[Zhalindor] Richard Staats/Dr Games website

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Zhalindor] Richard Staats/Dr Games website

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 pm

I went looking online to see if I could find out who created Zhalindor. I've found a website that looks super-old, that seems to be the website of the creator of Zhalindor.

This page is called Richard Staats at Work and Play and also has some information about another campaign setting (called Khymir), as well as music, YouTube videos and lots of other things that Richard Staats is involved in.

So there is quite a lot there, but as I don't know what Zhalindor is like in Tortured Souls! or GameMaster Publications, I'm not totally sure it is the same thing. And I'm not totally sure what links are about Zhalindor (and what links might be about Khymir or something else) but if anyone has access to the magazines, they might want to dig about, as I think there is some gold here.

Check out this quote:
Richard Staats wrote:Zhalindor is my fantasy gaming world. If you are interested, feel free to run your own adventures there! I would be glad to help you set-up plot lines, etc. Hundreds of gamers have had the pleasure of playing in Zhalindor over some 25+ years. My site includes a large amount of information on Zhalindor. To get started check on the Kernan links (below on this same page) or Zhalindor page. The world is absolutely huge (about ten times the surface area of Earth)! DISCLAIMER: Zhalindor is a collaborative effort. I did not design the entire world from whole cloth myself. You'll see elements liberally "borrowed" from many sources. Check out my article on World Design to see some of the references.
There also seems to be a website out there, by Mark Thomas (one of Richard Staats's players), called: The Zhalindor Campaign.

It looks like Richard has run at least 20 different Zhalindor Campaigns (dating all the way back to 1976). One of his campaigns ended in 2014, but it looks like there are two that are still going,

One of the campaigns that are still going, is called Sins of the Forefathers. I also found an archived Geocities page called Zhalindor Campaign: Sins of the Forefathers (SoFat). I don't know if that same information is somewhere else on Richard Staats's website, but the campaign actually started way back in 2006, so the page might have out of date information about Zhalindor.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: [Zhalindor] Richard Staats/Dr Games website

Post by Khedrac » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 pm
I went looking online to see if I could find out who created Zhalindor. I've found a website that looks super-old, that seems to be the website of the creator of Zhalindor.
Different Zhalindor!
Big Mac wrote:
This page is called Richard Staats at Work and Play and also has some information about another campaign setting (called Khymir), as well as music, YouTube videos and lots of other things that Richard Staats is involved in.

So there is quite a lot there, but as I don't know what Zhalindor is like in Tortured Souls! or GameMaster Publications, I'm not totally sure it is the same thing. And I'm not totally sure what links are about Zhalindor (and what links might be about Khymir or something else) but if anyone has access to the magazines, they might want to dig about, as I think there is some gold here.

Check out this quote:
Richard Staats wrote:Zhalindor is my fantasy gaming world. If you are interested, feel free to run your own adventures there! I would be glad to help you set-up plot lines, etc. Hundreds of gamers have had the pleasure of playing in Zhalindor over some 25+ years. My site includes a large amount of information on Zhalindor. To get started check on the Kernan links (below on this same page) or Zhalindor page. The world is absolutely huge (about ten times the surface area of Earth)! DISCLAIMER: Zhalindor is a collaborative effort. I did not design the entire world from whole cloth myself. You'll see elements liberally "borrowed" from many sources. Check out my article on World Design to see some of the references.
Following these links gets to a map; it is nothing like the map I remember from Tortured Souls. Richard also states that his campaign stated in the "Thousand Isles" which is definiely not a part of the Tortured Souls campaign map.
Big Mac wrote:
There also seems to be a website out there, by Mark Thomas (one of Richard Staats's players), called: The Zhalindor Campaign.
No map, but this campaign is using the Gloranthan deities and calendar. Some of the place names also are from Glorantha - I would place this as a RuneQuest campaign for this reason (no real reason to work on porting the deities unless already using RQ).
Big Mac wrote:
It looks like Richard has run at least 20 different Zhalindor Campaigns (dating all the way back to 1976). One of his campaigns ended in 2014, but it looks like there are two that are still going,

One of the campaigns that are still going, is called Sins of the Forefathers. I also found an archived Geocities page called Zhalindor Campaign: Sins of the Forefathers (SoFat). I don't know if that same information is somewhere else on Richard Staats's website, but the campaign actually started way back in 2006, so the page might have out of date information about Zhalindor.
The links (eventually) to a larger version of the same map. Now it is large enough to read I think most of the place names have been lifted from Glorantha and often are similarly arranged (e.g. Valind's glacier covering the extreme north).

Conclusion: Richard has taken what he wants from Glorantha and re-assembled it to form his own campaign (full marks from me for that).
Looking at the date I would guess at Mongoose RuneQuest for the system, but it could be HeroQuest/HeroWars or any of the earlier Rq versions (or possibly one of the later ones).
It is compltely unrelated to the Tortured Souls campaign (I know nothing about the GameMaster Publications version).
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Although I don't know enough about the Tortured Souls/GameMaster Publication campaign called Zhalindor, it does indeed look like Richard Staats' campaign is a completely different setting. He does mention having taken things from Glorantha, but I can't find any references to the Tortured Souls/GameMaster Publication campaign with the same name.

I suppose it is possible that he also used material from that campaign to create his own or perhaps that he could have just borrowed the name from that source, but since he doesn't mention it, that would just be speculation.

If we can find out more about Tortured Souls, perhaps we can learn if there is any connection.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:47 pm

When was the start of Richard's campaign? - It looks like 2012 or a little before to me. TS magazine was 1980s so at a guess he may have heard or seen the name somewhere but is completely unaware that it isn't original.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:47 pm
When was the start of Richard's campaign? - It looks like 2012 or a little before to me. TS magazine was 1980s so at a guess he may have heard or seen the name somewhere but is completely unaware that it isn't original.
According to the OP, Richard has ran Zhalindor Campaigns since 1976, but it is still possible that these are paralell inventions, or also possible that the name was something he added later on.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:01 am

Havard wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 pm
Khedrac wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:47 pm
According to the OP, Richard has ran Zhalindor Campaigns since 1976, but it is still possible that these are paralell inventions, or also possible that the name was something he added later on.

-Havard
I missed that - good catch. That rather does confirm RuneQuest as the source (the published details of Glorantha were much more limited, so I can definitely see him developing it his own way). I would still go for parallel development, but it becomes equally possible that the "heard or seen the name somewhere but is completely unaware that it isn't original" theory now applies in the other direction - perhaps the TS campaign creator knew one of Richard's players...

Return to “Other Worlds”