Goodman Games OAR3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Goodman Games OAR3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 pm

The third installment in Goodman Games Old Adventures Reincarnated is Expedition to the Barrier Peaks:
Gary Con is over and it was a great con – it was great to see everyone and see the community running all those great games! And it was equally great showing off a lot of news and upcoming product to all the Goodman fans out there.

At our “What’s New With Goodman Games” seminar we announced several new projects, and over the next several days we will posting details on the projects that were announced. Today, we start with a question that everyone was asking about: what’s next for Original Adventures Reincarnated?

We’re very exited to announce the next release in our Original Adventures Reincarnated line: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks! As with previous releases in the OAR series, this one will include scans of the original 1E editions, a conversion to 5E, and new 5E material filling in some gaps from the original 1E module.

OAR3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks is slated for a September release. It will be solicited to distributors soon and will be available for pre-order once the book is at the printer.

Originally run was a tournament adventure at Origins II, the adventure was published by TSR in 1980. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks is a famous adventure module, because it mixes “science fiction” and “fantasy.” For this reason it is both well known, and an enduring favorite for those who played it during its heyday. The 5E conversion is consistent with the original design principles, and also offers new avenues for exploration.

In the adventure, characters come across a spaceship that has crash landed into your fantasy world, and have to deal with the consequences. Which include robots, plant people, and a zoo of alien creatures. And ray guns. It has ray guns.

The OAR volume will also include complete scans of the original 1E publication. This includes both the adventure booklet as well as the extensive book of handouts that was part of the original publication. Dedicated fans may already know that the handout art changed between printings. Three handout illustrations were changed between the first (1980) and second (1981) printings of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, and most of the remaining handouts were renumbered. The OAR volume will include scans of both versions of the handout booklets. For those of you who have an old ragged copy of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks in your personal collection, you will be able to discover which set of handouts you never had the chance to see before!

OAR3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks joins the first two books in the series—Into the Unknown and Isle of Dread—very soon! In the meantime, be sure to check out the first two books today!
http://goodman-games.com/blog/2019/03/1 ... rier-peaks

This is the first OA book to revisit an AD&D 1st Edition adventure.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Re: Goodman Games OAR3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:09 pm

I'll strongly consider getting this one too, despite the thick book format that GMG is using. I understand they are doing this more for the "homage" than usability at the table, but for f***'s sake guys, would you at least publish a separate map booklet to go along with the main homage book this time? Pretty please? ;)

I had hoped they were staying with the BX series, but this is an interesting module that I never did run bitd, so it'll be new for me and my players too. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 pm
Really?

They claim that OAR1: Into the Borderlands and OAR2: The Isle of Dread are both 1st Edition products too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 pm
Havard wrote:
Really?

They claim that OAR1: Into the Borderlands and OAR2: The Isle of Dread are both 1st Edition products too.
They are both based on Classic/Non-AD&D products.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 pm
Havard wrote:
Really?

They are both based on Classic/Non-AD&D products.

-Havard
It is a bit muddy, I think. Both B1 and B2 state that they are made for Basic D&D, but suitable for AD&D as well. X1 is explicitly written for the new Expert set, of course. So, one might state that all these are for Basic D&D, not AD&D. S3 is explicitly written for AD&D.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:51 pm

So much for my dream of a DA3/S3 mashup for Wizards' next storyline.... :(
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Finally, an 100% Greyhawk OAR module. And because Goodman is doing it and not Wizards, it should be free of generalized setting appeal and, worse, Forgotten Realms rape and pillage.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:50 am

I wasn't at all interested in OAR 1&2; I ran both adventures at the very beginning of my D&D career, and have the Next playtest files for the Caves of Chaos if I ever want to run it again.

However, I already knew that I wanted to try running S3 again using 5E. And I'm pretty sure I'm willing to pay $50 to save the work of converting all the weird tech stuff myself.

I'll almost certainly be running it as a standalone adventure rather than as part of a campaign. The only 5E "campaign" I've run is the first couple adventures from Tales from the Yawning Portal for my wife and kids, and we don't play that often enough for them to be sufficiently high level for S3 for a long while yet.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:07 pm

I may have been a player (not DM) for this adventure. Reading the synopsis this adventure would be a great fit for Numenera.

grodog
Hobgoblin

Post by grodog » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

We're also trying to work on including the Origins 2 tourney version in the reprint: https://grodog.blogspot.com/2018/10/mod ... peaks.html

It's not a done-deal and may still not happen, but we're trying!

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Hm, didn’t WotC recently reprint the entire S-series?
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Falconer wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:16 pm
Hm, didn’t WotC recently reprint the entire S-series?
Indeed, the AD&D Dungeons of Dread Hardback from 2013 was a reprint of S1-4, which includes Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (S3). Now that is already 6 years ago so this hardback might be difficult to get.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Good thing there is a Barrier Peak in Nentir Vale. This is the first 5e adventure I will be awaiting with hype, lol

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 pm

grodog wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm
We're also trying to work on including the Origins 2 tourney version in the reprint: https://grodog.blogspot.com/2018/10/mod ... peaks.html

It's not a done-deal and may still not happen, but we're trying!

Allan.
Oh, now that would be the icing on the cake! After all, GMG had 2 versions each of B1, B2 and X1 - why not two versions of S3 featuring the tourney version from 1976 and the 1980 'polished' version! :mrgreen:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Return to “Greyhawk”