Games & Sports played by characters in Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Games & Sports played by characters in Mystara

Post by Havard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Inspired by what Sturm said in this thread about Three Dragon Ante,
what card, dice, and strategy games do people living in Mystara play?

Are there any mentions of such games in canon?

DICE, CARDS AND BOARD GAMES
  • Wizards & Warriors (Penhaligion Trilogy)
  • Deck of Spheres (Card Game, Mystara Game Master's Kit)
  • The Spider's Web (Board Game, M7)
  • "Card Games" (RC) - no specific examples mentioned, but mentioned under the Gambling skill.
  • Orc Wars (Gaz 10)
  • Spottle (Dice Game, Dungeon # 12 adventure "At the Spottle Parlor", set in Mystara)
SOCIAL GAMES
  • Storytelling (Gaz 8Five Shires, Gaz 2Ylaruam )
SPORTS
  • Hardball (Alphatian Ball Game, DotE)
  • Tlachtli games (Azcan Ball Game, Sons of Azca)
  • Gladiator Games (Thyatis, DotE)
  • Jousting Tournaments (Companion Set)
  • Tree Ramming (Troll Sports, Gaz7)
  • Cliff Diving (Troll Sports, Gaz7)
  • Toss- The-Tiger (Troll Sports, Gaz7)
  • Chicken - Kick (Troll Sports, Gaz7)
  • Boxing (RC, HWR3)
  • Wrestling (RC, Gaz 12, HWR3)
  • Diskos Throwing (HWR3)
  • Javelin Throwing (HWR3)
  • Long Jumping (HWR3)
  • Chariot Racing (HWR3)
  • Horse Riding/ Horse Racing (Gaz 12, HWR3, Gaz2)
  • Track Running (HWR3)
  • Boulder Lifting (HWR3)
  • Pankration (HWR3) - combines boxing and wrestling in particularly brutal ways
  • Pentathlon (HWR3) - involves 5 different forms of athletics
  • Mock Combat (Gaz12) using blunt weapons
  • Archery (Gaz12)
  • Polo (Gaz12)
  • Falconry (Gaz12)
  • Fishing (Gaz4)
  • Diving (DotE)
  • Mountaineering (RC, HW) - popular among Kogolor Dwarves. Also a general Skill
  • Stalwart Contests (AC9) - Various physical contests enjoyed by Stalwarts, a kind of 7' humanoids from AC9

I could see the people of the Northern Reaches playing something similar to Hnefatafl

What have you used in your campaigns?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
Storm Giant

Re: Games played by characters in Mystara

Post by Robin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:05 pm

As far as I know Cardgames were just mentioned as card games, so these could include many varieties.

In Gaz Orcs of Thar (or was it Alfheim?) was the ork drinking game explained.

I created a Boulderball game in Glantri

There have been some references of olympic-like games

Thyatis has of course the Arena's and gambling

The Hin of the Shires use a game called Bikkelen in dutch or knucklebones in english (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knucklebones)

The Elf have bow target practice shooting

i can't remember more
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:31 pm

I suppose an harmless version of the Deck of the Spheres could be appropriate in Mystara, i.e. a tarot deck which has instead of swords, batons, coins and cups, fire, water, air and matter. It could have Thanatos and Hel instead of the Jesters.
Games of Dice would be appropriate in Thyatis.
I bet Alphatians have Wizards and Warriors chess animated by magic, probably the game originated there as the chess originated in Persia. The original however could be a Senet like game invented by the Nithians.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:53 pm

I just popped in another idea...
The ethengars might do a sort of polo with horses on a barren field (with no limits) and a lot of clobbering
Or they might do some form of Horse football

The Azcan in the HW did Tlachtli, a violent came with feet, elbows, knees and head to get a hard! leather/wooden ball through a stone perpendicular ring at 6-8'high...I believe this was mentioned in that gazetteer.

There is also an Basic or Expert adventure giving some gamefield, yet I can't remember what game or which adventure

The Alphatians are known to play chess (yet instead towers use elephants, and the horse go 3+1 instead 2+1 diagonally)

Ierendi does surfing (and at least the Captain of the Princess of Ark did so regularly...believing the illustration in Dragon magazine when Bruce had a day of inspiration)

In Thyatis there is also a came of Rat hitting with kids...I forgot where i read this, might be a novel.

Dwarves of Rockhome I think would be loving a game of Bowling (stone pins and ball without holes of course) together with enough booze on days of.

Trolls in Hardanger range had a game of lion bashing...and pulped flesh eating afterwards.
Trolls in general might do eating contests...and this might be a common game in Karameikos by Clergy

and ofcourse the game Mancala (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mancala) would be known in Mystara worldwide
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Sturm wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:31 pm
I suppose an harmless version of the Deck of the Spheres could be appropriate in Mystara, i.e. a tarot deck which has instead of swords, batons, coins and cups, fire, water, air and matter. It could have Thanatos and Hel instead of the Jesters.
Games of Dice would be appropriate in Thyatis.
I bet Alphatians have Wizards and Warriors chess animated by magic, probably the game originated there as the chess originated in Persia. The original however could be a Senet like game invented by the Nithians.
There is a card deck in the Mystara DM's Kit for AD&D. However, it is not very usable.
GP

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:24 pm

I think we are referring to the same thing. It is the Deck of the Sphere, but it is more like the major arcana so I think unusable for a game of chance.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Wouldn't games be a regional thing?

If you had trade-routes or empires, I can see games moving from one place to another place.

But if you had some isolated people, I could see them having games unique to their culture.

There is a real-world game, called Stoolball that dates back to at least the 15th Century, that was played by milkmaids. That is supposed to have evolved into modern games like baseball, cricket, softball and rounders.

I wonder if there are some sort of jobs in Mystara that could work as a way for spreading certain games around.

If you have fairgrounds and entertainers, they could spread gambling games similar to find the lady.

If Stoolball started off being played with the stools of milkmaids, then other games could easily start off with tools, weapons or other equipment.

Playing cards could easily be based on tarot cards, so fortune-tellers could be a vector in spreading those games.

I'm sure you could tie some games in with invented historical events.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 am

I've added the fanon games of "Ghoul Tag," as played by the mesmerized Handmaidens and the kobold young in the courtyard of Gygar's castle, during the opening of TC1 (basically, "Freeze tag," if you've ever played that here in the real world);

also, Kingsman was played in Blackmoor: a strategy/tactics game mostly like chess, but with several different variations on the rules, which can change the number of pieces and size of the hex-based board accordingly. It has figured quite prominently in the Throne of Stars campaign...

Not from Mystara, but I'm stealing it anyway: Storm King's Thunder apparently has a game that hill giants play that amounts to* seeing how many halflings a giant can stuff in its mouth at once.

*see what I did there?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Great input so far guys! Keep them coming!

I wonder if there are mentions of dice, game pieces etc as part of treasures in modules etc?

Here are the ones I've been able to find in canon material so far.

(edit: List moved to OP)

I also wonder if OrcWars might be a game that Orcs play tabletop style?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:38 pm
I also wonder if OrcWars might be a game that Orcs play tabletop style?

-Havard
I think yes, there are notions in Gaz Broken Lands of Humanoids playing the game...
They see it as a mental training for war preparation.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Re: Games & Sports played by characters in Mystara

Post by LoZompatore » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:33 pm

In "Rogues to Riches" novel (pages 47-49) a game called "Foggy Regions" is played in Landfall by local gnomes who invented it.

It is actually a funny in-joke by the book's author as "Foggy Regions" is a RPG where players are "bankers or brokers or merchants or something" and they "live in this far-off world where there is no magic and machines are everything. You ride in them and use them to heat your house and to make things... we call it the Foggy Regions because of all the smoke produced from all the machines. In fact we got one huge city on the west coast called Deep Water, the City of Angels, where the smoke is so thick that everybody who lives there is crazy"

The game was invented by two gnomes named Jebb Gruff and Woody Green :D and it has two full pages of rules, which looks like a ponderous amount of detail for Rengis and Tooles, the two main characters of "Rogues to Riches".

On another note Rengis and Tooles ultimately believe that "Foggy Region" is a pretty silly game and talking with Jeff and Woody they "doubt you'll even get Zebulon from the Secret Masters of Gaming to buy it". This could be a reference to both TSR author David 'Zeb' Cook and to the Mystaran mage who created the House of Zebulon magical item.

;)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:48 am

Great find! Will add it to the list. Love those gnomes!😊

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

oleck
Bugbear

Post by oleck » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm

I created this a time ago if it is usefull for you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R7aQDa ... sp=sharing

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Ok after being steared by our precious Zendrolion in my Research on NW Ethengar, and the section of Glantri towards Dungeon 12 adventure "At the Spottle Parlor" . There is this game explained and declared. As it is typical Mystara, it should belong to this list.
Spottle
Spottle is a simple dice game resembling blackjack. and the Spottle Frog (a new, rare creature to Mystara <AC7, AV0, HD1, HP 6, MV 10'/3', in water 30'/10' #att 1 bite 1d4 dm, SA sticky tongue reach 6'automatically catches 1 item in range of 1cn or less> deliberately bred for use of this game is a very important component). It is a fat green toad, the size of a small dog (or cat). The Toad has short, Skinny Legs and two huge bulging eyes that rotate independently from each other The Toad is covered from head to toe with white freckles. a thin chain hangs around its neck. it looks over the players with disinterest, then sneezes (without any effects other than it is disgusting).
The main rules are explained shortly from here this Dungeon adventure (pages 24-32)
You have the Spottle Master who is in charge of all aspects of the game. His decisions are final. Players play against the Spottle Master, not against eachother.
Each player is required to have two spottle dice which are weighed and treated by the Spottle Master with a rubbing of powdered flies and organic glue(making it more attractive to the frog) prior to use. (1gp in weight maximu, smaller than 2" across. This costs 1cp/dice.
Eaten dices are replaced the next round for 1cp/dice.
Players place a bet in front of them on the table (no limit other than set by Spottle Master. This may be money, or items(regularly standard valued by Spottle Master---Extended statistics of items can be found in the Rules Cyclopedia or What can be Bought.
After bets placed and valued, each player rolls a single dice in clear sight of the Spottle Master and all players.
The SM then rolls 1 single dice on the table in clear sight of all.
Then each player declaires Raise (double original Bet)or Hold(bet stays as is),
Then that players rols 2nd dice.
When all have declared and rolled 2nd dice, the SM makes 2nd roll and does not declare Raise or Hold.
Any Player Dice total 11 or 12 is lose round. SM can roll 11 or 12 without losing.
any roll lower than the SM loses that round.
Any roll higher than the SM the total bet is paid out(doble or orininal to that player
All losses are paid towards the SM (even if doubled).
Maching rolls between Players and SM is no winn or loss
The Spottled Toad may swallow a dice (DM; roll 1d10 for each dice rolled; if 10/0 it is eaten)(never the SM dice as it is trained not to). a swallowed dice counts as a 0, and the player MUST pay a new dice next round.
Another variation is 3 dice spottle raising the bets even higher. When the 3 rolls are made the SM throws an additional 1d2o any player exceeding this roll lose automatically
As the popularity of Spottle continues to spread across the Known World, other variations are sure to develop. Regional versions rumored to exist include Dead Man's Spottle, Fireball Spottle, and the extremely tricky Gelatinous Cube Spottle. The DM is encouraged to explore these and other Spottle variations in his own campaign.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:41 am

This look like animal abuse :) I hope a frog protection society will develop :)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 pm

In Glantri there is (as far as I Imagine) a Dragon Liberation Front...this tiny group of left-wing radocals think dragons are better than humans, or at least equal and thus must not be hunted, robbed, or become components. This group has some strong members but is supported financially by the Drachenfels family.
Maybe these radicals have a even smaller branch of 'Save the Spottle Frog"....or similar.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Robin wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 pm
Ok after being steared by our precious Zendrolion in my Research on NW Ethengar, and the section of Glantri towards Dungeon 12 adventure "At the Spottle Parlor" . There is this game explained and declared. As it is typical Mystara, it should belong to this list.
Nice find!

I will add it to the list! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Sturm wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:41 am
This look like animal abuse :) I hope a frog protection society will develop :)
Well, I know a certain Temple who might take that role... ;)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:24 pm

:P lol

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:12 pm
  • "Card Games" (RC) - no specific examples mentioned, but mentioned under the Gambling skill.
I've heard of some folks playing card games with tarot cards, to simulate in-character games their PCs might be playing.

I think that OBS (DriveThru RPG/DMs Guild) also do Print on Demand cards. So someone could design some fantasy cards, with different games, and a GM could then switch to using them (instead of rolling dice to see what the skill results for card games is).

What might be fun would be to play a real card game, but use dice rolls to allow for "cheating" (like taking cards from the wrong end of the deck or forcing a card onto another character/NPC in the game). Imagine having all the PCs playing a game similar to poker with an NPC and trying to cheat to win. :)

I think it would be fun if two PCs wanted to secretly swap cards (one giving the other an Ace for example) so that one of them could beat the NPCs hand. They would both have to roll dice to be able to deceive the NPC. But they would both have to understand the game enough to be able to guess if the hand they get from cheating might win against the NPC's hand that only the GM would be able to see. :D

And the GM could have two or more NPCs try to cheat, as well. :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Havard wrote:
SOCIAL GAMES
  • Storytelling (Five Shires, Ylaruam. Gaz3, Gaz8 )
Ylaruam is Gaz 2 not Gaz 3.
I would also link Ylaruam and Gaz 2 to horse racing - since Gaz 2 has the rules for different horse qualities.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:28 pm
Havard wrote:
SOCIAL GAMES
  • Storytelling (Five Shires, Ylaruam. Gaz3, Gaz8 )
Ylaruam is Gaz 2 not Gaz 3.
I would also link Ylaruam and Gaz 2 to horse racing - since Gaz 2 has the rules for different horse qualities.
Thanks! I will fix this and add Gaz2 to Horse racing. Good suggestions!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Don't forget to also add Spottle to the Dice games; Spottle. Dungeon 12 adventure "At the Spottle Parlor"

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Robin wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:22 pm
Don't forget to also add Spottle to the Dice games; Spottle. Dungeon 12 adventure "At the Spottle Parlor"
Done :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”