Mystara Icons listed in latest issue of Threshold fanzine

Discuss Pelgrane Press's 13th Age rules here. Discussion of the Dragon Empire campaign setting can also be held here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Mystara Icons listed in latest issue of Threshold fanzine

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:53 am

I love to see 13th Age mechanics used in other systems and settings!
https://twitter.com/ThePiazzaForum/stat ... 9067020288

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Mystara Icons listed in latest issue of Threshold fanzine

Post by agathokles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 am

Thanks! Let me know if you have any comment or thought on the article.

GP

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:43 pm

agathokles wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 am
Thanks! Let me know if you have any comment or thought on the article.
I know relatively little about Mystara. But as a possible follow-up article, have you considered that the Spheres in Mystara could work well with the 13th Age Glorantha Rune system. That system serves as a substitute for icons in 13th Age Glorantha, so you'd generally use one or the other, but not both in the same campaign. Something to think about.

Thanks for including 13th Age in Threhsold! Please ping me if future articles make use of 13th Age concepts. I'd be happy to spread the word to the 13th Age community to boost the signal on future articles as well.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm not familiar with Glorantha and it's 13th Age incarnation, unfortunately.
OTOH, I may be able to pull some other 13th Age-related article -- for example, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the item books.

GP

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 pm

agathokles wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 pm
I'm not familiar with Glorantha and it's 13th Age incarnation, unfortunately.
OTOH, I may be able to pull some other 13th Age-related article -- for example, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the item books.
That would be awesome! I'd love to see what you come up with. :)

Jer
Kobold

Post by Jer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 pm

I loved this article - I've been meaning to do something like it for my own purposes, but since my current 13A campaign is in the Dragon Empire - and my current Karameikos campaign is a 5e one - I haven't needed to. But now I'm realizing all sorts of ways I could bring this into my Mystara game even if we aren't using 13A. So thanks!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:33 pm

Jer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 pm
I loved this article - I've been meaning to do something like it for my own purposes, but since my current 13A campaign is in the Dragon Empire - and my current Karameikos campaign is a 5e one - I haven't needed to. But now I'm realizing all sorts of ways I could bring this into my Mystara game even if we aren't using 13A. So thanks!
That's awesome feedback, Jer. Thanks for sharing it.

If you ever run a Mystara game using 13th Age, I hope you'll provide some details on the conversions and house rules that you use to make it possible. I'd like to know more about Mystara than I do, and talking about it in 13th Age terms would go a long way toward drawing me in.

Jer
Kobold

Post by Jer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:33 pm
If you ever run a Mystara game using 13th Age, I hope you'll provide some details on the conversions and house rules that you use to make it possible. I'd like to know more about Mystara than I do, and talking about it in 13th Age terms would go a long way toward drawing me in.
I will - though I don't think that Mystara needs too much in the way of house rules beyond figuring out how the icons play into the setting, a few rules for some of the more interesting races if the players want to use them (like the rakasta or the lupins) and some of the more unique monsters. It's more thinking about the mindset switch - a lot of my Mystara experience is in lower level campaigns, but back in the day I ran a campaign that got into higher levels and had the PCs dealing more with the movers-and-shakers of the world. That's the kind of thing where I think the 13A rules would shine - both because of the assumption that the PCs have a relationship with the movers-and-shakers (because of the Icons rules) and because 13A lends itself to that kind of high-level play because it assumes that the PCs are big damn heroes right out of the gate. If all of the PCs have a hook to one of the major power players in the setting, and if the players all view their characters as highly competent characters unlikely to get killed by a random goblin arrow, then it's easier to get them pulled into one side or the other of a major intrigue plot - or war - between the nations (or between the Immortals - which, depending on the campaign, might be synonymous).

But right now my 13th Age group is exceedingly happy with the loose structure of the Dragon Empire, and my Mystara group is a group of kids who specifically want to learn to play D&D because they have the starter set. So it may be a while before I get to run a 13A game in Mystara (though I'm already figuring out ways to backfit the Icon rules into Mystara - if only for my own benefit as a DM to come up with plots).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:52 am

Jer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 pm
It's more thinking about the mindset switch - a lot of my Mystara experience is in lower level campaigns, but back in the day I ran a campaign that got into higher levels and had the PCs dealing more with the movers-and-shakers of the world. That's the kind of thing where I think the 13A rules would shine - both because of the assumption that the PCs have a relationship with the movers-and-shakers (because of the Icons rules) and because 13A lends itself to that kind of high-level play because it assumes that the PCs are big damn heroes right out of the gate.)
One of the things that makes Mystara unique, in my limited experience, is the Immortals rules. Perhaps they were rare to actually see in play, but I'd be curious to see how people converted them for 13th Age.

Jer
Kobold

Post by Jer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:52 am
One of the things that makes Mystara unique, in my limited experience, is the Immortals rules. Perhaps they were rare to actually see in play, but I'd be curious to see how people converted them for 13th Age.
Yeah - I think it would depend on where I wanted to go with the game. For most of the campaign the Immortals are fine with being just like the way I run the Icons - fairly distant plotters who you'd interact with mostly through their agents. But as my games move into late Champion tier, my players have been interacting more directly with the Icons they have relationships with (and that mirrors how I ran high-level Mystara games way back in the day).

But now in my 13A game my players are Epic level and I feel like if it were a Mystara game it would be clear where they would go next - I'd start dropping hints about the Paths of Immortality and see who bit. There's also the possibility that they would try to tackle one of the Entropic Immortals and I'd need to figure out stats (honestly I'm a bit worried that that might be the direction the 13A game is going - the direction of the story seems to be drifting towards the PCs trying to take down an Icon, and I honestly am not sure yet how I'm going to deal with that mechanically...)

Return to “13th Age”