking ball to a setting rarely works. Every time I've seen it tried, it is more or less a Hail Mary that ends with the cancellation of the setting. It drives away old fans and rarely attracts enough new fans to replace the ones lost. FR was very, very lucky 4e did not end with FR's cancellation. If Eberron had the sales, I think 5e would center around that setting and FR would be gone. As is, 4e did so much damage the product line is a shadow of its former glory. Writers should be VERY leery of taking the wrecking ball to an RPG setting, as it is much more difficult to undo such drastic changes than to make such changes in the first place. I take such changes as the last dying gasps, and treat the setting accordingly.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Adventures in the Shining South

Post by night_druid » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:50 am

Heh. I was going through Dwarvish Kingdoms of Krynn (looking for some maps to use in an upcoming adventure), when I came across my copy of Minotaurs of Taladus. Gave me an idea for a new land to add to my campaign. Particularly since, thanks to BONES kickstarters, I have a ton of ogre and minotaur minis. So the League of Talan is born. :)

I'm envisioning an island chain, 500 miles south of Dambrath, about as big as Crete. 1/3rd ogre/minotaur, the rest slaves. Originally it was a monster breeding ground for Dambrath, but the monsters rose up and now are just as big of pirates as the half-drow are. I lifted the five minotaur city-states whole-cloth, save shrinking their population to 1/10th their original values. Nice little pirate enclave for when the party starts to travel about via airship. :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Return to “Forgotten Realms”