John Carter of Mars core book by Modiphius launches today!

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.” All RPGs based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories can be discussed here.
Cromstar
Ogre

Re: John Carter of Mars core book by Modiphius launches today!

Post by Cromstar »

Yaztromo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:46 pm
Maybe you're right, and I'm just odd in enjoying to play a "normal" person that may (or may not) become special through good choices and good roleplaying, instead of a "special" person, that is special since the very start of the character generation.
I'm uncool :)
That was not a knock at you (if anything, it was a knock at the current state of TTRPGs, honestly, as the current emphasis is one of my general dislikes). I definitely agree that its weird that it would be designed to make it *harder* to design a basic character. 'Take this sword and get out there.'

That said, if I may ask, what kind of character...classes or equivalents...does the Modiphius system have for PCs on Barsoom? I'm genuinely curious because my memory says to me that...everyone is essentially a fighter, using either guns or swords or both (or is a pilot I suppose?).

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

At Step Four (of nine) of Character Creation, you can select one of these Archetypes:
Airship Officer
Assassin
Beast master
Duelist
Envoy
Explorer
Fugitive
Gladiator
Guide
Healer
Panthan
Rogue
Scientist
Soldier
Spy
Last edited by Yaztromo on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

KtA
Bugbear

Post by KtA »

Cromstar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:17 am
I'm genuinely curious because my memory says to me that...everyone is essentially a fighter, using either guns or swords or both (or is a pilot I suppose?).
All the protagonists are, but there are "psionic" characters and super-scientists around as well... Thuvia, Jav, Kar Komak (both "psionic" and a "fighter-type"), Ras Thavas, Phor Tak, Fal Sivas, etc.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

Cromstar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:17 am
(if anything, it was a knock at the current state of TTRPGs, honestly, as the current emphasis is one of my general dislikes). I definitely agree that its weird that it would be designed to make it *harder* to design a basic character.
Maybe people today want to be "special / successful by right of birth" at all costs. Being today a normal person, like anybody else, that succeeds by making the right choices at the right time is boring and outdated. :roll:
I've clearly been left behind. :ugeek:

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

The rulebook is almost 300 pages, but the Talents are not well listed and well explained (there are just examples from ready character sheets and a few talents linked to races and archetypes). As a starting player, creating a new Talent based on guidelines that for me are not that clear was a problem for me.
This was my main issue with character creation.

Return to “John Carter of Mars”