'Dungeons & Dragons' First 2019 Book Will Have Nautical Themes

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

'Dungeons & Dragons' First 2019 Book Will Have Nautical Themes

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Dungeons & Dragons will be getting wet with their first publication release of 2019.

Nathan Stewart and Kate Welch confirmed today on D&D's Twitch channel that their upcoming book would have at least some nautical themes. The new publication is scheduled for a Spring 2019 release.

While no title or details were revealed on Stewart and Welch's monthly Twitch show, Welch did show off four mock covers, each of which featured different water-themed titles like "Under the Sea" and "Long Walk, Short Plank" as well as covers showing off different nautical or sea-themed artwork. Most of the cover art was a joke, but one did use official Wizards of the Coast art of a sea serpent, which we used for this article's header.

A description on all four books read "Everything you need to float your boat for the world's greatest roleplaying game." Although the reveal was lighthearted, ComicBook.com confirmed that the teases weren't entirely a joke and that the upcoming book would have at least some nautical elements.

Interestingly, the D&D team released a playtest late last year titled "Ships & the Sea" which was about exploration and roleplaying options on a boat. The playtest included roles that players could take on while sailing, as well as rules for controlling ships. The most interesting part of the new rules were that boats were given their own monster statblocks, complete with Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores. Given the recency of that playtest, we wouldn't be surprised if the new rules were featured in this upcoming product.

Stewart also confirmed that the D&D team planned to release three projects in 2019, including releases planned for the spring, summer, and fall. The game's new adventure will also be revealed at a now annual streaming event that will be held in Los Angeles in May.

The new book, according to Welch, is at the final editors and will likely be sent to the printer in February. We'll likely get an official announcement about the next Dungeons & Dragons book soon.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/04 ... -nautical/

Will this rethread any older edition sea based adventures?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Re: 'Dungeons & Dragons' First 2019 Book Will Have Nautical Themes

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Sling yer hooks, Lads & Lassies! Its about time this edition set sail! Yaaaaar!
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:44 pm

Maybe the Bruce Cordell Evil Tide 2e Trilogy, Night of the Shark, Sea of Blood. The Saltmarsh series is Greyhawk, the Known World X1, Latham's Gold, X6, X7, X8 and X9 all had sea qualities but...Al Qadim had some but, that would be introducing a new setting.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 am

DirtSkull wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:44 pm
Maybe the Bruce Cordell Evil Tide 2e Trilogy, Night of the Shark, Sea of Blood. The Saltmarsh series is Greyhawk, the Known World X1, Latham's Gold, X6, X7, X8 and X9 all had sea qualities but...Al Qadim had some but, that would be introducing a new setting.
We are likely to get Al-Qadim in 2020, and they mentioned that they will explore different cultures in 2020.But the NEW setting......I have some doubts about this.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:15 am

This quote is actually taken from Spoilers & Swag and they have only given you two of the four titles, from the demo covers.

Long Walk, Short Plank

Under the Sea

Thanks for the Fish

Boats and Shite
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:57 pm

As a Freeport fan, I will be very curious about this book!

(I will also be comparing it to the third-party Pirate Campaign Compendium, which I backed on Kickstarter and expect to receive in hard copy within the next couple months.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Somehow, I don't see them actually using that fourth one as the title.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Well, there's the pirate area down between Amn and Tethyr; I imagine that's the likely setting. Or perhaps sail south and west to discover the Isle of Dread out beyond Chult.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm
LOL!
I once proposed a slogan for a cruise ship marketing campaign «We're Full of Ships!».. we all had a great laugh around the table but it was rejected. :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm
Me neither. And given the way that Kate Welch kept waving her hand around in a circle in front of three of the four pictures, I think the other one ("Long Walk, Short Plank") is the artwork they are working on for the actual book.

I think it will either just be "Of Ships And The Sea" like the Unearthed Arcana article, or it will be a product based around an island chain and ports along the coast of Faerûn.

They have explored a couple of the regions of Faerûn now, so we might get sidebars with information about ships from Chult, Al-Qadim, Evermeet, Lantan or Maztica.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:02 pm
They have explored a couple of the regions of Faerûn now, so we might get sidebars with information about ships from Chult, Al-Qadim, Evermeet, Lantan or Maztica.
It would be very interesting to see them detail Maztica or other portions of the setting that have seen little love since the '90s. Al-Qadim seems like it's maintained a bit more interest than Maztica over the decades, so I'd be less surprised by this one.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 am

"Dungeness & Lagoons"
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 pm

I'd love to see some sort of pirate campaign setting. I don't know enough about the FR to guess where it would be set, but I'd like to see something with a Pirates of the Caribbean type vibe.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:29 am

finarvyn wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 pm
I'd love to see some sort of pirate campaign setting. I don't know enough about the FR to guess where it would be set, but I'd like to see something with a Pirates of the Caribbean type vibe.
I think the Sea of Fallen Stars region is a possibility. I am no FR expert, but there was a book called Pirates of the Fallen Stars. Other relevant books might be Sea of Fallen Stars, the novel Under Fallen Stars and maybe combine this with the Sahuagin module series?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 am

Havard wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:29 am
I think the Sea of Fallen Stars region is a possibility. I am no FR expert, but there was a book called Pirates of the Fallen Stars. Other relevant books might be Sea of Fallen Stars, the novel Under Fallen Stars and maybe combine this with the Sahuagin module series?
There are two main pirate-themed areas of the Forgotten Realms.

Sea of the Fallen Stars - the central islands are home to dozens to a few hundred pirate ships. Pirates of the Caribbean without the cannons, basically.

Nelanther Isles - directly west of Tethyr, these islands are home to humanoid pirates that chase ships traveling to and from Tethyr/Calimsham to the Sword Coast area. I suspect this will be the area in question, given its proximity to the Sword Coast/Chult area.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:04 am

A lot of Drizzt books are about chasing pirates along the Sword Coast with the Sea Sprite ship of Captain Deuermont. However, this was before 4ed. Pirates were mostly humans, but that does not mean much as Salvatore does not care a lot for previous lore in general.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”