[The Chain] Matt Colville's The Chain Campaign Live Streamed

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[The Chain] Matt Colville's The Chain Campaign Live Streamed

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:50 pm

Episode I: Red Sky at Morning

Episode II: Soldier Take Warning

Anyone else watching this? I'm following them on YouTube rather than on the live stream. It is refreshing to see a game run by regular gamers rather than voice actors.

Matt made some controversial decisions in the first episode, but he discusses these in this campaign diary video..

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: [The Chain] Matt Colville's The Chain Campaign Live Streamed

Post by timemrick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 pm

I probably won't watch the streamed game (I'd rather devote that kind of time to prepping or playing my own games, or catching up on my TV binging ;) ), but i did watch the campaign diary. Some interesting stuff there, but it's still a much bigger time investment than his Running the Game stuff.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm

timemrick wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 pm
I probably won't watch the streamed game (I'd rather devote that kind of time to prepping or playing my own games, or catching up on my TV binging ;) ), but i did watch the campaign diary. Some interesting stuff there, but it's still a much bigger time investment than his Running the Game stuff.
I prefer his campaign diaries. The first session was pretty cool, even though it was a railroad (intentionally). I felt the second session dragged on though. I do like that many of the players are inexperienced, but it also makes it a bit tough to watch at times.

I am fascinated by Matt's world and the mythology he has created.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm

I've not seen this yet.
Havard wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm
I do like that many of the players are inexperienced, but it also makes it a bit tough to watch at times.
I guess that, with Matt Colville's "anyone can do D&D" attitude, it makes sense for him to bring some inexperienced players to the table. People watching will be able to learn, while the players are learning.
Havard wrote:
Do you think that Strongholds and Followers is going to evolve into an entire world?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm
Havard wrote:
Do you think that Strongholds and Followers is going to evolve into an entire world?
I wouldn't say that S&F, per se, will evolve into an entire world, but...
  • Colville's streamed game is using the same homebrew setting that he used for his last few D&D campaigns.
  • He's done a lot of worldbuilding videos (gods, lords, etc.) in preparation for running this game, so viewers have access to the same world info he's given to players so far.
  • He's devised new or variant classes for a couple of his players, which will undergo their initial playtest as part of the game.
  • He's using the retainer rules from S&F to flesh our the mercenary company the PCs lead.
  • Given the military set-up, I imagine that he will inevitably employ the simple warfare rules in S&F (and/or the more detailed system that will be MCDM's next book) at some point in the campaign.
  • I haven't read the new monsters section of S&F yet, but there is definitely some mythology there that he created out of whole cloth, and will likely use on "The Chain" as the campaign progresses.
  • Green Ronin's setting book for Critical Role sold really well, so there's definitely a market for setting books for popular Twitch shows.
If "The Chain" is anywhere remotely as popular as the stuff Colville has done so far, I would be shocked if he didn't release a setting book once he feels there is enough material to warrant it. That's probably still quite a ways off, thought, because the campaign has only just started, and (based on S&F) Colville seems pretty committed to thoroughly playtesting any material before he publishes it in book form.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”