Dawn of Defiance!

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Dawn of Defiance!

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 pm

I just realized that in this forum there is no dedicated thread to dawn of Defiance (https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dawn_of_Defiance), a fantastic free resource by the Wizards.
It is particularly good for supporting poor Game Masters [rises his hand resolutely] while learning the ropes (allowing characters growth from 1st to 20th level) and I'd recommend it to everybody.

EDIT: Just in case, here is the official guide for converting SWRPG to SWSE: https://web.archive.org/web/20090602085 ... ersion.pdf, so you can enjoy this great material wheather or not you have exactly that specific ruleset.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: Dawn of Defiance!

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:17 am

Surfing youtube you can also find the opening crawls! :)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm

I did run Dawn of Defiance once -- it took a year or so. It is unfortunately the only campaign available for SWSE, which is my favorite SW iteration.

It is indeed an excellent resource, although growing from level 1 to level 20 puts the system under a lot of stress, as the gameplay and the character building change a lot. Personally, I'd recommend to run one or two brief introductory adventures where the characters can meet and establish confidence before starting the DoD run, and possibly run a few of the later adventures at a slightly lower level, since AFAIR they were quite easy for top-level characters.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:12 pm

agathokles wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm
It is unfortunately the only campaign available for SWSE, which is my favorite SW iteration.
Without too much hassle you can run also Living Force viewtopic.php?f=93&t=19491 that requires just minor adaptation to be run for SWSE. Although it is not exactly the very same timeline, with some minor effort you can move characters from Living Force to Dawn of Defiance and vice versa (if I can do it, then everybody can! :halo: ).

This option of using adventures from both campaigns allows you (if you don't have enough time to draw new adventures with a pace adequate to the pace of the games you run, like me) to start with some introductory adventure, as you suggested, in Cularin (i.e. Living Force: maybe you can run the Eye of the Sun adventure arc or the Price of Business standalone adventure), then run the initial adventures of Dawn of Defiance up to a point (after the third adventure, if I remember right) where the DoD campaign itself suggests you to provide alternative adventures to your characters (as the campaign moves to a timeline sometimes in the future and you may want to fill this gap with alternative adventures), so you can go back to the Cularin system (for example to the Clouds of Genarius and/or Between the Worlds adventure arcs) and then you can return again to DoD to terminate the Sarlacc project, before moving to the Cularin system for the last time.
It works fairly well.
Last edited by Yaztromo on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Cool! I've still to read the Living Force material in detail. Seems I need to find some time to do it.
GP

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:21 am

There is indeed a lot of Living Force material: about 150 adventures (some stand alone, some more in trilogies) and lots of extras, such as articles, interactive sessions, campaign notes, guidelines, etc. It takes quite some long time to read it all in detail.

Sharkbelly
Bugbear

Post by Sharkbelly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:17 am

I ran Dawn of defiance as well. We enjoyed it but it ran into some of the problems that high-levels D20 campaigns can have. The characters can become quite cumbersome.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:11 am

I still didn't have enough experience of high levels for this specfic ruleset to make my mind up, but in general there are often issues with rulesets with levels when you reach high levels...

Return to “Star Wars”