Collecting Dark Sun.

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
Helm
Orc

Collecting Dark Sun.

Post by Helm » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:05 am

Hello, I have played Dark Sun in de 90's but 5 years ago i started collecting everything i felt nostalgic about and Dark Sun is in that category.
I 'm currently 1 book short of completion, The Elemental Priests book, the Gladiator's guide and the Elves of Athas where the hardest to find (save for said elemental book). These ones are the only ones i have paid eBay prices for...

I wonder if there are collectors of Dark Sun here too and how their quest for completion is going and/or went?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Collecting Dark Sun.

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:55 pm

I have to fight my urge to collect things, especially if they're physical products and not digital. I admire the fact that you've pulled together the vast majority of your Dark Sun collection.

Do you still play Dark Sun? If so, do you still use 2e rules? Something else?

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:17 pm

I seem to recall getting my DS collection as one or two lots at auction. That said, at this point, I think I prefer to buy things via Print on Demand rather than used. So if there's anything else I want I think I'll wait until its available on DrivethruRPG.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:04 am

night_druid wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:17 pm
I seem to recall getting my DS collection as one or two lots at auction. That said, at this point, I think I prefer to buy things via Print on Demand rather than used. So if there's anything else I want I think I'll wait until its available on DrivethruRPG.
Same here.

From a collecting point-of-view, I would mostly be interested in hearing what Dark Sun products have items that are not included in PoD versions (as well as hearing what products have not been converted over to PoD yet).

I only have a couple of the Dark Sun products, so buiding up a collection would be difficult, without turning to DriveThru, where I can pay a fixed cost.

(I think that time would be a bigger obstacle for me. I don't really have the time to learn all about Dark Sun and assess which products are worth having. So, I'd rather learn about the setting second-hand, from other fans, at this time.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:27 pm

I own the following:

AD&D 2nd Ed
  • Dark Sun Boxed Set Revised
  • Dragon Kings Hardback
  • Complete Gladiators Handbook
D&D 3E
  • Dragon #319
  • Dungeon #110
D&D 4E
  • Dark Sun Campaign Setting
Not sure what I should get next? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:27 pm
Depends on what you're after, really. There was a huge tone shift from the first box to the revised box, from a bleak landscape to ecological restoration. I prefer the tone of the pre-revised materials, myself, although were I ever to run DS I'd make some changes. Most of the materials I own are pre-revised and they largely fit well together.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:13 pm

night_druid wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:58 pm
Havard wrote:
Depends on what you're after, really. There was a huge tone shift from the first box to the revised box, from a bleak landscape to ecological restoration. I prefer the tone of the pre-revised materials, myself, although were I ever to run DS I'd make some changes. Most of the materials I own are pre-revised and they largely fit well together.
I'd love to get the first box. Is it available as POD yet? Not sure if I could afford it on ebay.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:13 pm
I'd love to get the first box. Is it available as POD yet? Not sure if I could afford it on ebay.
Does not appear to be so yet. The 4e book is there but not the original 2e box. The flip books might be giving them problems.

Helm
Orc

Post by Helm » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:55 pm
I have to fight my urge to collect things, especially if they're physical products and not digital. I admire the fact that you've pulled together the vast majority of your Dark Sun collection.

Do you still play Dark Sun? If so, do you still use 2e rules? Something else?
Ghegh, well collecting is one of my vices and fortunatly i have a mancave where i can hoard rpg's and wargames. :D

At this time i'm not playing DS yet but i'm planning a DS detour from my BECMI Mystara campaign somewhere in the coming years.

@Havard: isn't there a better and/or less expensive alternative than Sillybay in Norway?
I have only turned to eBay 3 times as i turn to the local internet marketplaces and specific Facebook groups.
Oh and get both boxes. :lol:

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Havard wrote:
I own the following:

AD&D 2nd Ed
  • Dark Sun Boxed Set Revised
  • Dragon Kings Hardback
  • Complete Gladiators Handbook
D&D 3E
  • Dragon #319
  • Dungeon #110
D&D 4E
  • Dark Sun Campaign Setting

-Havard
Depends on your aims. I've got the physical revised box and almost everything else from 2e in PDF. If you want adventures, there are several good series. I do like the original Freedom series (following the Prism Pentad events), but also the series composed by Black Flames, Merchant House of Amketch, Marauders of Nibenay, and Black Spine makes for a great campaign.
If you prefer to build your own adventures, then the two MCAs are great resources, and several geographic supplements are available -- the interest of which is highly dependent on where you want to set your campaign base.
For character options, it depends on whether you are satisfied with those presented in the boxed set. The Gladiator's Handbook is not the best resource, IMO, Earth Air Fire and Water and Defilers and Preservers are much more interesting, especially the latter.

GP

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:27 am

I have physical copies of all the printed material form 2nd ed (polyhedron magazines were the hardest to find). Since my copies have been heavily used, I have started getting "shelf copies" of some things to keep them pristine. Currently I only have "Earth, Air, Fire, Water", "Dragon Kings", "The Will and the Way", "Dune Trader", and a 3rd copy of the Revised Campaign Setting box (my second copy I cut up the poster maps to tape together and laminate for my wall, and mounted the cloth map). Hopefully, I can pick up some more things at the next big con I go to in June. I know I am also missing some Spellfire and TSR trading cards, but nothing that should have unknown lore (I have full sets of the main trading cards, and picked up the Graytch one about a year ago, so am only missing about 8 rares).
-Apotheot

Helm
Orc

Post by Helm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:00 am

Wow, they sell old stuff at the conventions? Bugger... there aren't any real conventions here except "Spiel" in Germany.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Helm wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:06 pm
@Havard: isn't there a better and/or less expensive alternative than Sillybay in Norway?
I have only turned to eBay 3 times as i turn to the local internet marketplaces and specific Facebook groups.
Oh and get both boxes. :lol:
There are other options, but there are more offers on ebay and other international sites.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:40 pm

agathokles wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:41 pm
Depends on your aims. I've got the physical revised box and almost everything else from 2e in PDF. If you want adventures, there are several good series. I do like the original Freedom series (following the Prism Pentad events), but also the series composed by Black Flames, Merchant House of Amketch, Marauders of Nibenay, and Black Spine makes for a great campaign.
If you prefer to build your own adventures, then the two MCAs are great resources, and several geographic supplements are available -- the interest of which is highly dependent on where you want to set your campaign base.
For character options, it depends on whether you are satisfied with those presented in the boxed set. The Gladiator's Handbook is not the best resource, IMO, Earth Air Fire and Water and Defilers and Preservers are much more interesting, especially the latter.
You know me well, I think! :)

I generally like to create my own adventures. However, for a setting so different as Dark Sun, perhaps having a few adventures to start out might be helpful. OTOH, the other sources you mention will probably be higher up on my wish list. Great advice, thanks! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Digitalelf
Gnoll

Post by Digitalelf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:19 am

I'm currently missing 6 products from the 2nd edition line.

Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs, Mind Lord's of the Last Sea, Psionic Artifacts of Athas, Marauders of Nibenay, Black Spine, & Forest Maker.

These are at the moment, for better or worse, pretty low on my list of things to get in order to complete my collection of AD&D products (both 1st and 2nd edition).
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am

Windriders and Last Sea I really wouldn't bother with. Windriders is only useful if you're running an all-halfling game, and all of the halflings are from the Jagged Cliffs area. Last Sea is even less useful. More or less a surfer resort with a surprisingly bland backstory and about 2 or 3 sessions of useful material before you've exhausted everything there is to do there. Last Sea should have been a 16-page module, for all there is to do there.

Digitalelf
Gnoll

Post by Digitalelf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 pm

night_druid wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am
Windriders and Last Sea I really wouldn't bother with.
Yeah, the only reason I want to get them is for the sake of completion, and the reasons you site are among the reasons why these six DS products are so low on my list of priorities (as well as why I passed on them back when they were released).
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 pm
night_druid wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am
Windriders and Last Sea I really wouldn't bother with.
Yeah, the only reason I want to get them is for the sake of completion, and the reasons you site are among the reasons why these six DS products are so low on my list of priorities (as well as why I passed on them back when they were released).
Mind Lords was especially disappointing. It sounded so intriguing...a water-rich land run by mind lords able to keep even the sorcerer-kings at bay? Oh that sounds spiffy...nope, no, nada. Glad I got it cheap at auction; I'd be furious if I paid full price for THAT one! :o

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 am

I dug through my collection, and here's what I have:

Revised Boxed Set
The Ivory Triangle
Mind Lords of the Last Sea
Dragon Kings
Slave Tribes
Dune Trader
Monstrous Compendium Appendix II
Veiled Alliance
City-State of Tyr
Earth, Air, Fire, and Water
Elves of Athas
The Will and the Way
Thri-Kreen of Athas
Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs

I know I also have most of the Dragon articles covering 2E Dark Sun, including the silt skimmers article and the life-shapes article.

The only thing I don't have that I look for whenever I'm somewhere that carries old games is City by the Silt Sea, since I like SLH's writing and have mostly heard good things about it.

Return to “Dark Sun”