BECMI version of Tongues?

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

BECMI version of Tongues?

Post by Big Ulf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:30 am

Thieves and MUs can Read Languages by skill or spell...but only the rarely-used Mystic can Speak other Languages, at least in RC rules. Sounds due for a little rules expansion if none exist (and they might - anyone know?)...

1e had the "Tongues" spell, anyone have a home-brew version of that which works?

cheers

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Re: BECMI version of Tongues?

Post by barrataria » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Here's what I put in my Companion Expansion as a 3rd level M-U spell...

Range: 0’
Duration: 1 turn

This spell grants the creature touched the ability to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature, whether it is a racial tongue or a regional dialect. The subject can speak only one language at a time, although it may be able to understand several languages. The spell does not enable the subject to speak with mute creatures, amplify its voice, or charm or influence other creatures. It can be made permanent with a *permanency* spell (q.v.).

Sorry for the formatting, typing on a cell phone.
Companion Expansion and adventure modules for basic and expert games: free for download and always in print (on demand): http://www.barrataria.com

Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Post by Big Ulf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:20 am

Hey thanks!

Someone else wrote in the Clerical level 6 spell Speak Wth Monsters, which I guess could also work!

It feels like a good L4 M-U and Clerical spell to me.

BTW which Companion Expansion did you write?

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Post by barrataria » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:26 pm

Companion Expansion and adventure modules for basic and expert games: free for download and always in print (on demand): http://www.barrataria.com

Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Post by Big Ulf » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:35 pm

tx

Return to “Classic D&D”