Heroes of the Vale Episode 1

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Heroes of the Vale Episode 1

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:36 am

The first episode of the Heroes of the Vale actual play podcast, set in the Nentir Vale, and GM'd by Mike Mearls, is now available on YouTube.

Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Heroes of the Vale Episode 1

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:00 am

As english is not my mother tongue, I guess I'm missing a lot. Can someone highlight the interesting stuff?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Listening to it now. They have a tendency to speak at the same time which is confusing, but otherwise it sounds pretty good.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:05 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:00 am
As english is not my mother tongue, I guess I'm missing a lot. Can someone highlight the interesting stuff?
The adventure starts in Fallcrest, where the characters are sent on a quest by a wizard who freed them from prison. A comet struck to the southwest of Fallcrest, near the dwarven mining town, Kiris Dahn. Shortly after, the town was abandoned due to an evil NPC/monster called Ruin. It had caused all of the wealth – the coins, gems, ore – to vanish. Ruin covets wealth, but then destroys it. The Deck of Many Things is referenced and the Card of Ruin is given to the party to bind Ruin. The party is given the possibility of collecting the other cards from the Deck after completing this quest.

Torog seems to be a significant threat. As Mike Mearls had mentioned previously, in his version of the Nentir Vale, Torog has collapsed a forest into the Underdark, then pushed a bunch of fungus and aberrations back to the surface – it's called the Cloak Wood. The party trekked through this area in the majority of the episode.

They've reached the ruins of Kiris Dahn at the end of the episode.

I didn't catch what all of the PCs' classes were, but here are the character names and races at a minimum:
  • Keen Dayapreth, an eladrin
  • Penelope "Half-Pint", a halfling
  • Briv Steelmarrow, a half-orc
  • Orkira Illdrex, a dragonborn cleric of Pelor
  • Avren, a human warlock
  • Fla'apper, an aarakocra ranger

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 am

So Mearls retconned Kiris Dahn to be a dwarven town destroyed by "Ruin", instead of a multi-racial town overrun by goblins and renamed Gorizbadd. He also changed the location of the town...

Well, seem my fears were right. The 5e players are going to know a very different Nentir Vale than the original one...

I'm curious about the aarakocra guy. There were no aarakocras back in core 4e, so they have no lore in the original depiction of the Vale.
Havard wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:50 pm
Listening to it now. They have a tendency to speak at the same time which is confusing, but otherwise it sounds pretty good.

-Havard
Yeah, that's why I felt I miss a lot of the talk. North americans speak really fast, and my brain was able barely of translating stuff from one at a time, :lol:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:54 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 am
I'm curious about the aarakocra guy. There were no aarakocras back in core 4e, so they have no lore in the original depiction of the Vale.
Yes, I was surprised by this too. The illustration made the character look more like a RuneQuest Duck so it took me a while to realize it was supposed to be an Aarakocra. I bet they wanted to include that character to make the campaign feel more unique.
Zeromaru X wrote:
Havard wrote:
Yeah, that's why I felt I miss a lot of the talk. North americans speak really fast, and my brain was able barely of translating stuff from one at a time, :lol:
Hehe, to be fair, I have tried to play in a few games via Skype and it is pretty difficult not to interrupt others even when I played with close friends. So I dont want to be too harsh on them. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:23 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:54 am
The illustration made the character look more like a RuneQuest Duck so it took me a while to realize it was supposed to be an Aarakocra. I bet they wanted to include that character to make the campaign feel more unique.
I'm not sure about the rationale, but I 100% agree with you. I immediately thought this was supposed to be a duck. Considering there are grungs (frog folk) and tortles (turtle folk) in 5e, I initially thought we now had duck folk. Weirdest looking aarakocra I've ever seen depicted.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:58 am

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:05 pm
I didn't catch what all of the PCs' classes were, but here are the character names and races at a minimum:
  • Keen Dayapreth, an eladrin
  • Penelope "Half-Pint", a halfling
  • Briv Steelmarrow, a half-orc
  • Orkira Illdrex, a dragonborn cleric of Pelor
  • Avren, a human warlock
  • Fla'apper, an aarakocra ranger
Here is a quote from the blurb from below the video:
D&D Beyond on YouTube wrote:Heroes of the Vale: Episode 1 - The Beginning of Many Things

Cast of Characters:
I'll be interested to know how many of these character options existed in 4th Edition.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
So Mearls retconned Kiris Dahn to be a dwarven town destroyed by "Ruin", instead of a multi-racial town overrun by goblins and renamed Gorizbadd. He also changed the location of the town...

Well, seem my fears were right. The 5e players are going to know a very different Nentir Vale than the original one...

They do have them in Forgotten Realms. The origin story actually has them originating in Maztica.

The Aarakocra article on Forgotten Realms Wiki gives you some of the places they live, on Toril, so you could look for similar areas in the Nentir Vale (as possible places where they might be found).

If they were not in the 4e material, perhaps it would be best if they were inserted into one of the regions of Nerath that would have gotten a gazetteer (if Richard Baker had not been given the sack).
Zeromaru X wrote:
Havard wrote:
Overtalking is a bit of a problem, when you have people doing any sort of online meetup via the Internet. The transmission means that everyone gets "satellite delay". People are used to speaking in a hole in the conversation, but with the delay, people will speak in a hole that also gets filled by another person talking.

If you click on the cog, at the bottom right side of the YouTube video, you can actually change the speed of the video.

Playing it at 0.75 or 0.5 might make it a bit easier for you (although it does sound weird). Playing the video at 0.25 speed seems to cut the sound off.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 am
Here is a quote from the blurb from below the video:
D&D Beyond on YouTube wrote:Heroes of the Vale: Episode 1 - The Beginning of Many Things

Cast of Characters:
I'll be interested to know how many of these character options existed in 4th Edition.
You have a sharp eye! I missed that during Episode 1. I was able to post the full races/classes/character sheets in subsequent posts. I would've had that info faster if I'd only looked below the video. :oops:

Regarding what would've been possible in 4e:
  • There wasn't precisely an Eldritch Knight, but it would certainly be possible to create an eladrin gish of some sort.
  • A halfling druid wouldn't have been a problem.
  • A half-orc fighter who served as a defender (tank) was definitely possible.
  • A dragonborn light domain cleric could be a sun domain cleric warpriest, perhaps.
  • The hexblade warlock was introduced in 4e, if I recall, so this is perfect for Nentir Vale.
  • The aarakocra is the real challenge. As has been mentioned, there were no PC races that could fly at low levels in 4e. This was done for PC balance, I'm sure. There were paragon paths and epic destinies that granted flight, but that was halfway through the campaign, assuming you were going to make it to max level. The beast master ranger was a build in the book Martial Power.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm
The aarakocra is the real challenge. As has been mentioned, there were no PC races that could fly at low levels in 4e. This was done for PC balance, I'm sure. There were paragon paths and epic destinies that granted flight, but that was halfway through the campaign, assuming you were going to make it to max level. The beast master ranger was a build in the book Martial Power.[/list]
I see that kenku PCs can fly at 10th level. The flavor is very different from aarakocra, and that's still 1/3 of the way to max level.

Pixies and hengeyokai can fly at first level, but pixies are tiny and can only fly 5 feet off the ground, and hengeyokai can only fly when transformed into a tiny animal with no combat abilities.

Draconians can fly at first level but are generally limited to Krynn.

Dragonborn can fly at mid- to -high-levels if they select appropriate paragon paths or epic destiny.

So there are some options for an aarakocra if a DM were willing to do some home brewing or heavy reskinning of existing races.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm
  • There wasn't precisely an Eldritch Knight, but it would certainly be possible to create an eladrin gish of some sort.

The Eldritch Knight is 5e equivalent of the swordmage. They even have the same features of bonding with the weapon (tho, the EK can bond with any weapon while swordmages can only bond with swords). The only difference is that the swordmage is a full caster.

Return to “Nentir Vale”